True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  05:53:26 AM  Show Profile
...and how do you wear it?

My favorite way to wear my hair is in a ponytail. Sometimes I will also wear it in one braid down my back, sometimes in a messy bun sort of thing. I wear my hair down sometimes but not very often. I like to keep it contained for the least amount of damage.

Barbara

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper
www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  06:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Barbara,

There was a topic on this not long ago in Farmgirl Fashion. I've got long hair - although it's really more medium length. It's below my shoulders with long layers, in any rate. I wear it down most days (to work). At home and to sleep, it's in a pony tail. I do occassionally twist it up - like a french twist and put a clip on it - and leave a tail to cover the clip. It's professional enough to wear to work and it keeps it out of my way. I know it can be in the way, but it's heavy enough that too much time up makes my scalp hurt! Hope you get some good ideas - and new ideas, if that's what you're looking for!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  07:28:06 AM  Show Profile
I have long hair - almost to my waist. I wear headbands a lot to keep it out of my face. I work at a computer all day and nothing drives me crazy faster then hair falling into my face while I'm working. Twisting it up into a clip, twisted into a bun and secured with small clips around the edge, and pulled back into a pony tail are typical ways I wear it. On special occasions I'll put it up in hot rollers and pull it back on the sides with barrettes. I also will occasionally do intricate braids. I try to braid it at night as I read that it helps prevent breakage.

Holly - totally understand the scalp pain issue. There are days where the weight gives me headaches. Usually changing how I'm wearing it helps.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  09:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I had hair past the middle of my back for the last 12 years, I just had it cut to chin length! I like it alot this way! But it is harder to pull it back in a clip tho..lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  09:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Long hair to my lower back. I typically keep it in a braid. Sometimes clip it up or pull it back. I have started wearing it down sometimes, but half the time I end up braiding it anyway to keep it out of my way. lol

I don't color it. Don't mess with it. It's just easier. Of course I am beginning to worry a little about the growing amount of gray! But, oh well. I earned them!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Barbara, Here is the tread I stated awhile back. :) http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41212
Hope it helps!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Mine is finally long now. Down to the middle of my back. When I go out say to like church, I just wear it down. (I have bangs) and when I'm at home, it's in a messy bun on low ponytail. Too easy for the kids to rip out Mommy's hair will little fingers if it isn't up. :D
I am addicted to clips and scrunciis. :D
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  7:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I used to have long hair, but then I cut it for Locks of Love. I'm growing it out again, but it's such a long tedious process to let your hair grow out!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  05:45:04 AM  Show Profile
I wear mine in a ponytail almost all the time hubby likes it down but I cant stand it in my face. Some times I wear it in a clip too. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  11:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll I have long and really thick hair (turning gray now but it was blond). I wear it up in a ponytail or with a twist and in a clip. If you work around tractors and machinery then it better be contained or it will get caught in something and your head could get chopped off so all you sisters that work around moving parts please be careful. Love our long hair but keep it close to your head so you can keep your head. Also, don't want it in cow pies when your working around cattle.

Love and prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  09:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks farmgirls! I enjoyed reading about how y'all wear your long hair. I am just obsessed with my ends. LOL. I have to be because my ends are so prone to damage. I trim a tiny bit 3 or 4 times a year and rub oil in my hair at every shampoo after I have towel dried. I have tried several oils, and the only oil that seems to help my hair type is castor oil in which I put a few drops of gardenia essential oil. Does anybody else oil their ends too?

I also checked out the older post about hair in the "fashions" thread that I hadn't seen.

Barbara

- Edward Hopper
Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  1:45:14 PM  Show Profile
For most of my adult life, I wore it long, a little past my waist, it wouldn't grow longer than that. I either twisted it up, wore it in one braid, or most of the time wore it in two braids, tied off with rawhide.

For the last several years, about seven years, I've been going to the salon and getting it cut in short layers, about to my shoulders. I can still pull it up into a funky pony tail.

Now that I'm older, I'm a little vain about my hair. I'm still blond, but more like a faded blond. So my hair dresser gives me blond high lights. I LOVE them!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  2:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, Thank you for all your great posts! I have worn my hair long - between mid-back and past waist my entire life. But, I would not be able to have it long if I didn't oil my ends. I am nnow in my 50s (omg, so hard to believe!) and I still have long hair. My older sister has short cropped hair that is somewhat frizzy as she getrs perms and dyes it a strawberry red color - and she is constantly trying to convince me to cut my hair like hers(!). OMG, I don't want to do that! :((( I keep my ends really nice, and I think I look good with long hair - I think ANY woman looks good with long hair as long as she maintains it and it is not full of splits. I just have this little nagging feeling that my sistr is jealous and that is what is compelling her to try and make me cut my hair. :(( I have heard that you should ALWAYS trust your intuition, that your intuition doesn't lie to you. I havew been around and around with all sorts of weird jealousy type little issues with my sister over the years, and she is being really pushy about my hair. I think my hair looks really nice. So do I trust me or her? She is tryign to make me think that I look horrid with my long hair, and honestly, I do not agree with her and think she might have "ulterior motives" in trying to push me to cut. It's pretty sad when you can't trust your older sister. Please Farmsisters, what are your thoughts on this?
TIA,
Barbara

- Edward Hopper
Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Long, down past my waist. I wear it in a ponytail - either with a clip or in a braid. lately, the wind's been blowing so wildly here that neither is really helpful, but I do my best!!!!! And Barbara, you wear your hair the way you want to. I'm 51, and my grandmother had long hair until she was in her late fifties, when all my aunts ganged up on her and talked her into cutting it. It's your hair - not your sister's. Celebrate your individuality!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  3:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have long hair but mine has always been so fine and thin, almost like baby hair. To make things worse I am a swimmer so it is shoulder length for me. My dream would be to have long hair like the rest of you so enjoy it since not all of us can grow our hair long.
Barbara,
Please don't cut it unless you want to. My daughters and I have seen makeovers on TV and usually we decide that the people looked better and younger before someone chopped their hair off and coated their face with makeup. Look how beautiful Mary jane is with her long hair. My grandmother on my father's side wore a long braid down her back until the day she died and that is one of things I loved about her. I have always liked people who do what they like and not what society thinks they should do. Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't feel comfortable with and especially a decision that would take so long to change if you weren't happy.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:35:23 PM  Show Profile
I have long hair down to my waist and I am 53. I refuse to cut it because every time I did I regretted it big time. I usually wear it in a pony tail or braid to keep it out of the way when I am working. I wear it loose with the fronts clipped back in barettes when I go to town. My mother tried to get me to cut it all off saying I was too old to wear my hair long when I was in my late 30's but I just ignored the input.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

peebs
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Yannira
Connecticut
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:52:19 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up, my mother always kept my hair and my sister's hair very long (about waist length). She would often put it in a braid. When I was about 15 I finally got it cut to about my shoulders. I have curly hair so it's hard to keep up with, It's heavy and takes me a while when I want to blow dry it straight. It's past shoulder length now, but i wish that it was waist length (that way it wouldn't poof out as much on humid days).
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:06:07 PM  Show Profile
I have long hair. When I am playing (working) outside, I usually have my hair in a ponytail. I don't wear it down that much.
Yannira: My hair does a super poof on those humid days. LOL
I have friends/family who often say, "you should cut that hair!" I tell them only when I am ready will I cut it. I like having long hair. My hair is curly, and the longer the better; much easier to control.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  03:48:00 AM  Show Profile
I have long hair a bit past my shoulders.

due to the extreme dust, I wear it bunned up at the base of my neck. Or on hotter days piled up on top of my head almost in the center.

On days when it's really hot, I'll wear a do rag.

As a kid my hair was kept super short and I was always being confused for a boy.

I'll trim the ends 3-4" 3x a year. Hevent blow dried my hair in over 15 or more years. Even in winter it drys pretty quickly .

Last time I had it styled was in '07 for my brother's wedding
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Barbara - I oil my ends. Read about it a couple months ago on a website and started doing it. I found Grape Seed Oil works best for my hair. I agree your sister is probably jealous. Men love long hair and mine would kill me if I cut it short.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who has long hair... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page