Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  11:07:17 PM  Show Profile
I love the new genealogy badge! Know Your Roots made me start thinking about history. I've had conversations with friends about museums, historical sites, etc. We all agree that we tend to neglect the local ones, thinking we could get to them anytime. Then we never do. So I was thinking, what if we had a Know Your Local History badge, to motivate us to visit local historical sites and museums? It's an inexpensive, often free, way to learn about our area, and if we were born and raised in there, it connects us to our roots. If not, it helps us feel more a part of the community in which we live.

Kyria
www.crossyr.blogspot.com

Sell Books Online at Cash4Books.net
http://www.cash4books.net/index.php?ref=122916

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kyria,

That kind of sounds like the Outstepping intermediate badge:

Intermediate Level

Photo document all the watchtowers, lighthouses, old mines, and other historic locations in your area in a 100-mile radius.
Go overnight camping away from it all (campground camping doesn’t count).
Learn how to read maps with a compass and landmarks.

We may be able to expand on it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, Kyria, what a great idea! This is great for the urban and suburban set, since there's always more history in the town than most people realize while living in the area.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  12:56:10 AM  Show Profile
I think there is something in this Kyria. There is a differance between knowing about lots of places in a wide area and knowing a lot in depth about a small one.

I have seen the Outstepping badge and to photo document all the historic locations within a 100 mile radus for me would be the work of several livetimes. Completely, totally and utterly unfeasible. To focus in on the history of my own town would be a lot of work but realistic - I guess it depends where you live

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic Local history badge? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page