kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  6:36:15 PM  Show Profile
I have finally reached that point where I am sick of how I look. Which is a 52 year old woman who looks like she's 8 months pregnant. I mean really, how many 52 year old women do ya'll know that are pregnant? Probably NONE. But that's just what this one looks like. I have never been this big. And it's mostly around the middle. Which is not a good thing. Heart attack waiting to happen here.

Ok, I am going to just come out and say it. I am nearly 240 pounds! OMG, that felt good to be able to come out and say it. I am a closet fatty. I am coming out now. I am big! I am sick of it. I have got to do something about it. Why can't I be as adament about sweets as I am about not shopping at Walmart and not eating anything but grass fed meat and my own veggies and fruits? And cloth shopping bags? ANd goat milk? What is wrong with me?

SO tonight I said I was going to start walking. And I did. I said I would walk for 30 minutes. I was 5 minutes in and it felt like an hour already! Good grief. But I kept going. I actually ran a few times. A big truck went past me and there was a nice breeze for a few minutes. Then nothing. I talked to the horses across the road. Told them what I was doing and they will be seeing me every day now. They are looking forward to that, I can tell. They just kept munching. It's nice to have a little company out there. I saw the biggest jumping spiders ever jumping across the road. A big huge grasshopper. A wooly worm. The neighbor mowing his yard. Another neighbor bush hogging the big huge pastures that were getting overgrown. And all the pretty hereford cattle eating grass.And they got their driveway paved. Looks nice and neat now. And I was sweating like a fat woman walking for 30 minutes.

Then hubby called. He asked what I was doing. I told him I was walking. I am tired of being fat. And have you noticed how fat I have gotten, I asked him? Oh, you aren't fat, he says. Sweet man. But he did say I better be careful. It's awful hot out there. And almost dark. I shouldn't be doing this right now. I might kill myself. He's so thoughtful, he is. And he also said I should go slowly. It took a long time to get this way. Yep, he said that. He surely did. Anyway, I still love him.

So I am going to walk every evening now. I am telling everyone here that reads this that I am in need of some encouragement. I am needing to be accountable to someone. So please ask me if I have walked. If you see me anywhere on here at a time I should be out walking, ask me why I am not out walking.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  7:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
Good for you. I like your honesty. Years ago (about 12), I had to loose 50 pounds. I did it by walking 6 days a week, 40 minutes a day. It took me four months. I also cut out sugar. Absolutely none. No chocolate. No brownies. I have kept the weight off since. I now walk, at least, four times a week. My walks now are 40 minutes to an hour. If I feel really good, I walk longer. I do have a little chocolate, but not every day. I had to get to the point you are now. When I was reading your post, I was smiling thinking of how I had that same realization. So, keep up the walking. Share with us. Share with me, I'll motivate you as much as I can. I realized that I had to loose the weight for only one person, me. Good work Kris. Keep walking.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  7:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Marly. Sweets are my downfall. I LOVE them. And I cannot stop at just one of anything. I love chocolate too. I know that denying myself sweets is not a good thing. But if I can give sweets up for 40 days of Lent, I can do it. Maybe I can have something sweet only on Sundays.

Thanks for your support, Marly. And for your story. Good for you for keeping it off. I hope to also.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, good for you. I walk twice a day with my dog, Molly. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it is painful, but the walking helps. Maybe you should rescue a dog for a walking buddy. I will encourage you, you are on the right path.

P.S. I almost have the shawl done! When it's a little cooler out, you can wear it on your walks!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  02:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Kris! I need to lose at least 60lbs! I want to walk, but the grands come so early. I barely have time to take care of the barn critters and take a shower before they get here. I know I could make a million excuses, but I just need to find the time. Right now, I am taking my grand Kaylee to cheer leading every evening.
Okay, you were talking about moving; you just need to move near me, and we could walk together!
Big ole Hug,
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  04:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Been there, done that ... and you can too. Age is just a number, exercise is good at any age (I'm 61). Once you get into the routine of it, you will feel so much better and your body will miss it if you don't walk or do something active. But the body is a tricky bugger and will sometimes try to fool you into thinking it ain't gonna happen. Encouragement is definitely a requirement of success. :-)

You go, girl.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  04:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone. Gena, we are so much alike it's not even funny. That's exactly how much I'd like to loose too. Plus 60 more! And I would love to live near you. I do like N.C. So who knows?

Diane, I have to put my dogs in the house when I go. Bubba could never go with me because I'm afraid he's try to kill the neighbor's dogs. He's awful about other dogs. And Sophie and Zoe are 13 and very slow now. I live way out in the country and people think this is a race track. They do fast out here. But last night I only saw 2 trucks.

Carole, it will take alot to get me going and to keep it up. I have a real big problem of starting something and not finishing. I get all fired up at first then something will happen to throw me off then that's it. But right now I think I have had enough and want to do it.

I feel pretty good this morning. I thought I'd be sore. It will come, I'm sure. Thanks for all the great encouragement!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  04:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Any possibility of finding a walking partner to help keep you motivated?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile
I can't walk and talk! I am huffying and puffying too much. I'm better by myself. But there are a few others who live out here that might join in. As long as I don't have to say anything! And my DDs bothe walk too. I could go to town and walk on the walking tracks. But they are so boring. Around and around. I don't like that. At least out here there are things to see and animals to talk to on the way by.

You could come on down though. I don't know where Clarksville is but it's probably not too awful far away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  05:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Kris, you go girl! Take it easy though, don't do too much in the beginning. Work slowly but steady to where you still feel comfortable. But you will do it girl, you've got lot's of support here.

I bike and walk every day for my job. No I am not overweight but just excercising is good for everybody. YOU girl, YOU ROCK!!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  08:10:10 AM  Show Profile
I love to walk I have no excuses I have been trying to lose weight too and have but now need to amp up the exercise I have hit a snag. I was going to town and walking everyday but the gas prices just killed me so I quit I live on a busy dirt road and and any car that goes by kicks up so much dust that I can't breath. I even have a tread mill too. I am A slacker....
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  08:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Kris,

How awesome! I would also like to encourage you in your commitment :) Try not to do too much at first, you don't want to overdo it. Walking is great exercise and you are on your way! I would like to suggest that you set your weight loss goals smaller. Take it 5 pounds at a time. It will help encourage you even more.

I started Weight Watchers in June and have lost 11.8 pounds, still more to go but I am getting there. This may be something you might want to consider too. The first couple of weeks were a little hard, but it is second nature now learning to make healthier food choices, portion control and tracking what I do eat. You know, sweets have ALWAYS been my problem but the cravings are going away since I have been eating more produce and whole grains :)

I'm proud of you!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  08:17:10 AM  Show Profile
kris i think this is great. when we lived in santa barbara ca. i walked almost every day. i loved it so much. i would walk for hours. i also really enjoy riding bikes on rural roads. i used to take a lunch and ride the whole time my 5 yr. old was in kindergarten. when the bus brought him home i would be there and we would walk home together. as i walked each day i grew to love my walks. i needed my walks. keep on keeping on happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
Good for you sweetheart. Do it for you, and don't be so hard on yourself. And remember that we farmgirls love you just the way you are. Wish I was closer, I'd walk with you, I miss having a walking buddy. Good for you to take care of yourself. We'll keep cheering you on!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY!!! KRIS!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!
I'm a "wogger" . . . which means I combine power walking with some jogging. Been doing it for decades . . . and, yes, it is an ingrained habit. But it for my total whole well-being, including time to "decompress" and pray. If I have a headache or pain in my back it ALWAYS helps.
So, I encourage you . . it's good for you all the way around!!!! HANG TOUGH!!!
You can email me if you're feeling discouraged about it . . .and, certainly to celebrate too!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  3:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Way to go girl. I am trying to lose some pounds too for my small frame. So I Have been working out at Curves 3 or 4 times a week and trying to walk on the days inbetween or work outside so I am moving. It is my eating now that I need to change. I like sweets oh good gracious do I like them. SO i am trying to rework my eating so the two togehter will work better and hopefully I will lose some of those pounds but I am like you I need accountability...I need encouragement. So you go girl. Hubby is right bout taking it slowly at first though.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you guys are just GREAT! I am so happy to see allof my sisters here for me. And I want to be here for those of you who are doing this also. I hate to excercise but like to walk. I have done WW years ago and did great but the pounds crept back on plus some. But I always seem to do good at walking. I had thought about Curves to. So that's something to look into. They are all over.

It's only 102 today here. I have been out in it all day too. Me and the middle grand went shopping all day. I took the oldest yesterday. I am not cut out to do all day shopping 2 days in a row. I don't like to shop anyway. But I had fun with them. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow. Poor Kansas will have to wait til Friday. Give me a break.

Nicole, I have to be hard on myself or I won't do this. I am already dreading going out tonight in this heat. But if ya'll can do it I can too. And it's only half an hour anyway. I might not be going as fast tonight.

Thanks ya'll so much for being here for me. I just hope we can be an encouragement to each other now. I feel so good about doing this just knowing I can come here for support from ya'll. I love you all.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, walking works. Take it slow at first and work your way weekly to longer times.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Kristin I'm cheering you on too!
I am in the process of losing weight as well. I started the Sonoma Diet 6 weeks ago. lost 12 lbs. so far. My biggest obstacle is exercising - I work at a desk all day, try to take 10 min walks at breaktime, but by the time I get home, make supper,I find the couch more appealing.This heat wave we're getting doesn't help. But if you can walk in 102 weather, I guess I should atleast hop on my treadmill in the AC for a few minutes. You go girl!!!
Brenda

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  6:03:04 PM  Show Profile
You go girl! Your getting me motivated - if you can walk in this heat than I can too. Was going to start taking my dog for a walk right after work just as soon as the weather cools down (I'm really good at putting things off).
Have you heard of the Flat Belly Diet. Prevention magazine has some info on their website about it but my daughter found the book at Good will and it explains how fat works and how we accumulate it. On their diet you eat good healthy fats at every meal. Things like olive oil, flax oil, nuts, DARK CHOCOLATE-looks to me like something I could do.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, there's another 1 1/2 miles under my belt. Man, it's stinkin' hot out there! My head was just soaked. But a nice cool shower with peppermint soap sure cools me off. And a nice cold glass of fresh kefir is so good right now. There was a lot of traffic tonight. I hope ya'll had a good walk too. I enjoyed the company!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  6:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, that sounds like a good diet. I do use alot of olive oil and put flax seeds in my smoothies.I know we need fat in our diets. Our bodies need it. Did you get to walk tonight?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  7:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I just got an order from Mountain Rose Herbs & one of the things I got was cacao nibs.. They taste like chocolate but have no sugar. Maybe something that could be added to yogurt with honey..
Did not walk today Kris (had a church thing tonight)
But I will double down tomorrow!!!
3 miles at least!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  04:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes I did. But I am sore now. I hate this part. The first few weeks are awful. I have to make mysef go. The front of my legs hurt. I don't have good walking shoes but those will have to wait right now. These are pretty good but not made for fast walking. The cacao nibs sound good. I took my granddaughters out Monday and Tuesday and they both wanted Chinese food. Monday I did ok and no sweets but yesterday didn't even think about it and ate the little chocolate espresso cakes. I love them. Then got a frosty. Good grief. So I hope I walked off all those bad calories.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  05:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Bless you, Kris. I really needed to hear that someone is in the same situation as me. I have never been this heavy in my life -- including in any of my pregnancies. I will walk today and hope you will check in with me too to make sure that I have. I had been avoiding the scale but was sooooo aware that I have only been wearing things with elastic waists for way too long. I can't believe that I weigh 200 pounds but I do. Thank you so much for motivating me--my big issue is with soda pop. I drink almost nothing else.

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  06:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Starletta. I have never been this big either. Even pregnant. It's bad. I am also thinking of the health benefits of losing this weight. Our insurance keeps going up and our co-pays do too. If I ever had to go to the ER it's $250 right off the bat. I can't afford to get sick or have health problems. Hubby has enough for the both of us. Last year a doctor told me my cholesterol was a little high and I might need to get on meds. I said nope. What can I do to help it? She said excercise and eat right. Take fish oil too. So I did start the fish oil. The easiest thing. And I do eat good foods. But too much. So I need to cut down.

I hope we can all do this together. It sure helps to be able to check in here and just say how I am feeling. Big help to know there are others just like me too. I really wish there weren't though. But that's life.

I need to send you a kambucha scoby. It's way good for you and you can make it fizzy like pop too. If you want some, I can send it. Let me know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I Started Walking Today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page