Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 new treasure in the basement...sewing rocker?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic new treasure in the basement...sewing rocker? Next Topic  

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  6:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Well I was cleaning out for a garage sale and bringing up more stuff from the basement. I thought I had already found all the antiques I wanted to keep from down there. There was this one petite armless rocker with painted brown wooden legs and old faded rotten upolstrey( sp?) When I got it outside the material was so bad I started to rip it off. I realized that it was not originally an upolstered piece. It has a beautiful tooled leather seat The whole chair is painted. From the underside it looks to be cherry. It took awhile to get the old tacks out because the were so rusted, Whoever put them in was not a professional as they were put in very haphazardly. The "stuffing under the material was a few old pillows and bunches of scraps.
The chair is armless. It is about 32" high. The seat is 14" deep and about 15" wide. the back is like a "T" back chair except the top of the T has a hump in it. I tried to date it online but the best I could come up with was about 1920 "T" back. Ladies or sewing chair. ( I love to sew) It came from DH family but he had never seen it without the material on it. His Mom's things were more European as she was 2nd generation Hungarian. He thinks this was from his Dad's side and it does indeed look to be American. They go back several generations in the south east.
Does anyone know anything they can tell me about this type of chair. ( I would post a picture,but have not figured out how to do this yet.) It is too big to be a little kids rocker, but almost to small for me and I'm only 5'2".
Needless to say I did not sell it. I cleaned it up and It's in the bedroom, tack holes and all. We have too much furniture now, but I just can't get rid of an antique. Ever since we got married I've been bringing up things and cleaning them. What fun it has been. But there isn't any more room!!! Can't sell them I don't have the heart. My best friend even has some of my family things on permanent loan. Just so they will be enjoyed.
Okay I've babbled enough. Give me opinions on the chair, or sites that might be of help.

Thanks.....Teddie

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  7:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I have a similar sewing rocker. Also from the south; mine has a cane seat. I am 5'2" and it is tiny for me. I found that mine was Eastlake, around the 1910-1920 era. It has some primitive carving on the T-back. Does yours?

I have heard they are short to make it easy to reach into a sewing basket, and have no arms, so your arms could sew without restraint.

You must have a wonderful basement! Full of undiscovered treasures...is your house old and from your family?

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 25 2006 7:03:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Mine is solid wood except for the leather seat. My grand mother used to sit on one of the little chairs from my table , when I was a child. She said she could rest her work in her lap. This rested her arms and she could see better also. I guess all the reasons explain the short chairs.
I moved into dh house,( 2nd marriage for both. we are 53) It was built in 1991. We have a little over 3000 sq ft. But we combined my stuff, his stuff, and now I'm bringing up his parents stuff from the basement. There is an Oak secretary in the basement that is a soon to be project!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  10:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's some amazing history there. You've unearthed treasures and that's so exciting.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  05:29:43 AM  Show Profile
My mother had a little sewing chair for years- my sister now has it. It also had a caned seat. I have never seen one with a leather seat- I bet it is beautiful! What a little gem you had in your basement!
I bought a rocker at an estate sale last year that has a rush seat, very low and with a perfectly curved high back. It is just right for knitting or sewing in. ( And I know it will come in handy for rocking grandbabies- if I ever get any!!)
I hope you will use your new-found treasure and give it a new chapter in it's life!!

Karin

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic new treasure in the basement...sewing rocker? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page