LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:59:33 PM  Show Profile

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the cleaning board, but I elected for here!
We live in a very old house, that has always got its water from an artesian well. I loved that water. Clear, cold, clean. In the interests of making more money, our township ran water lines a few years back. By last fall, they were insisting that we had to hook up to those lines, or start paying fines.
So now, we have public water inside the house(but still have an outdoor faucet right outside our patio with the well water!) which I really, really dislike.
It is hard, it at times reeks of chlorine, I don't trust it. I'm drinking less water, especially now in the winter, since we've had to turn off the outside water, because its not insulated and the pipes would freeze. Otherwise I'd be drinking that well water!
So. The water is so bad, that over the past 7 months, my dishes have been coming out of the dishwasher just awful looking. It's definitely a hard water deposit, even though I was told that public water is softer than our well water. Not. About once a week, I was soaking everything in vinegar to try to get the horrible white film off the dishes and silverware.
One day, we had butchered and cut up a bunch of our meat chickens. I put the cutting boards and utensils we had used into the dishwasher to make sure they got sterilized. I decided I wanted them REALLY clean, so I decided to pour some vinegar in the dishwasher before I turned it on.(I use vinegar as a germ killer)
When I opened the dishwasher when it was done, I got the biggest surprise! I was so shocked, I was yelling "it's a miracle!"!!
Everything in that dishwasher was just sparkling clean! I couldn't believe it! All the white hard water spots were gone, and my glasses were so shiny! I thought it might have been a fluke, so tried it again next time I ran the dishwasher. Same thing!!! I have been so excited that I just had to share this!
I use about 1/2- 3/4 of a cup, or, a couple of glugs from the vinegar jug. I was just so amazed at this discovery that I had to share it with whoever can use it!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:47:27 PM  Show Profile
I use vinegar in my wash water. I have to hand wash everything around here. I guess that makes me the dishwasher. I don't think I could handle the vinegar in me though! Wow! Talk about takin your breath away! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! What a cool discovery. Can't wait to try it. Our well water is so acidic that we have to run it through a neutralizer that is full of calcite before it gets to the house, or else it will eat our pipes up. As you can imagine, it then brings in all of that calcium to deposit. I am definitely trying this!! Thank you.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Awesome tip! I will be trying this, too!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can also put vinegar in your "Rinse Aid" container in your dishwasher :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Brenda when we had to change over from our wonderful well water to piped water my whole family got sick. I even had to go to the hospital for tests because my stomach hurt so bad. I hated it. We left the outside hook up too. And vinegar is a wonder fluid. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  06:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Is this red or white vinegar?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  06:19:12 AM  Show Profile
I'll be trying it too. Our water is very hard and things come ut looking not that spiffy!

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  11:24:32 AM  Show Profile
i will definitely try this when i get a new dishwasher. i hate washing dishes. I just feel like there are so many other things i could be doing while the dishes are washing in the dishwasher instead of me standing there washing them by hand.

Here comes the warmer weather!!! May God Bless all of our gardens!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that derserves to be published in the MJF mag! Do you just pour it into the bottom of the dishwasher? I want to do it too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Whitney Maldonado
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Whitney
Brenham Texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Psalm 51: 10-13
[/quote]Try running plain, white vinegar through your coffee maker once a month or so to keep it from getting calcium build-up. I can tell when my coffee starts running slowly, it's time for vinegar.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm so excited that you all are excited about my discovery too! :)
Alee- I always keep vinegar in my rinse aid compartment, but it had never really worked like that.
Nancy, I use white vinegar, and buy it by the huge jugs, because I also use it for cleaning and laundry.
And, Jeannie, yep, I just pour it right in the bottom of the dishwasher, add my soap to the dispenser, and turn it on!
Whitney I do that too! I really think it makes a difference how the coffee tastes too.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:39:44 PM  Show Profile
When you run the vinegar thru your coffee maker do you run water after to rinse? Or can you just make some coffee? I have used vinegar to clean my shower glass doors. The hard water makes them dull. In the past I have tried all the other stuff you see on tv but the vinegar works the best.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  7:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I just wanted to thank you sooooo much for sharing your vinegar discovery! I have been doing like you instructed and am putting vinegar in the bottom of my dishwasher. I am only having to use 1/3 cup! But my hubby has commented on how clean the dishes look now and how sparkly the glasses are. And my stainless - on my. I can see myself! Thank you so, so much!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Another great white vinegar tip: If you have clogged drains - pour some baking soda into the drain, followed by white vinegar, watch for the reaction -when all the fizzing dies down follow it with hot water and ta da! Unclogged drain and sweet smelling sink!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Brenda,

Thanks for the tip! I have noticed my glasses and stainless looking a little "dingy" recently. I will definitely be trying this tonight!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Poor baby, about the loss of your well water. We love ours -- it's so sweet and wonderful. The water in town tastes like clorox. Yecch!

Thanks for the tip about using vinegar in the dishwasher. I use it for everything else, but never tried that.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My accidental discovery.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page