Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing Milk Next Topic  

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I've switched our family to organic milk - specifically Horizons in the 1/2 gallon cartons. I can purchase it much cheaper at Sam's (in a 3 pack) than I can at my local grocery store. Question is, can I freeze it? I bought a 3 pack today - hoping to make some yogurt, pudding, etc - but freezing would be wonderful. Any experiences to share? Oh - it's 2% - reduced fat, if that matters.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
I have frozen milk before with good results. You do have to take some off the top for the expansion or else the carton might burst, it would deffinitly bulge. But to thaw it you have to let it completely thaw in the refrigerator, some think it is watery but I couldn't really tell the difference. I have also frozen cottage cheese, now that does have a texture change, it doesn't change the flavor, but does get a little grainy. The cottage cheese you make yourself and hang on the line for the whey to drip out freezes wonderful, as you put it in without the added cream. I haven't frozen any milk or cottage cheese for a while. Hope this is helpful for you. Luv, Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile
We've frozen milk as well. I have not noticed any difference in the taste or in using it for cooking either. I'm not sure what the "official" time frame is for keeping milk in the freezer, but I've had milk for a few months (maybe 3-4) and used it with no problems, although I try to freeze in small portions so we don't have spoilage after thawing because I'm also not sure how long it would keep after thawing out! I generally will freeze it in an amount that we'd use within 3-4 days.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  08:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the information. As it is, looks like my husband is going to drink it before I can get it to the freezer, but I will remember this advice for my next monthly shopping trip. It will save me a ton of money, and I'm all about that these days!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile
My son in law has been freezing milk for yrs and I have just put a 1/2 gallon in the freezer at the lake...when I go back next week I will thaw it in the fridge and see how it works!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing Milk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page