rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  1:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Made the MJ Budget Mix scones today. They are VERY tasty, a bit more cake-like than I prefer. I usually make my scones out of a recipe that's remarkably similar to my biscuit recipe but has more sugar and real cream in it. So mine are a bit more crumbly than cake-y. But I had to add about 1/2 cup more flour after I stirred the batter. It didn't form a stiff dough at all. It was extremly wet and sticky.

Also, the finished scones are the size of my hand! I can't eat that much of anything so I think I could have made a dozen biscuit-cut scones instead of 6 wedges.

Now I know I often say I don't cook, but I do bake. Grandma taught me and she was an amazing baker.

Anyone else make the scones yet? What was your experience?

Well, tonight, it's Bakeover time. Potatoes and chicken and such. And just so my finicky teen will come to the table, it will be like an "open-faced" chicken pot pie with a bit of cream of chicken soup in the vegie/chicken mix.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  2:47:50 PM  Show Profile
I've made the scones before, and I really liked them, too - I added about that much more flour and 1/4 cup sugar to the batter - and used frozen mixed berries. I just loved them, and so did everyone at my house!!!

I hadn't thought of using a biscuit cutter - good idea! It's always fun to eat a couple of something anyway....

MMMmmmmm.....a potato chicken bakeover! Yum! I made a potato/garlic/cauliflower one last week and absolutely loved it, too. Let us know how "he who is finicky" likes it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic One down - dozens to go Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page