Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I did it! Woot! Woot! I did it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I did it! Woot! Woot! I did it! Next Topic  

Boxbreaker
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Tia
Lancing TN
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Made pickles that is . Probably not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things except that I've been wanting to can for years. I've had my supplies gathered since 1998 and gardened for years. The biggest problems were that a: my organic garden in Florida never yielded enough to preserve and b: I had no one to teach me (just a confidence issue). But I made applesauce this fall and my landlady came and made apple jelly with me a few weeks ago.

Here in TN my garden is doing great! I'm going to be moving away from it next week and won't really see the bulk of the harvest. But we've had a steady stream of cucumbers and greenbeans. Last week I made freezer dills and I've frozen 4 qts. of beans but when I got 8 more this morning I figured we already had more dills than we'll prefer to eat and it was time to try Bread and Butters.

So anyway....I've got 4 pts. of pretty green pickles in the kitchen! Happy Birthday to myself; this was a great accomplishment for me and I feel like I just checked something substantial off my "list". Might be silly but thar it is!

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people because they enact their dreams into reality with eyes wide open.

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  2:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks great Tia. I made a batch of Strawberry Jam this morning. I was my first time too. I love the feeling of making food for my family that I have grown myself. Plus it taste oh so yummy.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Tia -

That is great. Doesn't it feel good to have accomplished something that is so good for you and looks pretty in the jar too? We don't have cucumbers yet, still too early. It is wonderful you have learned to do this. I tell you it is a dieing art, not many can anymore.

Again good for you for accomplishing this.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  2:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Don't all of those little jars just look like jewels on your shelf? I love canning - even in the heat!! Congratulations on a job well done!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Tia! I remember how proud, excited, etc., I was when I canned for the first time. Enjoy your pickless!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  9:04:31 PM  Show Profile
All of you canners...be sure to photograph your canned goods. I canned most of what we ate years ago when I had a huge garden and four little ones to feed. So there was alot of canning. I also made tons of applesauce and applebutter from the apple trees. Plus blackberry jam (yum!) from the four long rows of berry bushes. But sadly (even though I am an amateur photographer) I did not get any pictures of my pantry. I so long to have a photo of it and remember what a great accomplishment it was. Every time I think of it I get mad at myself for not thinking to get some pictures.
So get that camera out and get those pictures...someday you may want to show your grandchildren.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I did it! Woot! Woot! I did it! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page