snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering, for those of you out there with little ones, and a farm, how do you make it work? I have 4 little girls, two are babies that we are fostering. We live on a small hobby farm with some goats, rabbits, chickens, and I find it hard to get it all done! How do you find the time to get out there with the animals when you have little ones in the house that need you so much??

Would love to hear how you balance it all!! :)

Michelle
www.snowberryfarm.blogspot.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
Well Michelle I wish I had an easy answer for you. I guess it is priorities. I raised 4 daughters--all stair steps--they are grown now and doing well. Even as toddlers they were always outside helping with something. Sometimes you have to make work for them to do so you can get your work done. With babies you have to get outside while they are sleeping.
So good luck and don't dwell on what you CAN'T do but what you are doing. Don't make life hard on yourself. My thoughts are with you and the girls. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 girls really spaced out, 16, 10, & 2. We have a very large garden and a few acres we are converting into a farm. My hubby helps with whatever he can, usually more if it involves power equipment. I have found that a sand pile or sawdust pile will entertain little ones for a while. There is also anything involving water or mud, it's like a magnet to kids. My 10y/o will play in whatever the 2y/o will to keep from havin to weed. I have even tilled up a little patch beside the garden to let the girls dig and bury anything they want.

Sometimes it's neccessary to get a babysitter for really intensive stuff, like canning days or tilling days, but I find a slightly raggedy lookin garden with my girls involved is better than a picture perfect plot without them. I have such fond memories of my grandparents and parents gardens and the time I spent in them with them. I also remember spending long weekends with my aunt at her farm helpin to feed and water the animals. I don't remember much about the cleaning, but I do remember hosing out the bird runs. That was fun!

Look for ways you can make memories for them about animals and teach them about the whys and hows or farming and animals. They'll learn and love it, at least parts of it. I still hate rheas and always will, evil birds!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile
When my boys were little I had a back pack for them. It was great, they were outside and I could get a few things done. It was an alumin frame one.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  12:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
I know exactly what you mean. I have a 4 month old right now and he cat naps throught the day and I can't get enough time at once to get anything really accomplished. I don't know how I'm going to get things done once spring gets here and theres a garden and lawn to mow, etc. I've come to the conclusion my house will never be clean all at once ever again. :-)

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  5:25:50 PM  Show Profile
You just have to learn to breathe. When I had four little ones I did not get a lot of big jobs done. I just had to breathe through the need for me to get something accomplished. Now that the children are teens I get a lot more done. they even help with the jobs now. I convinced myself that they are only young once and time will pass and the jobs will eventually get done.

If you get overwhelmed you could hire a mother's helper, get yourself organized and go at the list.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Annalisa
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Annalisa
Fort Collins Colorado
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:31:04 PM  Show Profile
I so hear you. I presently have older children to help with the younger (and we do foster care for up to 2 babies at a time as well:) What are the ages of your girls? I agree...BREATHE :) Enjoy the season:) IT's crazy and exhausting and life is constantly going. You probably have parent visits and county meetings in addition to all you do too! Get what done what you can during nap time. If you need to do it mostly by yourself due to the ages of your girls I'd encourage a mandatory rest time :) I still do this with my 10, 8 and 6 year old.

Be encouraged, you're doing a great work!

Having lots of kids doesn't make me any different than mama's with one or two...I just cook in bigger pots.
Go to Top of Page

ShilohsHaven2011
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachel
Crossville TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  10:18:31 AM  Show Profile
I have an almost 4 yo lil girl and an 11 yo stepson. Me and DD are usually the ones who do the gardening and all. When she was little, I had a forward facing carrier that helped alot with the garden and the animals. I later found a metal frame backpack carrier on ebay dirt cheap! I still carry her in it...every now and then! :) When she was close to a year old, she would sit in the garden and "help" me weed. She had more fun putting soil on the dog that anything else! Being exposed at a young age to the animals, too, will be good for the children, too. DD loves being around our friends horses and our chicks. She loves to help with the feeding of our menagerie, too. She even has her own garden bos that she gets to plant whatever she wants. Last year she planted zinnias, spinach and lettuce. They grew better than my spinach and lettuce!
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all that's been said. Don't get focused on what's not getting done, just be proud of what does get done. I involve my two year old in the cooking as well as doing dishes and hanging laundry (although he just plays around me while I do that). He loves it and it keeps him engaged and not getting into trouble. I have a four month old and she just has to sit in her chair sometimes, and it's okay for her to do that, even if she doesn't want to and cries. You're the one that has to get stuff done and they need to understand that chores need to get done. It's not going to go all day, just for a time. I'm also not sure how gardening is going to go this summer, but I'm still going to try!

Also, look at Flylady's system of housecleaning. The website is a little overwhelming, but the basic idea is to break up your house into manageable chunks that only take you an hour max a day. I find this to be very doable, and when I can keep it on a regular schedule, my kids know that this is mommy's cleaning time and they seem okay with waiting that hour. Or I just put 15 minutes in here and there. You'd be surprised what you can get done in 15 minutes.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic How do you do it?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page