natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  11:44:42 AM  Show Profile
My 2 1/2 y/o has decided she wants to go to her potty. The only problem is she insists on bein completely naked to do it!

She stays very cold all the time since even her house slippers are unacceptable.

There are no accidents so far. She does wonderful holdin it till she gets to the potty no matter where she is in the house. I am very proud of her for this.

I do insist on a diaper for naps and bedtime, but when we go somewhere she is really fightin me on wearin one. We usually have to resort to promisin a ride on her favorite elmo car thing at the krogers store.

My problem is we are gonna be goin to see her great grandma which is the wrong direction for the elmo ride next weekend. Also, we are startin to work in the garden this week and she will want to play outside.

How do I shift from the elmo ride to her gettin that she has to wear clothes and a diaper sometimes? I don't want to mess up the potty trainin since she is doin so great and chose to do this on her own.

Any ideas Ladies?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angela- I had the EXACT same issue with Nora when she was potty training. I don't know if my tactic would work for everyone- but with Nora I said diapers are for babies and clothes are for big girls. I bought a few (cheap) pretty tights and pants and they were her "big girl" pants and she got to wear them when she was being a big girl.

I always made it a big deal not to wet the car seat, the bed etc "like a baby" and even made stinky face and "ew yuck" when needed when talking about diapers. We made it comical but she got the message and really had a very fast potty training period and has had very few accidents. We did the diaper in for bed time thing for a while- but when she consitently woke up dry for a few days we just put a couple extra blankets under her sheet and let her try to be a big girl. The extra confidence we gave her made a big difference and again- we only had to change sheets a few times. Maybe 3 or 4.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a good plan to me Alee.

also if you are worried about the bed Ikea sells mattress protectors very inexpensively. Since even big kids can vomit and have accidents in the bed sometimes I like the peace of mind it gives me. We bought the one that is terry cloth on the top, and plastic (of some sort) on the mattress side.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile
We left our little Martha with my mother yesterday to go do some easter shoppin. I told my mother about her potty trainin and that she would probably want to potty there, but I had forgotten her potty chair. I told her she could just tell her to wear her diaper and that mommy would take her for an elmo ride later.

I went and did the shoppin. Then returned to pick up Martha. I was so shocked when I walked in I nearly fell over laughin!

My mother had stripped martha down naked, piled books up to make stairs to the toilet, and was lettin her run around the house!

She was actually usin my mom's big toilet even though she was afraid of ours at home. I couldn't believe my mom, who had always insisted no food or drink in the living room when I was growin up, was lettin a 2y/o run around naked in there!

There's nothin like bein greeted at the door by a tiny, naked, gigglin butt when you least expect it! LOL!

We did manage to convince Martha that clothes are needed for car rides, but she still seems to have a problem holdin it when she wears pants at the house, so diapers are still a must for trips.

I think we are gonna start workin on some pull up type pants a little more though.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Get the heavy padded cotton panties the pull ups will delay the whole system.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  2:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Diana. also really just take extra clothes when you leave, use the heavier training pant panties. And just try to remember about every hour or so to remind her let's go potty. Even if she doesn't want to. The main thing about away from the house when first potty training is they don't like to stop playing or doing what ever it is they are into to stop and potty. But, if you try to remember about once a hour to take them there is very few accidents. And no accident that bad that you really can't just change their clothes, at least that's been my experience.

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a few pairs of the cloth trainin pants thingys. She likes them even if they don't stay up well. It seems there aren't any brands of those left that have elastic in the waistband.

When I asked the manager at the childrens store he politely told me that the pants 'were supposed to be covered by the rubber cover, which have elastic you know.' Like I was a total idiot. I then asked him how exactly he expected a potty training child to pull down the cover and then the pants before said child wets themselves. The man said he wasn't sure, he'd never thought about it since his wife did the potty training.

I just left him standin there with his jaw hangin. I guess I'll just make do with what I have on hand. I just wish actual mom's who have kids made kids products.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  4:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Walmart has them in the toddlers section BUY lots.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:32:55 PM  Show Profile
I potty trained int he summer. Our son wore a tshirt all summer. His older siblings were appauled. but, they were trained the same way. He does like to strip to use the toilet now. This is not a problem at home. If he is cold he tells me. We are making progress. He is three and he is dry all day and 12 out of 14 nights. I do have to cheer each time he uses the toilet and praise him for the good job. Better than pullups or diapers. We do use the pullups more than one night if he is dry.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  10:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, we did buy the plastic things and never used them cause girly q didn't like how they felt on her and I couldn't blame her!

Target has been my best bet to find them, Walmarts, Toys/babies r us and a few other stores sell them but very very hit and miss. Target is a little hit and miss with them too, but I find them more then miss them there. They come in several sizes and I have a smaller then average girl. She was a preemie born at 4 lbs. And is now 4 years old and weighs approx 24 lbs, she is way below the growth chart, she is tall though for her weight. And is super skinny, let's just say I can't let too many people see her with out clothes cause they think we are starving her! But, it's just in her genes, her father looked exactly the same way at her age, and so did I. I even have a picture of me in my training pants and nothing else looking just as skinny as her! And my pants were too big! lol Sagging off myself! lol haha However, with my girly I just bought the smallest size they sold, which I think was a size 2. She still wears a size 2 in things that length isn't involved! She hasn't grown width wise since she potty trained, only length wise! UHG! Any way...some stores are very limited and her first few packages I believe were size 3s and way too big for her, but that was all I could find. Till I just kept on being relentless in my search and found targets had size 2s once in a while! lol

However, truth be known I think pull ups (brands) may be doing something about the supply of training pants, cause they seemed almost impossible for me to find! Every one just automatically now uses pull ups, and I just don't get it! UHG! I've been wondering if pull ups is threatening stores about selling them or what. OR if there really is that few of people who want their kids to wear real pants any more and just want the ease of pull ups or what.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Potty Training Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page