classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Have you seen the new baby doll in the ad's? It is a baby that breast feeds. I know that is a very natural way of life and that it is the best for the babies. But am I just to old, that this is necessary for the little ones. Surely they have many years to learn all of this. Don't get me wrong, I think it is the most beautiful and bonding experience for mother and child. But why not keep it with the bottle for the little ones and that allows little girls and boys both the chance to learn to care for babies. Would love to hear your thougts.

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:37:48 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you Brenda. I think this is just too much.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:49:37 AM  Show Profile
As my daughter loves to say TMI ..too much information!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  12:48:38 PM  Show Profile
um giving dolls bottles is exactly part of the problem in our society accepting breastfeeding. I am not saying you personally are against it, as you yourself have said you are pro breast feeding.

However, by constantly putting in societies mind, even by giving dolls bottles it's giving the message that bottles are the correct way to feed a baby. And nursing mothers are gross, or wrong.

I can tell you, I have been nursing my daughter many times when children are sooooooo used to babies only being given a bottle they have no idea how I am feeding my daughter with out a bottle and are totally confused.

I would like to know, why is it wrong for children to know that babies are breastfed? Is it wrong to tell children that the milk at the store comes from a cow? Or what about pets in the family, do you put them away from the children if they have a litter of pups/kittens cause the children would learn about breastfeeding?

I figure breastfeeding is a part of life. A real part of life, normal part of life. I really don't understand why giving children a bottle is acceptable except to illiminate breastfeeding from our society. So that people and children only think a bottle is normal and no other way is normal or correct. Why not just have dolls also come with a bag of chips to feed the baby?

Really not only that but also when children are exposed to their mothers and other mothers in their lives who nurse rather then give bottles, they already learn this is what is normal. My daughter had never given her dolls a bottle. Even though her dolls came with bottles! She has always nurses her dolls, she doesn't understand what the bottle is for.

That being said, I really don't see a need to sell a "breastfeeding" doll. Why not just sell a doll with out the bottle and that would be that! However, at the same time our society has gotten so used to bottles being the only way to feed a baby that they actually need to explain why they aren't including a bottle with the baby.

But, any way, bottom line with me is, why isn't it ok for children to know how babies are really fed? I grew up knowing this, and I don't think it scared me in the least. My grandmother and great grandmother grew up knowing these things too. Because back in their childhood days there was no such thing as formula, bottle fed babies was a rarity and usually cause of some great tragedy like their mother dieing or being terribly ill or something. Yet they too grew up with out being scared. In fact grew up much better I think then our current generations.

The main problem with giving children bottles as the normal way of feeding a baby. Preconditioning them to think that is the way to feed babies, and given them the idea that breastfeeding is unnatural or inferior. Even large companies have figured out if you hook a young child on their product they will be life time loyal to their brand. The formula companies sure did a real doozy to our society. And just one small way is by giving children bottles to give their dolls. This is just the first step in preconditioning children. After all, play that children do now is laying down the prep work for life ahead. This is how they are learning to be mommies and daddies, and what ever it is they want to grow up to be. The stats have shown on other things that what children see and experience the first five years of their life is what has the greatest influence on them. So while it may seem small to just give them a bottle to feed their dolls with, this is part of laying the ground work for them on what it is to be a mommy and how to do it.

Any way, please don't read anything I said wrong. I am not angry or anything, just my opinion on it is all. ;o)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Mar 25 2011 1:02:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  12:59:08 PM  Show Profile
my kids, boy and girls, "nursed" baby dolls, teddy bears, etc :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
When my daughter was little, she sat right next to me nursing her brother with her shirt up, nursing the doll. She would even cover herself and the doll with a blanket and "peek " under to see how the doll was doing. So cute and innocent,

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile
i totally agree I don't see a need for a breastfeeding doll persay but there is nothing wrong with small children playing they are nursing their dolly.. Lets take it out and have it as the normal instead of bottles being the norm...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  9:04:13 PM  Show Profile
I guess that I just feel that so much is thrown at the children so early in life. If they are brought up in families where they are breast feed it is natural to them. I'm very much in favor of breastfeeding, I tried with my own. I think I'm just concerned about the growth of our children way beyond their readyness. If they question something then I feel its time for answers. Or in due time, we will know when to share it with them. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way in which a family does as they feel fit to do, I just sometimes believe that the retailer's aren't really thinking about the children in several things they offer to certain age groups. That they are thinking $$$$$. I too hope you realize that I'm not angry, just sharing my opinion also. Hugs,Brenda

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  03:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Brenda you are fine, I know you are not angry. I am much more concerned about the every day stuff on TV being more harm than good. I cannot watch a regular TV show with my 18 year old son because the content makes me uncomfortable. I just saw an article where Ab And Fitch sells padded push up bras for the 11 and 12 year olds. Give me a breastfeeding doll any day!! lol, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  05:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I am all for breastfeeding or bottle feeding. I feel that it is up to each individual - that is part of living in the USA - right? When I wrote above about TMI I really meant just that - too much information. These are just children - let them just have the doll and play with it - children will usually role play what they see at home. I agree with Heather - just sell the doll without the bottle-just the doll. But I agree with Brenda and Carol - there is too much thrown at young children. Let them have their childhood. I have seen the padded bras and such for twelve year olds. Heck - I don't even like to watch tv in front of my nephews because of the commercials - again -TMI. Gosh - I hope this doesn't sound like a rant - honestly it's not.

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  06:07:47 AM  Show Profile
When I watch the ads on tv with all the under garments and personal items I just want to scream. I not only think it is difficult to watch these in front of our children/teens, it has to be hard for them also. What was wrong in the way that we were raised. Learning as the time came. I believe the young children know more things now than I did before getting married. I guess all we can do is pray that we are there when the young ones are there with questions and that the Lord will guide our words. Thanks girls for all your thoughts. Hugs,Brenda

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  12:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Brenda~ You are totally correct the best any of us can do is what we think is best and just keep on praying that we find the right words to help our children and grandchildren (hey even each other!)

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I think there is a fine line between too much and not enough info. When I was a kid they told us little or nothing so we didn't have enough information. As a result I was molested by a friends dad because I didn't know enough. So, I guess my opinion on how much is enough at a young age might differ from most. Had I known the score earlier (I was in 5th grade) - it might never have happened. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and innocence is a blessing until that costs something that may take years to heal if it ever does. Not that it has anything to do with a breastfeeding doll - but with with holding information in general. So....don't always wait for the questions but volunteer the info. If you wait too long, the cost could be too high. What is a little embarrasement compared with other possibilities? That includes drug and other info. as well. Sometimes those uncomfortable commercial moments are the perfect opportunity to start up some frank and real conversations. Sometimes it's better to deal with life as it is rather than how we wish it could be. In my opinion, honesty and openness is always the best policy.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  05:50:46 AM  Show Profile
I have to say though I think what is on tv, and a breastfeeding doll are two totally different things. lol Breastfeeding is wholesome natural part of life. Much of tv today is neither! lol I personally feel as Carole does, what children see on tv is much worst then learning about breastfeeding. lol I personally want to throw the tv out the window, but convincing hubby to do the same is a bit harder. But, if it was up to me we would no longer even own a TV! It's so disgusting any more it's ludicrous and goes against most of my families morals and I usually feel filthy after watching just regular prime time.

that being said I also agree with Sheri on a certain level. However, I'm more for open frank discussions with my children on our terms with our moral values being at the forefront, rather then what the tv brings to the table. lol Our religion actually puts out books just for these open discussions, right now we are using a book designed for 2 to 10 year olds. And there is chapters in it discussing molestation believe it or not. Not on a level beyond their age, but rather on a level to protect them. And teach them hopefully how to avoid it, or tell mommy and daddy, about drugs etc they may be offered at school, etc. Then we also have a book to discuss more in detail sex/marriage/drugs etc, with teenagers. I'm glad to have both to help have high moral conversations on a level I want with my children with out being lead into the discussions cause of the filth from tv.

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:14:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you Heather that the information needs to be imparted with your own morals being in the forefront of the conversation. I will however, say that whatever is on TV whether we approve of it or not is pervasive all the way through our society on many levels and cannot be ignored. To ignore it's influences makes for a bit of pretending it doesn't exist which is what my parents generation did.
What we ended up with was the counter culture movements of the 1960's - a whole generation that was tired of being taught by omission. My own mother was mortified when I wanted to have my children by natural childbirth and breastfeed my babies. She thought it was disgusting. But my generation pushed back and now look at where things have gone. Now breastfeeding is the norm and bottle feeding more rare. We had to tell our doctors ahead of time that we wanted to breastfeed or they would automatically give a shot to dry up the milk. If we didn't insist on natural childbirth, then they would shoot us up with drugs, tie our legs up into stirrups that looked like something out of a mideval torture chamber etc. I guess I just have a different way of looking at things. My generation - the women of the 1960's and '70's pushed for womens health care and the idea that pregnancy wasn't a disease but a natural part of being a woman. The issue of a breastfeeding doll wouldn't even be on the table if our generation hadn't pushed back and the way we pushed back was by being informed which wasn't easy then. We couldn't just google something and have information at our fingers - it took time and effort to arm ourselves with the facts. I'm glad that women's health care has gone in the right direction. I'm glad there is a breastfeeding doll to even discuss because it wasn't even a remote possibility when I was a kid.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile
I totally get you Sheri. My mom also had a lot of info talks with me because of the omission thing. For instance when she started her period she thought her guts were falling out and she was dying! Her mother had never talked to her about it. And she had no idea what was happening. She ran to the school nurse crying that she was dying. And was really embarrassed later on when she found out what was really happening. So when I came along she started telling me at least a year in advance so I would be prepared. I remember precisely my mom telling her friends that she was talking to me about sex, and such. (In a educational way, not in a non age appropriate way) One of the husbands went nuts and was like she's too young, (his kids was mys same age) he wasn't going to be talking to his girls about it for a long while! His girls were some of the youngest ones in my circle of friends to "get in trouble" if you know what I mean. Yeah pregnant before we even got to high school! Hmm some one I guess decided to talk to them about sex! Too bad it wasn't mom and dad.

At the same time I do understand what you mean about this world is pretty influenced by tv. I by no means bury my head in the sand. At the same time, I just don't think we need to see every thing that comes down the pipe! lol haha For instance when I was growing up curse words were not allowed on basic non cable tv channels. (you know those founding three channels! lol) Now I hear all kinds of cursing even on their day time shows! The other thing is where we live my kids really could grow up just like the world around them with out TV at all. The majority of our neighbors are amish and mennonite. Neither around here own or watch tv. So all their little neighborhood friends have no idea about what is on tv. In fact, when they come over they are not allowed to watch tv. (I love that time!) cause their parents have said so. There's just so much other things to do besides watch tv. The other thing is, if they did have friends that watched tv and brought up something about such things they seen on tv to me, I would rather have that conversation rather then actually seeing/hearing the tv. Or like I said even better, just have the conversations with out the tv involved and before they would see such.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  2:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh and BTW, I think maybe in the 70's it may of been where you were from about the natural childbirth. My mom said she asked if they were going to give her medication when she had me, and they told her that was only in the movies not in real life! lol She was on a military base.

Then me, I didn't have my first till I was older, and I was in NYC when I told them I wanted natural childbirth the drs laughed at me and said that's what they all say, till it happens! Personally I didn't think it was that bad at all. I don't know what they were talking about. I never did ask for medication, never thought it was needed. But, I will say the first birth they gave me a knock out drug cause I was asking too many questions. I had not been giving a birth plan they would never answer my questions in appointments when asked. And I can not have a epi even if I wanted on. (no where to put one, as I have rods in my back, screws etc) So I did wonder what we would do if I did indeed think it was too much pain, they got annoyed with me and gave me a shot that put me to sleep. I was soooo mad cause they didn't ask me first if I wanted it! I woke up for delivery but barely could keep my eyes open cause I don't even drink beer, let alone used to shots of sleeping drugs! Any way, next two I was very adoment about not giving me ANY thing! I wasn't going through that again!

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  9:24:08 PM  Show Profile
I to also had natural childbirth and I'm so glad I did. My DH was the first daddy to be allowed in the delivery room at the hospital we went to. What a lovely experience.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic New Babydoll Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page