True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Who else is starting to think "Spring"?

We are coming up to our spring break from College and while I don't exactly get a real break since I will be working, I don't want to waste a single day of real spring (I know it's coming despite the snow coming down outside) inside doing yucky chores.

So I am thinking I will start doing a list of things that need to be done.

How about you ladies? Care to post your list and mark them off with me?

Spring Cleaning 2011!!

Living Room:
Organzie bookshelf- possible move to bedroom?
Clean curtains- possibly replace?
Shampoo couches
Shampoo carpets
Wash dog bed
shampoo throw rugs
tape down or somehow hide the power cords going to and from the TV
Adjust Thermostat for warmer days

Kitchen:
Organize cupboards
clean inside shelves of cupboards
wash fronts of cupboards
move everything off countertops in kitchen
get rid of mismatched lids/containers.
Clean out Fridge
Scrub down dining room table and chairs.
Scrub Blinds

Crawl Space:
Sweep and clean crawl space
Try to make as fresh smelling as possible? Note any leaks etc to tell landlords

Bedroom:
Move all furniture.
Shampoo carpets
wax both dressers and re-arrange furniture.
Turn Mattress
Air Mattress outside.
Go through clothes and get rid of ripped/stained/too small clothes
Clean Curtain

Nora's Room
Go through toys and donate those that aren't used
Shampoo carpets
Clean curatain

Bathroom-
Clean everything!

Laundry Room:
Organize cupboards
move everything and mop floors

Everywhere:
Clean windows inside and out
Clean Curtains and possibly make new ones.
Wash Walls
Wipe down molding and mopboards.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  1:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Oh Alee, you make me tired just reading your list. LOL When your done can you come do mine?

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo- Sure thing! ;)

It's going to take me a while to get it all done due to my schedule. I miss the days when I could get all that done in a day or a weekend!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  8:57:29 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I was thinking the EXACT same thing as Betty Jo! :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  10:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you don't live all that far away from me - come on over and give me a hand with my spring cleaning when you're done with yours. Just kidding!!!!!!! When we had our short spell of warm weather I started doing some spring cleaning. Just sorting out closets upstairs and pulling out clothes to give to the thrift store. Of course my craft room and closet are a project in motion. Just can't wait to wash the windows and patio doors and screens. For some reason that does it for me - I may be filthy dirty from washing them, but I get such a good feeling when that's all done and they're shiney and you can see out of the screens. Have lots more outside things to do this spring than inside. The Honey Do list keeps getting longer and longer. After this weekends winter storm I'm so looking forward to having some warmer temps and get ride of the piles of snow we have.
Have a great week everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  3:11:37 PM  Show Profile
I love to THINK about those things too. We had 50ies last week and much of the snow melted, sidewalks were clear. Ah Spring! However today we had 15 inches of snow andf it is still snowing. Spring will have to wait, and the cleaning too. Back to the seed catalogs.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  7:20:07 PM  Show Profile
My list is short:

1. Beg husband to give me money to hire a cleaning lady to get me off to a good start.

2. Drink heavily to get over the crushing blow of being told he can't afford it.

3. Push a wet mop around the kitchen floor for fifteen minutes. Give up. Dissolve into tears.

4. Drink heavily to get over the crushing blow of how really awful I look when dissolving into tears.

5. Call girlfriend to meet me for coffee in town. Talk about hangover remedies and the good old days when all we had to worry about was what to wear on a hot date. Move our little party to the pub. Pig out on fries and Guinness.

6. Go to bed early, hugging pillow and biting a knuckle to keep from laughing so hysterically that my husband thinks I have dissolved into tears again.

7. Lather, rinse, repeat.

;-)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  8:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mara- Strangly your list is starting to look more and more appealing! Can I change my list to yours? ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:10:57 AM  Show Profile
You're on, Alee. I hope everyone knows I was just kidding. I'm actually kind of a tea-totaller ;-)
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Mara
I like your list, minus step 3 of course.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:37:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nubidane

Mara
I like your list, minus step 3 of course.

LOL - you're right. What was I thinking!?!
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I like both lists! Alee, you've inspired me to get back into my cleaning routine. When I was newly married, in college, and working full time, I developed a routine that works as long as I stick to it! It's 30-minute cleaning 6 days a week. I usually did it while I was cooking supper - get things going then dash off to start on my chores. Sunday was my day off. Here's how the schedule goes:

Daily (except Sunday) - 1 load of laundry (it is just me and my DH, so one will do us.) And, always do the dishes. I don't leave dirty dishes...and at the time, I didn't have a dishwasher.
Monday: Floors - that's it - mop, dust-mop, vacuum - whatever they need.
Tuesday: Bathrooms - top to bottom (minus the floor, of course)
Wednesday: Dust & pick-up - magazines, mail, things that have wandered from their homes
Thursday: Floors - yes, again. They aren't as dirty today...
Friday: Bathrooms - yes, again. Still not as dirty...
Saturday: Dust & pick-up - whatever needs replacing.

If I had time on Saturday, I'd pick another BIG project - like cleaning my kitchen top to bottom - like the room break-downs on Alee's list. My schedule may seem like a better maintenance routine. It's easier to keep a clean house clean, than to rebuilt Rome in a day. I got really organized one time and made a yearly calendar - schedule for turning the matresses, washing draperies, etc. - all the heavy-duty things that don't necessarily need to be done weekly or even monthly. Who knows where it is now, but I promise you, my house was always company ready and it made it easy for me to relax when I had a minute because I knew my house was in order.

All this talk of spring cleaning has inspired me to get this started again. I despise spending all day Saturday getting my house clean. It's my only day to stay home and do nothing, so that's what I'm going to try to do. By the way, if any of you are as OCD as I am, I was known to double up on everything Thursdays - and clean for an hour or so. That way, when I got home from work/school on Friday, I was free for the weekend - chores were done and we could go out or just relax.

These are just my thoughts - maybe they will help you too!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  1:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a list alright but I am going to give it to MY CLEANING LADY!! I, for the first time in my life decided I needed some help. I have always said that I was not going to pay someone to dust the coffee table and stack up my magazines. And NOBODY touches my office table. I set aside a certin about of money and when it is gone, she is done. Her first day was yesterday. She cleaned inside, outside, behind under and washed all the stuff in 3 china cabinets. Then she pulled out the desk, computer stand and filing cabinet here in the office and cleaned and vacuumed under and behind. Next week she will do under and behind the stove, microwave, cabinets, and washer and dryer. As soon as it warms up, we'll get outside and start on windows and the porches and the gardens. I hope a couple of months of this and I'll be caught up and can handle stuff until maybe fall.

I have told my 3 kids and their spouces and my 10 grandkids not to buy me presents for mother's day and birthday. Just give me a good couple of hours of hard work. It has happened one time. Oh, well............

Belle

Mara, I did not skip step #2.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
I like your spirit, Belle :-)
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls I am inspired. I will be working on my list today as I do the laundry.
Then set a date to get started with that cleaning so I can enjoy spring when it
gets here ... and go outside
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Mara, I am with you!!!! But when push comes to shove my goal is to clean out my attic storage. It is the length and width of a 3 car garage and my 6'5" DH can stand upright in it. AND it is packed floor to ceiling with treasures I just had to have. UGH!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile
Then what are you waiting for, Betty Jo? Start drinking NOW!
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  06:23:30 AM  Show Profile
Mara, that's my kind of plan!
I did the kids' room this weekend, but I still need to spring clean quite a bit of the rest of the house. I need to get it done soon, because the good weather is about to ensure that our free time is spent outside.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:36:31 AM  Show Profile
I was so lucky! This year my mom came in from California to help me spring clean before I had my baby. It was so nice to watch her go through everything and re-organize things and clean all the stuff I haven't gotten to. I'm halfway tempted to get pregnant again so she'll have to come and help next year! LOL! (It was also really nice to just spend time with her, of course...)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:48:35 AM  Show Profile
What a nice mama, Megan!

I'm so ready to start cleaning here and throw everything out into the snowbanks. I'm in one of those moods where everything has to go. These moods are dangerous...you never know what's going to end up staying...we just have such a small space, I always find that at the end of winter I'm ready to get rid of whatever happens to be in my sightline!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  08:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Why is that we wait until spring to clean everything out and purge of all our stuff. Really we should do it in the fall before we are trapped inside all winter looking at all of our stuff. Guess we never think of it then. I will try to remember for next year, maybe even put it on the calendar now.

This past December my husband FINALLY decided he was ready to live a simpler life and wanted to go through everything in our house. So the week between Christmas and New Years we went through every box and corner of our house and ended up with a whole room full of stuff to donate or sell. It is crazy the stuff we have accumulated (and only five years married.) But my spring cleaning is done. Only thing left to do is the garage and flower beds. So ready to be outside.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Crystal, you and your husband have the right idea. I find that a periodic "flush" of stuff I don't use or need or enjoy looking at makes me feel 100% better. I go with the feng shui idea that clutter prevents the clear flow of energy in your life. It clutters your whole being.

And it's cheaper than re-decorating :-)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Alee:
I am certainly waiting for Spring!!!!!!!! But, as you know, I hate cleaning the house. LOL
I'll wait for the rainy spring days to do that.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and don't forget to add clean all ceiling fan blades. That is number one on my list!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9338 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9338 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:23:17 AM  Show Profile
I have been Spring cleaning since January and I am just about caught up to just daily chores. However, we have yet to do anything outside. At least I will have an excuse to be out there on the warmer days!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  11:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
HI ladies!

The big purge starts tomorrow! I have the whole weekend off with minimal homework to do! Nora's room is getting an overhaul and everything is getting pulled out of each room at a time, cleaned, rugs shampooed and items replaced! I'll keep you updated on our progress!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Spring Cleaning! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page