BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile
I know this isn't a book idea, but I didn't know where else to post it. You know how you can get text alerts from certain people on your cell phone from facebook, if you add them via SMS?? I thought it would be awesome if when we subscribe to a topic on this farmgirl forum, it would send each post to us via text and to reply back, we just reply via text :) Just thinkin :)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  6:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi, BarnChickCecily:

It's always a possibility. A problem for us doing that is SMS messages have to be emailed to the cell phone service provider's email server, and that's going to be different for each person's phone number, i.e. the email server for a Verizon number is different than the email server for a number with AT&T.

So, in order to make it work, we'd have to know more than just your phone number. We'd have to either have everyone interested in receiving updates via SMS provide their phone number as an email address (for example, 8885551000@txt.att.net <-- everything after the number is AT&T's email server); or we'd have to have access to a database and service that can look up the email server for each phone number. Most likely, I'm certain it would have to be the latter, because most people probably don't even know the former exists, or where to find it if they went looking.

Our local ISP has a database, but it's not all-inclusive. It contains addresses for national providers, and providers in our region, but it doesn't have smaller regional providers for other regions that they rarely deal with.

As you can see, we're looking into it. We'll still have to see how feasible it is for us.
Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic Website Idea?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page