textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile
My family has generously given me a 10 day trip to Italy this summer (beginning June 24) and for one week I will be staying at an ORGANIC farm/cooking school in Tuscany. I would like to write an article for the magazine or a post for the site. The place we are staying is called Organic Tuscany and the website is www.organictuscany.org. I understand the photos on the website are of the "new" location. We are staying at the current location. Any interest? Dianne in the Hudson Valley, NY Farmgirl #749

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow Diane, that would be SO interesting to read :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Dianne! Tuscany is one of my dream visit places! I hope you will be able to "take" us with you in an article with lots of pictures! I'm so excited for you! What a wonderful gift! Enjoy! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile
I would love to read that article. I have always wanted to visit Tuscany. You will have to take lots of photos and notes!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  03:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses. I will be posting while I am there (they have wi-fi)so you girls can come right along with me! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  04:06:25 AM  Show Profile
We've booked our plane tickets (much more expensive than I thought, but less expensive than flying Alitalia). And, we are researching hotels in Florence (just for one night) and Rome (3 nights). We are looking into a Bed and Blessings--staying in a convent as opposed to a B & B or hotel. The one we're looking at got wonderful reviews and I've stayed at convents in the US on various retreats. Also researching a rental car for our stay at Organic Tuscany. I'd like the Renault, thank you! Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I traveled there a few years ago and I am eager to return. You will have a wonderful experiance in cooking school and no better way to learn about the country than thru food and farming. I must honestly tell you having a car is a crazy maker in Italy. Make sure you have an international license as I believe you now must have one in order to drive. But really our car slowed us down during our trip. You can get everywhere you need to go by train and It is such a fab way to actually view where you are going. I must also tell you I did not care for Florence. We were in and out in a day. We are not shoppers (well not like that) and I had no desire to stand in line with 10000 others to try to get into a gallery. We did stroll the streets and made our own tour of churches that was charming. My husband and I are painters- so we did Tuscany, and the Italian rivera with our paints and cameras. Please let me know where you will publish...there is a book- writers market-Discovery Channel also pays for travel video. I think they have an online school but you might still have enough time. Good luck!

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  03:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your comments and interest. Cheryle, thanks for all your tips! Keep em coming. I am not a shopper either so I am not going to Italy to shop. I do want to see some of the art, so I guess I will have to wait in lines. And we were advised to rent a car, as the "field trips" from Organic Tuscany require transportation (they don't ferry you around) and we want some independence. Plus, my sister has driven in Europe before, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Unless you purchase your tickets early to see the art you can't get just show up and hope to get in atleast that was not our experience. We were told that tickets had to be purchased atleast one week ahead of time but during season much more. I can see having to have a car from the country. They have these crazy lottery tickets for parking at most places. So you have to purchase them prior to being able to park somewhere or have a mate stand guard until you can find someplace close by that sells them. You wouldn't think it a problem but it was. Most of the stores only get thier supply once a week and would sell out so any place that was popular had sold out of the parking tickets. Then you have the issue of the mid-day break when they clean the streets and you must move the car. I would tell you that if you can find somewhere like a hotel and try to have a small meal or drink and ask if you can park in thier lot. Most times if you spend some money they will let you and you don't have to move the car every few hours. You should ask the school to book your art tickets they can probably do this online for the dates you will be there and you can pay them when you arrive-bonus they know the languge and can probably get some decent prices if the seller think they are selling to Italians. You are a lucky girl-I can't wait to go back. Next time we will go for a month two weeks was not enough. Did I mention I felt safer on a motorcycle?

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  05:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Cheryle, Wow! Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely follow your advice. It's so great to talk to people who have been to the country before. Because we lived in the surrounding boroughs of NYC and drove in Manhattan all the time, I don't have fears about driving in Italy, but I also don't have any desire to drive in the cities! Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic My Trip to Italy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page