cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile
My guy and I have decided to take a little road trip before the weather warms up and we get too busy to do anything and I was hoping for some suggestions. We'll be leaving from Southeast Kansas and heading East towards Springfield. We'll leave Friday morning (25th) and come back Sunday (27th), so an 8hr drive somewhere just isn't in the cards.

Do you have any must see, must do, or must eat's in the Springfield area? We're low key people but still want to see a museum or something on our trip. We're all about taking the "scenic route" to find neat little places as well. The quainter, the better.

Any help would be appreciated!
Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~

Edited by - cntrygrl on Feb 14 2011 6:15:11 PM

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi--which Springfield? They say that every state has a Springfield. Having grown up in Alaska I know that's not entirely true! My first thought when I read your post was Springfield, OR!!!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  3:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. Can you tell I was in my own little world when I wrote that? I meant Springfiled MO. So sorry! lol.

Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Tommie, Springfield is a great destination. Do you hunt and fish? Bass Pro. Great place and they have a museum. Also there is a Civil War battelground. Go about 60 miles east from there to Mansfield MO. That is where Laura Ingals Wilder lived when she wrote the Little House on the Prairie books. Her house is a museum. Just 5 miles north of there is Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. They have a little village with shops and stuff. I don't think they are open on Sat. Emilie (co-ouner with Hubby Jere) is a fellow MJF sister.

OH, I wanna go! I'll be going to the Baker Creek Festival the first weekend in May.

Tommie, I knew where you ment when you said Springfield. LOL

Belle
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  6:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Belle, you are my lifesaver! I knew Springfield (MO...hehe) had to have some neat things around there. I'm digging your ideas. Now if I can get my guy to dig them. :) We're leaving Friday morning and looks like we can get to Mansfield (MO...hehe) in around 4hrs and could easily make the Baker Creek Heirloom village Friday, and maybe even eat lunch there (I googled it!). Yum! I'll have to google for Laura Ingals Wilder museum info. Any must eat or must stay places your aware of?

Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  7:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I love Mo ! Springfield MO has lots to offer! there are civil war battle sites, a couple of great quilt shops. my Hubbies favorite Bass Pro and if you like BBQ there is an AWESOME place called Buckinghams just across from Bass Pro. If you like frozen custard ( like ice cream) look for a place called Andy's..OMG the "concrete" is to die for !! If you want to take a little jaunt up toward Columbia there is a comunity of Amish . There is also a small town that was founded by German settlers (trying to remember the name) that is filled with great antique shops. If you drive through KC , There are several great places to eat.and there is a museum called Steamboat Arabia. it was a steamship that sank in the MO river in the 1830's or so and was salvaged in the 1980's or so.. there is a highway that goes from KC through Warrensberg, Knob Noster then turns south at Sedalia, along that route to Springfield there is a little town called Cole Camp that is cute too..wow so much to see in MO ! Also along the I70 route there are several great towns. Lexington is one..there was a civil war battle there. there is still a cannonball lodged in the side of the courthouse and has a ton of antique shops. Mexico MO has an awesome quilt shop. Enjoy, wish I was going with ya !
Susan
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Ohhh just remembered the name of the German town.. Hermann..was a cute town with lots of antique shops near Jeff city and Columbia
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  3:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I haven't got back to you. Been out all day. Don't know of places to eat or stay. We are always in the motorhome. Have fun!!!

Belle
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  7:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! I am psyched for this trip. I'm not sure 3 days will be enough. :) Now I have a week to get my guy psyched about it. We love Bass Pro, so we'll have to check that one out. I'll put the BBQ place on our list of possibilities. I LOVE custards! That place will go on the list too.

Susan, do you know anything about the Amish community? Are there things to do in the community? (It might sound crazy, but I've always wanted to stay w/ an Amish family for a few days and live their life.) We have been to the Steamboat Arabia on one of our KC trips and really enjoyed it. I don't think we'll be venturing into KC, I'm liking the idea of town hoping.

Keep 'em coming ladies, I'll add them to my list.

Yay!
Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  6:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tommie,
I only know what my friend has told me. She moved from Colo to Columbia MO just a year ago. She told me that there is ,for lack of a better word an Amish "district" if they have goods to sell that day they will put a sign on their front gate..some had fresh baked goods, soap, quilts, crafts, eggs and butter etc.
I'm with you , I would love to spend a day or two with the Amish. A few years ago while in Penn, we helped a young Amish boy who's horse had been spooked by a semi. The horse broke free when the wagon came loose and the boy had been injured. We got the horse and gave first aid. The young man wanted to pay us but we wouldnt take money , so he took us and introduced us to family members. I got to tour the house and see all the quilts ( bought one too) and my hubby got to play in the wood shop with the men while they worked on building chairs. It was wonderful !
One tip, don't go to see the Amish on a Sunday. They never sell then.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:40:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to keep Columbia and the other suggestions north of Springfield on my list, but after looking at a map I'm not sure we'll make it up that way. I really don't want to go to KC, would rather stay in the Springfield area.

The Little House on the Prairie Museum is only open from March-November, and we're going the last weekend in February. Boo. That would have been really neat.

Susan, what a wonderful payment for helping the Amish boy! That's better than money! :)
Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Tommie..
If you go to Laura Ingalls Wilder in Mansfield, mention you are a farmgirl with MJF. Last year we paid them a visit on the FArmgirls on the Loose road trip. For our giving projct we planted flowers in pots in the sitting area and put stickers on books for the bookstore.

Enjoy the trip.

Wende

You know your a Farm Girl when...

Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  2:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Was wanting to go Wende, but they don't open up until March...we're going the last weekend in February. Go figure. lol

Also entertaining thoughts of things to do in Branson, MO. It isn't very far from Springfield and would give us more options. I'd have a hard time paying the ticket price, but I will admit that Dixie Stampede is going on the list of maybes.

We're trying to keep it as much of a "fly by the seat of our pants" trip as possible, but that's hard for me. I'm a planner, it's in my blood. We're compromising by having options available and then taking off and seeing where we end up. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! :)

Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  03:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Isn't there a Lamberts right off the main hwy in Springfield Mo. Great place to eat. They serve family style and Use to throw you a roll whenever you wanted one. Entertaining!! Hope you can try it out! I know you'd love it. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  06:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, your so right! I've been to Lambert's and I did love it! Thanks for the reminder. My guy has never eaten there so it would make a great stop. I'd kill for some of their fried okra plopped down on a paper towel right now (let's forget about it being 9am!).

Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Road Trip Suggestions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page