Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 heading on an antiquing adventure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic heading on an antiquing adventure Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  04:49:52 AM  Show Profile
honey hunk got up at 5 this morning and headed to southern virginia for his week-long ... 500 mile ... bike trip with Bike Virginia .. this is his 15th year! I decided to stay home until i have had that chest x-ray to make sure my pneumonia is gone (still have some hurties in my left lung area .. and if i TWIST .. i SHOUT!) but i feel soooooooo much better though! so much better .. that i thought i might head out on a quick whirlwind two-day antiquing jaunt .. decided to head east .. but stay in kentucky! i love the artist town of BEREA .. and will probably end up there! am mostly looking for great garden things and of course MORE plants!

ya'll have a fun next coupla' days and i'll yell at you when i get back home sweet home. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  06:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Safe journey and happy antiquing! Can't wait to hear of your adventure and of course your newest aquisitions! i am planning on going to market both Saturday and Sunday and swimming in our new pool! Got up early today to take a quick dip. It hasn't warmed up yet so it was a little arctic but I loved it.

TGIF!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Happy Hunting Frannie~~ Sounds like fun!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:29:35 PM  Show Profile
well chillun .. i put a ba-zillion miles on that car in 12-straight hours (went through $40. worth of gasoline!) filled up when i left and i swear .. as i pulled up in front of the cabins the 'outta' gas buzzer went off! decided to head home cuz' .. i did get to my favorite shoppe in berea before they closed. AND .. i thought today was THURSDAY .. and i have a party to go to tomorrow .. sooooo .. thunk i better head back home sweet home.

actually, didn't buy tons of stuff (i was in a 'metal mood' .. got an antique metal egg basket .. cute little metal bucket .. a metal sap bucket .. a metal cheese grater (the kind you clamp on a table) .. a cute olde metal flower pot hanger .. and a GARDEN HAT for my 'scarecrow woman'. gonna' spiffy her up for Fourth of July tomorrow!
only bought one book (which is real unusual for me .. i usually come back with an armload) .. this one is all about perrenial flowers .. i'm going to go snuggle up in bed with it now and doze off to sleep.

have a grande weekend gurlfrenz! xo

oh .. and i rode a teensy little two-car ferry across a river that had NO BRIDGE .. i think it is the oldest operating ferry in the state of kentucky and the ONLY way you can get across the river at that point! i had to drive on first and there was only a 'rope' (and my foot slammed half-way through the floorboard on the brake) to keep me from rolling offa' the ferry and down the river!

i took lots of beautiful back roads. the fields and trees are so many shades of green .. the hills 'undulate' .. i saw magnificent olde barns around every turn.

a really, really fun day! but as always .. it's good to be back home!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:41:02 PM  Show Profile

Frannie -
I'm jealous, I'm jealous, I'm jealous!!!
No, I really am glad you had such a wonderful day and that you did not skid off of the ferry!! I would have been petrified. You will have to post a picture of your Fourth of July Gal for us!!
Get some rest.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  07:19:52 AM  Show Profile
THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO SHARE WITH ALL YA'LL FARMGIRLS THE 'REAL' VERSION OF MY ADVENTURE TO BEREA .. THIS IS WHAT I SENT (ALONG WITH PICTURES) TO ALL MY "KENTUCKY RAMBLERS" .. IF YOU WANNA' BE ON THAT LIST TO GET STORIES AND PICTURES VIA E-MAIL .. JUST E-MAIL ME WITH YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME AND E-MAIL ADDRESS. XO, FRANNIE

honey hunk hopped up outta' bed at 5 a.m. and headed for his week-long BIKE VIRGINIA ride.

as he packed a road--trip snack .. he called out: "what are you gonna' do today."

i sleepily told him ....

(and oh honies .. i was WIDE AWAKE -- and had been since 4 a.m. conjuring up a plan!!!)

"i think maybe i'll just hang out at the farm with the dawgs."

i laid there for about one-eighteenth of a second ... and started conjuring up whether i was going to head east, west, north or south on an adventure!!!

while he was brushing his teeth .. i was packin' my suitcase .. when he was having his morning coffee .. i was gettin' dressed ... when he went to tell the dogs goodbye, i was sneakin' that suitcase out to the van! while he was checking his bike gear in the truck .. i dumped a huge bag of dog food into a bucket and put it on the back porch and patted the dogs a silent 'see ya'll tomorrow night'!!!

i followed honey hunk out to the curbside ... coffee in hand .. for one more kiss. he asked me again what i was going to do today ...

(men are SO forgetful when they have their minds on their own goals ... and/or sex!!) ..

... i smiled and replied: (hang out with the dogs and do some gardening and make some dollies)

... a kiss .. a wave .. and "i'll call you when i get to Virginia".

(a sweet-smiling ... '"i'll be here when you call")

as his tail ... (lights) disappeared up over the hill-top .. i put my cuppa' coffee on the ground .. took the keys i'd been hiding in my left hand .. hopped in the van .. and was in his trail dust ... headed for BEREA to spend some money!

stopped in town for some breakfast and by the bank for some money .. headed east towards campbellsville .. through lebanon .. over to perryville .. up to danville and on to nicholasville where there was an antiques mall i had never visited .. well CRAP .. it was all prissy pretties! not nary a chunk of barbed wire or rusty tin can to be found! (i was on a primitive, rustic antique GARDENING sojourn today!)

i did manage to find my friend, Carolyn's ADORABLE folk-art shoppe and we had a nice visit which made the trip up there worth it!

this is the oldest .. operating ferry in the state of Kentucky!

took a back-road through winding kentucky hills towards the literal END OF THE ROAD at the RIVER's EDGE. where i took a tiny little 2-car ferry across. i was the first of the two cars boarded .. and i am still here to tell you there was ONE THIN ROPE that kept me and my van from rolling offa' the ferry and being swept down-river! (the floorboard of that van will forever have the imprint of the brake pedal where i was pushin' for dear life!)

isn't too far across the river .. UNLESS you
are sitting in a car crossing it!

that red rope is all that was keeping me from taking a swim!!
that is my dashboard in the foreground!

talk about 'the other side of the railroad tracks' ... there too, is 'the other side of the river' ....

one side of the ferry was oppulent country-club McMansions .. and when you 'put off on t'other side .. it was DELIVERANCE re-lived! AND .. actually .. i much preferred the country charm look of the olde beat up farms!

i roamed about another 10 miles through more winding country roads .. ended up in Richmond, KY .. and headed south on route 25 and arrived in BEREA and my mos' favorite antiques shoppe ... in time for me to grab an armfulla' stuff before they closed. I was in a 'metal mood' .. cuz' .. i got a wire egg basket .. a wire plant hanger .. a metal sap bucket .. and a small tin bucket. (also got a HAT for my summer-time scarecrow woman .. gonna' dress her up for the Fourth of July) .. and a colorful book about Perennial flowers.

here are my treasures
(except for the hat and the book)

egg basket

olde wire plant holder

sap bucket and teensy pail (along with my mop bucket)
(gonna' put plants in them!)

was going to spend the night .. but decided i'd done enuff roaming .. and i have some fun weekend plans .. soooo .. i headed back home jus' in time to be there for hank's call!

first thing he asked was: "what'd ya' do today?"

i replied: "went to Berea".

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  2:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, What happened to the pictures?

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile
mary .. it takes so long to upload them here on the forum .. that i sent them to my kentucky ramblers list. if ya' wanna' be on that (it's my stories AND pictures .. jus' e-mail me with your first and last name and e-mail address). if you have a SLOW computer .. it takes awhile to upload them sometimes though. that's why at the top of my posting, i suggested signing up for my KR list to see photos. hugs ... xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic heading on an antiquing adventure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page