Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Our First Cook-Out of the Season
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Our First Cook-Out of the Season Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  06:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Honey Hunk and I lounged around in the hammock most of the morning .. (after some gardening) .. (mulched all my gardens today! )

The hammock was so pleasant and serene .. just being there together, eyes closed, listening to all the forest sounds. We both fell asleep ... with a nice breeze blowing over us.

i decided to 'fire up' the fire pit and cook some sausages and fresh veggies in my cast iron pans .. while hank took a bike ride. (he's trying to get a few hours in every day in anticipation of his 500-mile bike trip come next Friday. He'll be in the southern part of Virginia for about a week. About 1,000 bicyclists meet and travel from town to town on back country roads. I think this is Hank's 15th year or so!

YUMMMMM .. everything came out reeeeeel good .. but just as it was finished .. the sky turned dark .. and i knew the clouds were going to open up and pour forth! Hoped Hank wasn't somewhere .. where there was no shelter .. he is still not home yet! Luckily .. there has been no thunder and lightening! So .. my guess is that he is just enjoying riding in the rain! Hustled inside with the 'hot pots' ... and baked some 'home-made-from-scratch-biscuits' (in the oven!)

I also painted a couple 'yard tables' .. so that we can enjoy an early morning breakfast, lazy lunch and twilight suppers here and there around 'the farm'. Living here is like always being on vacation .. in the woods! We just LOVE Kentucky living!

i love using olde grey enamel pie tins for plates!

A quiet and happy Father's Day!

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Nice pictures Frannie, Is that table in the picture one you just painted, If so, it dried fast.You must have one of those BIG hammocks, If Richard and I both get in our we are hanging on for dear life, and then one of us usually falls out, gonna have to go for the bigger size.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie; loved seeing your pictures. Hope he got home in time to enjoy your wonderful meal.

I am interested in your fire pit - I want to construct one at the farm, beside the pond. I am hoping we wlil have lots of BBQ's with friends, as well as some nice, quiet two-somes with my dh.

Do you have any closeups of how your fire pit looks (without the food won't be the same, of course!)Thanks!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  07:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
Frannie,
Sounds like a truly blissful day. Love the place settings.

Fawn

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  1:21:43 PM  Show Profile
hi nancy .. no .. that one used to be my 'outside' table before hank moved here .. then i brough it inside to use on a little back porch. THEN i got ANOTHER inside one (one of the ones i painted!) (red top .. green legs .. like the one in the photo .. only skinnier) .. i have six of those olde fold-up metal chairs and three different little tables that i use them with .. ha! i was counting up tables and chairs .. and realized i can comfortable seat 16 guests (here and there throughout the house/porches/yard) for dinner when need be! i did re-paint the little side table (red/green) that i use by the firepit to hold 'cookin' stuff) .. it dried in no time a'tall!

We do have a nice big double hammock .. getting ready to order a most wonderful double swinging CHAIR for the back porch too! Friends have one and it is soooooo comfy!

Jo ... we have two firepits .. they are just 'holes' dug into the earth and lined with rocks .. and rocks ringing them (to try to keep fire from catching the grass on fire and spreading to the woods! One is for a large 'grate' so i can put cast iron pots and pans on it to cook .. the other one is smaller in diameter and is for a 'hanging cast iron pot' .. for soups and stews. Built the same way ... Nothing elaborate .. but they work jus' great! I am looking for three black cast iron rods to make a tripod with .. i thought a blacksmith was going to make them for me .. (met him at our yearly lpioneer rendezvous) .. but i never heard back from him .. when we go to New Harmony, Indiana .. i'm going to ask around there .. because they have wonderful iron 'swinging handles' for pots.

Just dig a hole the size you want .. line it with rocks (not even sure this is necessary .. but we did it anyway). skirt it with rocks .. cover it with a grate if you wish to put pots ON it .. and voila! a fire pit!

thanks fawn .. LOVE that olde graniteware!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Frannie...looks like you had such a great day. I love lounging and cooking out myself. I love your "star" placemats and fork rests!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile
alison .. thanks .. a friend made them for me (she sells them in her cute little shoppe called Beehind Thyme in Kentucky). Funny .. but when she visited and saw me using them as placemats and forks rests .. she was so surprized at how i was using them .. she had just made them a primitive 'decorations'. needless to say, she is now making and marketing them as such!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  6:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Frannie -

I just love it. It looks so peaceful and relaxing. Just cooking outside and enjoying nature. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful, serene setting. It is just like out of a catalog or book on backwoods living, etc. I am very envious of you and Honey Hunk Hank, which by the way when do we get to see a picture of your better half?

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

wvtracy
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Tracy
Stephens City VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  8:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie,
Please tell me about your utensils! They are marvelous!!! Your yard is fabulous too!
Tracy

www.handstoworkdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  04:24:13 AM  Show Profile
ohhhhhh .. anne .. i'll snap some pics of 'my hunk' today or tomorrow ... a buncha' gurlfrenz are heading this way this morning for a 'play day' .. two friends from england and one from kentucky. i was supposed to join them for a fun 'gathering' of gurlfrenz in missouri .. but the nine hour drive each way ... talked me outta' it t'il i know this pneumonia is GONE (i 'think' it is .. but it wasn't when they left for MO). the enland girls have to go back home tomorrow .. soooo .. i'm gonna' whirlwind them so they sleep on that plane!

come to kentucky anytime gurlfren! .. would love to have you hang out and relax then git to hittin' the road with me!

+++++++++++++++++++

tracy .. don't you just love that tableware .. i saw it at Bed, Bath and Beyond .. and our daughter surprized us with service for EIGHT .. AND .. she also got the matching 'cooking' utensils for us! BB&B. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Frannie -

Thought of you last night as I cleaned out our webber BBQ and had our first "cookout" dinner. Of course we don't have the fire pits with the cool cast iron pans, but we do use charcoal and I had picked up a BBQ frying pan. I have been wanting one for a while and this was absolutely great. It has hole to let the flavor of the smoke from the charcoal come through but your veggies and stuff don't fall through the cracks of the grill into the flame. We grilled a vegetable medley of onion, zucchini, yellow squash, orange bell pepper and mushrooms. I just rubbed some butter in the pan, sprinkled the veggies with garlic powder and then started grilling. I add large prawns toward the end that had been marinating in an orange/ginger marinade. As you would say - everything came out reeeel goood. .

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:23:06 PM  Show Profile
ANNE .. funny you should write of your grill . .i was riding the roads today thinking that we reeeeeeeeely ought to get one .. sometimes they are just more RELIABLE than the 'pits' .. especially, if you are cooking for a big crowd!!!

oh yummmmmmm ... all my favorite veggies! xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile
Franny, I think you should start a B&B everything is just darling!!! Have you checked out Lehmans.com? It is an amish website. If you type in at the top under search "tripod with chain" it might be what you are looking for. You have inspired me to try more than dogs on a stick.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile
p.s. they also have a metal product called open fire cooking

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile
oh miz laura .. i have certainly heard of them but didn't think to look for my firepit utenstils there .. thanks soooooooo much!

B&B .. was gonna' do this many moons ago when we lived in a wonderful 24 room house on the river just off the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis, Maryland .. then my girlfriends reminded me that the FIRST "B" .. stands for BED ... and that means people will be expecting CLEAN sheets .. EVERY TIME! .. and the second "B" stands for BREAKFAST .. and that does NOT mean rubbery eggs and burnt toast!

soooooooooooo .. i started presenting 'tea parties' at my home instead .. and it turned into a VERY successful and FUN business.

honey hunk and i are RETIRED now in Kentucky .. and a B&B .. also means that 'four-letter word': W O R K

soooooooo .. i still just invite friends to come and enjoy Cabin Creek Farm and Kentucky for FREE .. and since they are friends .. they just shake the cookie crumbs outta' the sheets and THEY cook breakfast! The BEST of both worlds!

come visit! i do promise fun and a grande time! xoxo

now .. off to check Lehmans!!!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I like your style. I do that 4 letter word "work" way too often. I like the romance of a B &B, but you pointed out that problem about getting up and fixing breakfast every morning... eek. Tell me more about your tea parties. I currently work 80-100 hour work weeks.I have had two very successful and different careers, now is the time to reinvent myself into something new. Spend more time in the garden with my dog and new husband.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Our First Cook-Out of the Season Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page