Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Cloth diapering question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth diapering question... Next Topic
Page: of 2

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile
I recently started using cloth diapers on my 3 month old foster son. I found some cloth diapers from Mother Ease (I really like them). They are terry cloth material. The only problem is that they rub my son on his sack and it's got a little raw spot. Not bad, but none the less chaffed. I change him every 3-4 hours and wear a disposable at night. Should I change him more often or is there something I can put in the diaper that isn't so rough? I have to use the extra liner anyway. It has a terry side and a flannel side I thought about putting the flannel side next to his skin. I also thought about getting some of that fake wooly material since it seems to wick moisture...I save about 25 cents each time I don't have to use a disposable, so I'd like to keep up the trend. Any thoughts?

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile
That actually sounds like more of a "fit" issue, to me. We use cloth dipes (bum genius and fuzzi bunz) and though I have a girl, I've never had any problem with rubbing on her. The material on the inside is different, though, from what you're stating.

I know that Mother Ease has a forum--have you proposed your question there? Might not hurt, just to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  1:27:29 PM  Show Profile
I also use bumgenius on both my boy and girl, and they both needed to be changed every two hours when they were that young or they got serious red bums. Not chaffed, just red and irritated. I've since discovered that they would both be considered heavy wetters. One thing that has worked well for me has been to swap out the insert for some bamboo cloth. My friend buys the cloth on the internet, serges the edges and then folds them up so they make an insert. I'd say the cloth is about 20" square. This is super absorbent, way more than the microfiber ones. I wish I could tell you where to go for the bamboo, but I have no idea.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  1:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Renee, I would put the flannel side of the soaker towards his more sensitive parts. I was never a fan of the terry material when I was diapering Nora. We used either cotton Knit, or flannel. There are also some inserts that I got from a box of diapers. They were very thin and I can't remember what company made them, but you could go get a yard of fleece fabric at Wal-Mart and cut them into 3.5 x 6 in strips and have basically the same thing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:04:50 AM  Show Profile
here is what I think. My baby only got red chaffed looking when they were left too long//4 hours is too long really sometimes...Also, believe it or not, at 3 months some babies teeth even if you can't see anything and their urine gets really strong and acidic...It could be that too...ALl mine went through it at 3 months -ish!..But mostly? Change him way more, you will see that he won't be as red, ALSO what kind of formula is he getting, might want to try something different!..He's a foster angel so are you giving him a bottle or nursing?:) remember, acidic pee...OH YEAH!!! I forgot! It COULD be the way you are laundering them ...you must wash them 2-3 extra times to get all detergent out>I WENT THROUGH THIS.you must NOT ever use any detergent not particularly used for cloth diapering...I use Allens or CHarlies detergent GREAT STUFF! ALSO, Everyone tells you not to, BUT I MUst use a little bleach to really get them clean , others would disagree, but EVERY cloth mommy tells me this and then NO ISSUES but you must , like I said, wash them 2 more times at least I put in the little bit of bleach at the beginning and the following cycles take it out COMPLETELY....Talk to a few cloth diapering mommies, tell them your trouble they will get you through it too..ALl these things are really important...
The kicker..How long have you had him in cloth?
If he has been with you a while and this is occurring always, its a laundering issue...if its only once and a while it's teething or what he ate....CLOTH does not cause the red irritation...their urine does or What is LEFT IN THE DIAPER after laundering...TA DAAAA!!!!!!!
Oh I use FUZZI BUNZ< I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yasmine- what I did to get rid of detergent/laundry soap residue is use vinegar in the rinse cycle. It was amazing and really works! I only would rinse to get the poop and urine out and then wash as normal.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! I have a sis named Ali! I used to use vinegar, but I am so bad, I like bleach......I guess it feels like it's really clean to me..I started because y, ypou know how you have to boil them to strip them once and a while, well I use bleach instead!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yasmine- I never boiled mine. I would wash occasionally in bleach but not every time. But everytime I did vinegar because it denatures the protiens in urine and helps get the soap residue out. Sometimes I would put vinegar in the wash water. Nora rarely got diaper rash and it was always my fault when she did- not having a fresh diaper when grocery shopping etc. We also have an "old school" washer not a High Efficiency. I probably would rinse the diapers first if it was high efficiency washer. There is only so much that can be diluted in such a small amount of water! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  05:04:15 AM  Show Profile
I completely agree! I really wish I had an old washer instead of this one, but I am thankful to have it...I use a rinse and spin cycle 2x now on cold, then I wash in hot 2x sometimes three on the quick wash..It seems to work great!, Maybe I'll go back to the vinegar for a bit for a while, see how it goes, YES EDUCATION is SOOO important for new cloth diapering mommies...I would have given it up again had I not really read up on water conditions and detergents and vinegar and bleach...YES THE baby ONLY gets diaper rash if they are not clean(!), the diapers, and also if they are teething, like every few months...
this house has the softest water on the entire planet! My hair is great in this house....makes for really clean diapers....
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  06:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yasmine- oh you are so lucky! Soft water! I dream about it! :) It sounds like you have a great system! I went washing machine shopping with my mom and I realized I m so lucky to have a 1980's refurbished Maytag. I can put anything in it- even my horse's blanket and it handles it.

How old is your baby now? I am having some shock since my baby is getting ready for her 4th birthday in about a month!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile
lucky you! The baby is now 18 months.....she is our 6th and I think final..but,,,God knows I would LOVE more babies...tehe!
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile
You having more Alee?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Yasmine- most likely not. Doug and I both have to work at the present and I can't afford to have two in daycare. Nora's preschool is $600 a month!! EEK! But they take great care of her and have a more home like environment with family meals and it is Christian based which is important to me.

I would have loved to have several, but Nora is a gem and somedays is about all I can handle so maybe this is the way it is meant to be. I sometimes joke that my horse is my second child. She and Nora are only 1 month apart in age and this picture says it all. The picture is almost two years old so a bit dated, but they are still best friends. It's so cute to see Nora and Tala together!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Edited by - Alee on Feb 07 2011 11:17:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!! How cool! Your daughter is a cutie! So just one? Awww...thats ok!
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  05:14:19 AM  Show Profile
ALEE! i just looked at your blog, my Petra is VERY similar to you little Nora......outburst wise...she is 3...my baby is sick, holding her right now and can't type jajajhaha, otherwise i would talk more......
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  05:16:00 AM  Show Profile
jasminesgarden.blogspot.com heres my blog! i just started it..going back to yours alee...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Yasmine! Did you go to the allergyjourneys blog or just my regular blog? Does she get red cheeks (like a high flush) and white lines from the corner of her nose down to her mouth in the natural "crease"?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  06:16:25 AM  Show Profile
I went to both of them! The cheek thing.....I never really tuned into that symptom! Atitude, tiredness, grumpiness, diarrhea hmm, rashes on the skin...I will look for that next time! Flushed cheeks...I always thought it was a healthy thing to have the flushing...Petra has UNCONTROLLABLE temper tantrums at times ...I am a firm believer in spanking at the proper times..Hwever this child, when in that moment DOES NOT RESPOND TO spanking...There is no normal to it...AND then? She stops, just like that. After like 15 minutes...or a half hour...SHE used to be worse....
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  05:13:15 AM  Show Profile
hey alee! R u on FB?
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to get into cloth diapering for my son too, normal diapers up a size and down a size and various brands seem to irritate him, especially when he is teething. Even if I change him as soon as he wets he gets diaper rash. The poor guy gets diaper rash naked when he is teething. I saw 2 brands mentioned quite a bit, what are the most common and beginner cloth diaper friendly? How do the cloth diapers hold up when grocery shopping, running errands?

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:50:28 PM  Show Profile
it's probably more his diet than anything.....in my opinion......
I LOVE my diapers when we have to go out. Fuzzi bunz...She is ALWAYS comfortable and they are SOFT and they wick moisture like nobody's business! They ARE TRULY the greatest...Wash great and super easy! Especially for a newbie....they are great because , once you put in the inserts , there is NO fumbling around...Just put it on like a regular diaper...My babies were squirmy so I did not really like the ones that you had to put in place and then put a cover over them... I never had an easy time with prefolds.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  5:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Krystle- I second what Yasmine said about the Fuzzi Bunz. They are great. We did the flat fold diapers for Nora before she started crawling and after that we used the fitted diapers (the ones that look like a disposable diaper but in cloth).

Nora and I went on a 12 hour plane trip in cloth diapers and it worked out great. You just need to put something like a 1 gallon ziplock bag in your diaper bag to put the wet diapers into. Really a wet or dirty diaper is the same for cloth or disposable. The biggest difference is the savings on money and the reduction of chemicals you are exposing your kiddo to.

We loved out cloth!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  09:42:54 AM  Show Profile
hi there! I just bought a whole bunch of Bumgenius totbot diapers-they're all in ones. The filling is made of that bamboo cloth mentioned above, and you can purchase extra inserts. The store I buy my cloth diaper stuff from is Mother Nurture in Lexington, KY. http://www.mothernurtureky.com/pages/map.php

They are SUPER helpful and VERY nice-they might be able to help you with the rubbing issue AND get you some of the bamboo inserts. :)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Megan- I have heard good things about Bumgenius. Isn't the bamboo cloth amazing! I love how soft it is!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Neat, I will check them out! Oh another quick question from the pros, how are cloth diapers sized? Both my kids are in size 4's in regular diapers, is that how cloth diapers are sized? Thanks for all the help so far, I am a lot more confident in giving them a try now!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Krystle- It really depends on the brands. A lot of the diapers have snaps that let one diaper "grow" with the child.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth diapering question... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page