Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone successfully lowered their blood pressure without prescription meds? And kept it down? Mine has been creeping up over the last year or so - and recently my doctor told me if I didn't get it down I'd have to start BP meds. I really want to avoid that... I'm exercising everyday (walking) - watching my sodium intake - working on shedding some extra pounds - taking hawthorn, garlic, and fish oil... Any other suggestions?

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  7:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Gey away from as much processed foods as possible. I make everything from scratch except bread and use frozen veges when I run out of my own from my garden. You would be so surprised at how much salt and bad stuff is in canned and processed foods. Fresh is best, but I usually don't have the money to buy from the produce section, so we get the frozen foods. It has less than half the salt and chemicals of canned veges.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Yep, cut out all the salt. You'll have to become a label reader, because salt is in EVERYTHING. Also, boost your intake of potassium naturally with foods high in it. Mainly fruits and vegetables. Good luck with it.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Bananas are high in potassium and are supposed to help with BP. A gentleman from Egypt told me that they use hibiscus tea in Egpyt to control blood pressure. Drink it hot for high blood pressure and cold for low blood pressure, he recommended about 3 cups a day. Unfortunately, I haven't been very good about drinking it to test how well it does. My fiance's sister just got back from Dubay and hopefully she remembered to bring me some more tea back so I can give it a good try.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone - yes, I have become a label reader and found it amazing how much sodium there is in EVERYTHING. I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies and making soup, etc from scratch. I made biscuits and muffins - but so far, I've been eating Ezekiel bread - it has some sodium, but not too bad. I hadn't heard about the hibiscus tea - I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again - I'll keep plugging along.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lorraine,

My blood pressure was pre-hypertension. I started Weight Watchers and lost 20+ pounds. My blood pressure is now normal. It's amazing what shedding some pounds and exercise can do. It sounds like you are definitely on the right path. Stay away from Licorice, that will cause it to jump. I will be praying for you!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 04 2011 10:41:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile
I have heard celery will lower blood pressure but have not tried it as I have low blood pressure. Read about it somewhere like prevention or the like.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:56:54 AM  Show Profile
My husband cut out all processed food, coffee, and Coke years ago and is still med free.

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Its so nice to hear the success stories. Sharon - I'm working on the weight issue. I didn't think I was that overweight, but it had crept up there while I wasn't paying attention (grumble, grumble). But this is the kick in the pants I needed - it was a little scarey to receive the news. I was on Weight Watchers in 2006 and lost 20 lbs, but got stopped following it and no consistent exercise - and I gained it back. So, I'm back on the straight and narrow. I've realized its a lot more challenging to control the sodium intake than fat or carbs. Its in everything! I read about the licorice - not a problem for me since I'm not a big licorice fan. Thanks for the prayers - they are greatly appreciated.

Kathy - I had not heard about celery. Hope that's true because I like celery.

Kathy Jane - was it the caffeine that he was avoiding? I don't drink coffee or Coke, but I LOVE tea. Yikes...

Thanks again everyone - I'm more encouraged that I can do this on my own. You're the best!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Blood Pressure Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page