Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile

Sharing a couple of pictures looking out my windows. Over 18 inches of new snow and 40-50 mph winds. They closed all the roads last night except for I-90 and told everyone to stay off the roads. I think all the warnings were done to try and prevent what happened a couple of years ago. We had a big storm and people were driving on I-90. About 45 cars were stranded there for 2 days and the people were upset that the rescue vehicles couldn't come and get them. When they say stay home it means stay home people! I actually look forward to being snowed in. All my family is safe and we are warm. It is real cozy.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile
I am home for the second day in a row due to the weather here. They say that Tulsa, OK got 21" which is a lot for OK. We got around a foot here, but the snow drifts are 5' or more. DH had to go to work today, so I had him take my car since it's an SUV and he drives a little Grand Prix. The neighbor had him park it under her carport and there is more snow on it than was on mine. I will be going out soon (it's only 5 degrees right now) to clear it off and bring it home. We're all okay but we have a 3-year-old wanting out and even the dogs won't go out without being forcibly led out. It'll be okay though. We just usually don't get hit this hard. Yesterday was actually a blizzard and we all just hunkered down with homemade soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:31:55 AM  Show Profile
We got 20.5 inches here in northern Illinois. The drifts are massive. My poor truck is completely covered, then the drift went all the way to the top of the garage.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:51:40 AM  Show Profile
WOW!

I feel for ya....we had a brisk wind coming off the bay up here in the UP of Michigan with just a dusting of snow, but NOTHING compared to what is hitting Illinois right now-I looked at some news footage in Chicago early this morning and I have to say it is beautiful in an way and it must be as silent as a tomb downtown-If you can get out and cross country through all those quiet streets... now wouldn't that be fun?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  10:14:59 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't even get my door open this morning, there was so much snow. Luckily my neighbor noticed and came and dug us out. I made them an oatmeal almond pie as a thank you offering. Nothing better than baking on a snow day!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

prvrbs31gal
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lanette
Gurnee IL
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  2:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I *JUST* saw a recipe for Oatmeal Almond Pie in the latest issue of Grit. I'd NEVER heard of it before! Now may be I'll have to try making it, since school is canceled for tomorrow, too! We still haven't been plowed out!

Homesteading on the Homefront. Proud Navy wife, homemaker, and mom of 2 sweet girls.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile
That is where I got the recipe! It was good, especially when it was warm and with vanilla ice cream.

Are schools closed again tomorrow? I am torn about making the trip to Milwaukee. I only have one class, but we have convocation and I really don't want to miss it.

Farmgirl #1947

Edited by - woolgirl on Feb 02 2011 3:21:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  6:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Now comes the bitter cold. It looked like a lot of schools will still be closed tomorrow. Have you seen the news and pictures of Lakeshore Drive? It has been turned into a parking lot. Yikes! We looked at pictures from the storm in 1967 - very similar. It was one heck of a storm, that's for sure. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  6:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Here in the St. Louis region, our roads have been cleared pretty well, but it's supposed to get very cold tonight--below zero, with even lower wind chills. I haven't had any mail in two days. didn't have to go into work today either but I will tomorrow. I saw pictures of "Lake Snow Drive" and I'm glad I'm not in Chicago! Especially with that wind coming off the lake. Hope all you Chicagoans stay warm. I have homemade sweet potato soup to keep me warm. Please be careful if you have to venture out, and dress warm.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  05:34:00 AM  Show Profile
I too, lived through the blizzard of '78 in Ohio.

City Chick, how are you doing? Did you get the full 24 inches they predicted?

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  09:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Very windy here today, but coming from the west-

What a mess in Illinois! The pictures look surreal! Kinda reminds me of the "old" days when blizzards were more frequent up here in the Great North Woods and now it seems to me like everything is shifting down from us. We now have more cold and less snow...

Take care Farmgirls-I'm thinking about you!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:23:15 AM  Show Profile
We got 20". Took us 2 days to dig out. The plow went down our alley and left a 6' berm in front of the garage.

I posted some pix on Facebook. Took my youngest dd on her paper route yesterday. What a workout - climbing over snow piles and walking through thigh high snow in places where people didn't shovel.

The pix of downtown - Lake Shore Drive are very surreal. Many people were trapped for 9 hours or so. In their cars. I hope they had supplies. Although, I question why they would have even taken that route since they were talking about 30' waves crashing down onto Lake Shore Drive all day.

Out of school for 2 days. Unheard of here. First time in 20 years. Now back to the grind for 1 day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Excuse me, but WHY is it still snowing?!? We only got access to our mailboxes today, and the heavens open up and dump a couple more inches of this nasty stuff on us? Why, why why?!?

I remember when I loved snow.....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  07:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine i was thinking the SAME thing this morning.

I love you snow, but I am over you, it is time for us to part ways.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  11:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Catherine & Elizabeth - I'm with you both. Walked out of the house to drive to work this morning to find it snowing again (or still I haven't figured out which). Enough is enough. Watching the news yesterday morning they're showing snow nearly the entire week! Thankfully no real accumulation but none the less I'm tired of this white stuff.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Weather Report: Previous Topic Blizzard warning Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page