City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  05:05:07 AM  Show Profile
I swear that the media plays this up big time! Makes people panic. They're estimating up to 24" of snow in our area. From Tuesday night into Wednesday.

(Dare I say, I'm looking forward to it? )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  06:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Snowing and Waiting For a blizzard Yeah Cant Wait

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile
We have the same forecast here and I am surprised the news/weathermen haven't shut down the whole state yet. With our 4-6" forecasts they've been making such a big deal and having the 'winter weather advisory' crap going on... I just don't get it- we're supposed to get snow! This is Wisconsin (or the midwest, since you're in Illinois ;) We're supposed to get a couple inches today, then anywhere from 12" to 24" more Tuesday-Wednesday. (depending on which forecast you listen to, the inches change!)
I don't understand why they make such a big deal out of snow. My parents never complained about snow, and were never afraid to go out and do things in blizzard conditions. I also had a paper route which I was doing during the 'blizzard of 2000' and mine was the only one that got done on time- we didn't even consider waiting out the snow and letting the plows get out before us because snow happens around here. My husband and I usually make a trip into the city and go out to dinner during our snowstorms. Since the weathermen scare everyone into staying home there is no wait at Red Lobster!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile
I see people on FB & Twitter asking what to do during a blizzard - with the kids. We've always been the same way - you carry on! My girls have a paper route and we'll be delivering during the storm. It's also a great time to visit the zoo. We're really close to a large one. We may sneak over on Wednesday - no one will be there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile
I hope we get the maximum snow predicted - looking forward to being snowed in. Although, I don't have to drive in it. My husband is going to work earlier than usual so he can come home earlier and hopefully beat the snow. I was working in Chicago during the big snowstorm on Valentines Day 1990. It normally took me an hour to get home - but it took me over 5 hrs that night. So glad I can be home and make a big pot of soup, bake some bread, do some work from home, read a book... Ahhhh... Bring it on...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile
I really don't want any more snow or ice i am so sick of this weather i could puke. It was so warm yesterday around 52 and it was so nice to not have to be in the house. They say we are supposed to get freezing rain today and the rain turning into snow for tuesday. I really hope it goes around us. I don't think i can handle being stuck in the house anymore.

I am ready for the warm weather. Bring it on. I am so tired of bein cooped up in the house!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  10:43:45 AM  Show Profile
This is Wisconsin, so a foot or two is expected. I just think the 35-40 mph winds could make it a little blizzardy. My DD from SC is here and forgot what it was like. She is quickly getting a reminder.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Jan 31 2011 12:27:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:01:16 AM  Show Profile
I live in Oklahoma. This year we have been blessed to not have lots of snow as so many other states have had dumped on them. But now that we have ice, snow, etc. in the forecast, our news media is going into hysteria mode. Just causes people to panic rather than plan and prepare. As long as hubby is safe at home with me, let it snow or whatever. Keep safe, keep warm everyone!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:09:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm totally with everybody on this. Seriously, a storm advisory out already? They have us here in the 12" - 18" catagory - it will be the largest one time snowfall in over a decade. I've gotten messages already from friends asking, "Have you gotten extra milk and bread yet?". Seriously? I don't stockpile like I did when I lived in Maine or have the oil lamps and such that I use to keep handy for emergencies but here in Michigan we don't get the snow storms we did in Maine either. I do have a couple days worth of food on hand though.

I've decided that another 2+ hour drive one way (normal is 35 minutes) is not appealing so I've already warned the company I work for that I may take a vacation day if it does get bad. The last time we got 4" it took me 2.5 hours to get home. What a nightmare. To tell the truth I'm almost looking forward to a snowday. I can't remember the last time I had one was :O)

They've got the road crews down to bare bones now due to budget cuts and they're not even doing most side streets any more. Our neighbors both have blades on their trucks so they do our street and the next one over and then their kids use 4 wheelers with blades doing all the sidewalks from one end to the other. I feel sorry for neighborhoods where people aren't willing to help each other. If I do get my snowday I might be nice and make some yummy cinnamon rolls for them to snack on after they're done plowing. I think that would show appreciation, don't you?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

catturner68
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Casey
Carrollton Tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:14:31 AM  Show Profile
In Dallas, the whole city practically shuts down if ANYTHING white falls out of the sky. I have already had students ask me about school tomorrow & it is still 55 outside right now. They have been watching the weather reports & freaking out right along with the news media. Snow days are nice, but I think I would much rather be working.

Peace, Love, & Yoga.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile
We too are getting the 12-24 inches prediction all the way over here in Vermont. I must say, I'm looking forward to it. My hubby works in the school system, and he'll get a snow day. Maybe I'll make a nice yummy breakfast...mmmm...

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I commute from Noerthern IL to Milwaukee. Is it bad that I am already hoping everything is shut down Wednesday? teeheee....

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile
We've been getting freezing rain here, followed by the threat (?) of lots of snow. some people at the hospital where I work are staying there OVERNIGHT. You couldn't PAY me to stay there overnight! (Not unless I was very sick). I did buy some salt but only because I don't want the mail carrier to slip on my sidewalk and sue me. I like ice storms. The whole world looks like a frosted wedding cake.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  8:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, they are predicting not only snow but a fast accumulation, which gets bad in the city proper. I think the farther out you are, the worse travel can be but also the more practiced you are at being ready lol. Many city folk only know how to drive to the nearest fast food shop for dinner - sad but true. But there are also so many issues with elderly not getting meds and such.....I was only 3 when the big one hit in '67 but the stories have survived the family lore. Plows couldn't keep up. I had an uncle who had to abandon his truck on a highway, took him three days to get home. Smart alec he was, he never called in to the garage like the other drivers, he figured they should be paying for his time because work was the only reason he was out, so by union law they had to pay him overtime for all three days. All the other drivers called in after they were forced (sometimes by police) to abandon their trucks, so their pay stopped at the time they called. Don't think you'd get away with that these days LOL!! My dad opened a basement window and carved a snowman out of the drifting snow :)

I am sort of looking forward to it though, just because I know me and mine are prepared. I work retail, live a 10 min walk away, and like the idea of an empty store where I can get some projects done. My DM would kill me for saying so, but there it is. A short vacation from our lovely customers will be nice.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile
In NW Ohio, when I was a kid, a few inches of snow was nothing and life just went on. There wasn't the panic with the media, and we generally had school unless there was ice on the roads.......and even then it had to be pretty bad. It started to snow like the dickens when I got off work last night, and it's to get 'bad' later today.

The blizzard of '78 was a doozy, and we survived that sucker! Thank goodness my parents had a fireplace so we all hunkered down out in the family room for over 5 days.

I'll admit to loving the white stuff, and am hoping to have a day or two off from work. But for today I'll go in and will get my hiney home from the 'bad' stuff is to start.....

Everyone be careful!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  06:13:11 AM  Show Profile
My son in San Angelos TX sent a text he was so excited they had snow and snowball fight last night.
Its just snowing and blowing here. Still waiting for the big storm my kids have never seen a true blizzard.

Go to Top of Page

Lil Lady
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Renee
Waynesburg Ohio
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  09:01:36 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't mind a lot of snow to make "snow angels" in. (yes I am a child at heart) BUT today I am ICED in..can't walk outside - have the compressor on standby in case we lose power...this stinks....would rather have snow.....

Blessings to all!
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  09:47:35 AM  Show Profile
I wish they would stop trying to scare us all to death, it's northern Ohio, it snows, we have lake effect, we get freezing rain once in a while, we live....I can't believe today that every school in a 5 county radius is closed ! we got 6-8 inches overnight, I've driven them to school on so much worse days than this.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, I think it's weird they closed school today. Even the weather guy I listen to last night said all these school closings today were silly, as the storm won't even hit until tonight. He thought tomorrow and Thursday a lot would shut down if it hits like they think it will, but why today? Weird.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:09:02 PM  Show Profile
We've been declared state of emergency. We have had at least 14" so far. Wind is very strong. They say we will have another 5 hrs of snow. They said by thurs. we will have 21 below, wind chill. Having a white out. I'm here taking care of grandkids this week and we are playing alot of games and cooking! Everyone be very careful. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I grew up around Millbury in Wood county, know what you 're talking about. I remember the blizzard, we lived in the kitchen for four days, it was the only time I remember my dad not going to work. we had to wait til the national guard dug road out but we knew how to survive and handle things. people don't know what to do now without their daily trip to the mall or no lights. our snow is just starting, having some sleet too. my oldest is at work, as soon as he gets home I'll feel better
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:59:20 PM  Show Profile
I went into work today but left early. the roads weren't too bad (then) but now we have wind gusting up to 40 mph. I shoveled off my porch and the snow was very heavy since it had ice mixed with it. I called my parents and told my mom not to let my dad shovel any snow. He's eighty and I worry about him over-stressing himself. The stores here which are normally open 24 hours are closing tonight as well. I don't have to work tomorrow as the hospital is almost shut down except for those depts. which need to stay open. I don't mind the snow or the ice but I don't like the wind. Stay warm, everyone. Brrr.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, in over 20 years working retail I have never been in a store that closed due to weather. Power outages, 9/11, but not snow lol. Most stores here already have sign sup saying they will be closed tomorrow, which is good because then the plows can do their work and hopefully Th can approach some normalcy. My village and several other local governments called all in the municipality to say stay home, park off the streets, and that the buses/government will not be running tomorrow. The only thing I am missing is a roaring fireplace! Got my good books, craft project, tea and hot chocolate. The wind is wicked out there but it really is beautiful if you stay smart. I hope to get some good pics!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  06:55:34 AM  Show Profile
So we're socked in with snow here southwest of Chicago. It is still coming down like crazy and the wind is blowing really hard. It is hard to tell how much snow we actually got due to the drifting. I heard on the radio that it was 17.5 inches since yesterday afternoon at Midway airport.

The winds were incredible last night and really shook our solidly built house. We also had a thunderstorm with it and it was odd to see lighting and hear thunder amongst the wind & snow. Work and school have both been canceled for today. We plan to do a bunch of projects that never seem to get done on the weekend. Although after that big breakfast we just ate, maybe a nap would be more productive!

I hope everyone stays warm, safe and snug. Pray for an early, early spring!
Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Feb 02 2011 2:59:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Please stay warm and safe girls! I'm thinkin' of all of you folks being slammed by this storm and sending out a big hug and an imaginary mug of cocoa to all of you!

Warm and sunny thoughts

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:10:32 AM  Show Profile

Our Side yard and wow is it cold everything is closed police are giving tickets if they catch you driving

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Weather Report: Previous Topic Blizzard warning Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page