True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  09:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for making a coffee table? I am pretty handy but have run out of inspiration (we are moving and the planning and packing has sucked the creativity right out of me). We have a 50's retro look in our living room/dining room, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions of how to make a coffee table that fits the look and on a budget? Any other 50s retro suggestions are welcome, as I am addicted (50s cowgirl curtains started the whole thing-- dang you ebay!) and I appreciate anything anyone has to contribute! Thanks all!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  01:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Have you thought about making a kidney shaped coffee table like they had in the 50's & painting it like turq? You could look at ones on the web to get an idea & then sorta copy it freehand on butcherpaper or that brown shipping paper then cut it out & tape it to a piece of 1/2" thick plywood, trace it out on the wood then use a jigsaw to cut it out.....I would go to the hardware store & look for piping that has the one end that screws into a metal plate & use that for the legs since I bet it will be hard to find anything like the original legs from way back then. If you don't want to paint it you could find maybe some old plastic tile flooring to cover the top & just paint the sides & the underside.....I am very handy with power tools so I am always building things....lol or for the sides get thin metal flashing to nail to it ....I know if you asked a older person at the hardware store they would know what I am talking about...young ones won't have a clue.....good luck sounds like tons of fun! Michele' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:58:50 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea. I might have to do that. I am not so handy, so we will see. Do you think they will cut the board in that shape for me? Thanks for the idea!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic 1950s retro decorating ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page