Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Wall Tent Advice.... Next Topic  

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  9:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Ever since I set eyes on the Wall Tent featured in MaryJane's book.. I have fallen in love with the idea. I homeschool, and love the idea of using the tent for that also.

We have had a gazebo every year for about 7 years now. I really enjoy basically living outside in my backyard during the warm weathered months. But every 2 years I end up replacing the gazebos because they really are not made well. Last fall was the last straw, our most expensive gazebo was reduced to "metal sculpture" by some pretty terrific winds.

So this year, I have convinced DH to buy a wall tent
I have researched these.. and they are not cheap. I will be getting one with a cylinder stove in it so we can use it in the colder months too.
My question to you is.. What brand, type etc.. Would anyone recommend?

Take care,

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Check out Colorado Tent and Yurt Company - they sent me a catalog a while ago, and it has some great tents in it. I don't have one, but that is who I would order it from...

Also, the source for the cylinder stoves is in MJ's book - I can't think of it right now, but I know it's in there...

How exciting for you!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:54:52 AM  Show Profile
I know that MJ's book also has plans for a Wall Tent, I'm not that handy, and DH is so busy if I wait for him.. I'll be waiting the next couple of years.
I've looked at all kinds of outfitters online. They all pretty much are the same. I was just hoping that someone else has purchased one.. and would tell me if they liked it.

I'll check out Colorado Tent company.. I don't think I've looked at that one yet...

Thanks!

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any advice, but just want to say I love MJ's wall tents! They look so cozy. What happened to the huts they used to feature with the tents to rent? Does anyone know? I thought those looked neat too.
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile
I too love being outside and had problems with winds, so my solution is to have hubby put up posts that I will attach lattice to and roof with the translucent panels. I have bamboo which comes up every year for privacy and also morning glories. This way I will have a permenent structure that the wind can't damage. Something along this line might work for you also. You could plant any type of vine to cover it, or sunflowers along the edges, what ever strikes your fancy. And building an outdoor fireplace would provide heat for cooler times. Good luck in what ever you do.
quote:
Originally posted by JennyWren

Ever since I set eyes on the Wall Tent featured in MaryJane's book.. I have fallen in love with the idea. I homeschool, and love the idea of using the tent for that also.

We have had a gazebo every year for about 7 years now. I really enjoy basically living outside in my backyard during the warm weathered months. But every 2 years I end up replacing the gazebos because they really are not made well. Last fall was the last straw, our most expensive gazebo was reduced to "metal sculpture" by some pretty terrific winds.

So this year, I have convinced DH to buy a wall tent
I have researched these.. and they are not cheap. I will be getting one with a cylinder stove in it so we can use it in the colder months too.
My question to you is.. What brand, type etc.. Would anyone recommend?

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile
it's on our 'wish list' too ... right now .. we are just concentrating on getting our back porch built .. and after that .. i'm going to start reseaching these too. we have a most magnificent spot on top of the 'mountain' (kentucky hill) in a thick pine grove where i would love to build it .. but as charming as that would be .. it would entice 'deer hunters' i fear .. sooo ... i think we'll put it closer to the house .. especially so that when the 'grands' visit .. they can sleep there and not feel so isolated. (we do have coyotes in the woods and THAT would keep me from letting kids stay there alone!) xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
Sorry I didn't see your posts before today! To answer Jill's question about our huts, they're still here, but we're removed them from our B&B site (www.maryjanesfarm.org/bb/) for the time being since we've turned one into our "farm store" and we keep the other for family and friends. As for the tents, though, as we say in the book, our tents came from the Colorado Yurt Company (www.coloradoyurt.com) and we've been VERY pleased with them. (See photos of them at our B&B link above.) This will be their third summer and they've held up very well. In the book, we give instructions for building the wooden frame and raised floor.
Thanks!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  1:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Carol, when I read the book I was confused about how the Colorado Yurt Company tents would fit with the platforms you described. The pictures on their website all seem to show guide wires or internal support of some kind.

Could you describe how your tents are attached to the frame and floor? Will different size/style tents fit on the same raised platform?
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  3:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amie.
Well, I'm sure no expert on building a wall tent, but I just looked at the book, and it tells that the tent MaryJane used is a 12x14 one from Colorado Yurt Co. and it also says you can adjust the platform to fit other sizes. She also tells what else she ordered from them (a 3-piece wood pole set, etc.). The netting on our tents is screwed to the platform, but the canvas is free so that it can roll up; I'll guess those kinds of instructions come with the tent. We're just showing you how our platforms and extra support rails are constructed; you might have to check with Colorado Yurt or whatever company you contact about the tent for actual tent assembly instructions. Hope this helps!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile
A wall tent is on our wish list as well. I can't wait.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  09:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Yes! My husband and I want to get a wall tent as well! I have been thinking about even possible living in one short term until we build a house once we move. For where we want to live it is a lot cheaper to buy raw land and build on it, than it is to buy a house already on the land. I think it would be an adventure, and we could move a lot sooner if we just lived in a wall tent for a few months but if I have to live in it during the winter... I wonder what it would be like with 2 kids too. But what did they do in pioneer days? What would be the perks to getting a yurt over a wall tent?

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Wall Tent Advice.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page