CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  5:34:21 PM  Show Profile
how do you mostly wear your hair? tied back .. up .. headband .. short .. medium .. long .. flying wild? .. oh .. and what COLOR is it?

Mine is down to about the middle of my back and is ALWAYS flying wild .. no matter what i'm doing.

haven't seen my 'natural' color in many, many moons .. but from the roots i'd say it is still very dark brown .. but i have been a BLONDE almost all my adult life. was when i was a young'un too .. but sometime in my teens .. it started turning dark .. but .. i took it RIGHT BACK TO BLONDE!

how do you do your 'do'?

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  6:19:39 PM  Show Profile
My hair is ala natural. No dying, no tinting. I was a toehead (guess right spelling) when I was little until I was about 10 or 12, then my hair turn "dishwater" blonde to a light brown. Now, at 42, it is kinda darker brown in the winter with gray highlights and lighter brown in the summer, with blonde and gray highlights.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  8:18:19 PM  Show Profile
I have had long hair most of my life. It has been very short only a few times and down to my knees on more than one occasion. It is waist level now. I cut 15 inches last year and gave it to Locks of Love. I wear it pulled back in a braided bun using hairsticks I had designed by a local artist here in Spokane. 95% of the time it is this way..rarely do I let it down. It was blonde when I was younger but is streaking like crazy with grey and white. After having children, I've noticed that it has gone from straight to wavey...hormones, I guess.
Frannie, I've loved the pictures of you and your wild hair.. just beautiful!
many smiles,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  8:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
My hair is finally back down to the middle of my back again. (I donated it to Locks of Love two summers ago and it took forever to grow back out! LOL) I wear it down sometimes, but it's so much easier just to tie it up in a twisted bun with a hairband. Right now it's my natural brown, but it lightening up with the summer sun and beach/pool trips. I'd love to have highlights put in, but I'm scared to do it myself and it's too expensive for long hair for me to justify doing it. I'll have to one of these days, just to hide the grays that are trying to sneak in here and there though.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  9:14:04 PM  Show Profile
mine is down to my tush..I always wear it long..but pinned back on either side with a side part.If I get real hot though with gardening or chores I'll either braid it with the braid falling over my shoulder or pull it back in a low ponytail. It is brownish/auburn with blonde highlights that are growing out ..my roots are coming back and the blonde part starts around my ears now..LOL.. when I was young I had really blonde hair with soft curls up until I was about 3 or 4 then it all went straight and that started turning brown/auburnish red when I hit my late teens.(luckily no greys yet)
My 15 year old daughters hair though is down to her knees now..hers she wears either in a bun with hairsticks she has designed(they are easy to make using chopsticks, wire wrapping and beads)or she'll pin it back in a ponytail with a long braid.My baby daughter has blonde blonde hair that has natural soft curls and is shoulder length.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Long and getting longer by the day. my hair grows so fast it would nt be cost effective for me to try to keep it short ad it looks terrible that way any way. I used to be able to sit on it but cut it off to my chin and kept it that way for a while ( oh why oh why did i do that UGG BAD)I had never dyed it till my senior year in high school then for a few years i hennaed (sp) it red but the longer it got the more expensive that got. Now it is back to a rich brown with natural blonde highlights from the sun. It is stick strait because i blow dry it or it is straight in some places and weird and wavy in others. I usally keep it back in a pony tail because it starts to drive me crazy after a little while being down.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Mine is very dark brown with a few greys here and there..not enough to bother coloring it..and I figure that I am 47 ..heck, I deserve a few. It is thick and wavy and I most always wear a barrette on either side and alot of the time in summer pull it up in a braided ponytail or two braids. Once in a while a bun..but it dosn't look good on me. Too much hair for those claw things to hold it so I never do that. I have bangs but the rest is about all the same length now after a disastrous cut I gave myself two winters ago..what was I thinking. I look best with long hair and don't ever plan to get it short again. I always have hated it when I do..and started growing it out the next day.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Hahaha! Great fun topic Frannie! I'm a girly girl & love changing my hair! Right now it's a combination of platinum blonde & dark streaks. My hair is naturally curly but I can change it to punked out straight with the help of my trusty flat iron! Where where these when I was in high school!? My do has been every color from calico to hot pink! LOL Don't ask! I wear my hair short most of the time. Lucky me, I have one of those guys who actually PREFERS short hair! I've always wished I was a redhead!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Mine is long and curly. I have always had the curls. The color...well as I am 52 years young now there is a lot of gray...but not to worry I cover that up. People do not think I look 52, but they probably would if I let the true color come out. I stay pretty much with what the natural color was...an auburn color.
I put it up in a barrett and use ponytail holders when it is hot. I have cut it at times over the years, but only had it short once when I was about 13...mom though it would be easier to care for because it was so curly. That looked terrible. We did not have gels or spritz then to tame wild hair. Although there was Brill creme..."a little dab will do ya." It was for boys. My mom curled my hair and did put some kind of goo on it to keep it tame. It did not need to curl anymore, but this did keep it in place. It was like it was pasted down! Stiff like if you use way too much hairspray.
Both of my daughters wear their hair long...which I am glad for.
I think it is more old-fashioned to have my hair long, plus I look better.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  04:14:08 AM  Show Profile
my hair is short, a bit wavy and very silver. I love it, its perky just like me!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  04:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Mine is shoulder length after trying to keep it in a "style" with spray for a few years of frustration! It was mid-back length for most of my life, until I turned 45 and thought maybe I'd better do something. It has a lot of gray in front, which I keep color on; dark brown, but as I don't know how long I want that color, I get it diluted with conditioner, so if I go natural it won't be with a demarcation line. My DH loves long gray hair.... he may be looking at it sometime soon. I either twist up my hair and plop on a hat or wear a ponytail in this heat.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  04:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Medium brown, with some gray. DH says he can't see, but I do. Thick, straight, and all natural color. Right now it is just past my shoulders, in what I call long layers, which gives it nice waves. I will occasionally get it cut just at my neck. However, I typically like it just long enough to put up in a pony, which I do on occasion for gardening and such. For the last five years, I have pretty much left my hair to fly free. It almost always loose and flowing, falling and flying where is may. I have no bangs, and no specific part.I am a wash and where girl, rarely using a blow dryer (most often in winter) or extra chemicals. When younger I never felt that I had the right hairstyle. I always picked the wrong one. I my hair never wanted to obey. My thoughts now are,keep it clean, healthy, free of knots, but let it be itself. Now at 37 I am finally comfortable with my hair.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:25:50 AM  Show Profile
oh what fun .. to hear your desriptions of the 'hars on yore haids' .. seems lotsa' farmgirls have LONG hair .. don't know why .. but i thought more of ya'll would have SHORT hair .. more carefree and easy to take care of what with doin' farm chores! but then .. pulling it up and back is kinda' easy too.

i've been in the garden all morning (trying to beat the hot summer sun) .. planting more plants, herbs and veggies .. and i can't hardly see left or right with it hanging straight down on the sides .. came in to grab a band to pull it back .. but lordy! i swear .. pulling it up and back adds 45 years to me .. guess that's why i kinda' hide behind it all bushed out in every direction!

every now and then i get a hankerin' to cut it short and 'pert' like michele .. but then i think how long it has taken me to get it long .. and so far .. i 'leave it be'.

i don't see any 'silver streaks' in those roots yet .. but then .. my daddy who is 82 has a full head of dark hair with very few silver strands .. gosh .. if it WOULD turn silver .. i could stop all this bleachin'! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I have very dark brown hair, always have except one summer when I thought I'd try blonde. Not a great look for me. I have been trying to grow it long since high school, which I swear was just yesterday! But to no avail. so I guess I will keep it at my shoulders or just slightly shorter. I'm tired of fighting it and am ready to embrace short hair. And gray is finally findig me- though if I pull them out I'll end up bald!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Decided what the heck...I would just show you...you cant see the grey...but MY WORD! it is there!!! Hubby doesnt want me to color it or cut it. Wet it is mid back but as you can see it is rather curly. Always has been. It has been pixie and it has been past my hiney. I get it trimmed to this length about once a year. I can manage it that length. These pictures were taken about a year ago. I either wear it down (with a thin headband or a couple of combs) as you see (hubby's favorite)...or pigtails...or twisty buns on each side of my head (my favorite) - the Princess Leia Look! That's my sweet Rachel with me. By the way, she likes to play around with photo shop, can you tell?

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:53:36 AM  Show Profile
What a fun topic! I love reading about how you all wear your hair. Mine is almost mid-back with long layers-shorter layers in front, but not bangs. For me, long hair works. I don't curl it-might pull the sides back in barrettes or bobbies to keep it out of my eyes. I rarely blow dry it-haven't colored it in years-letting the grays intermingle with the med brown. Like Aunt Jenny, I figure I'm in my mid-40's and I deserve the one's I have! :)
Occasionally, I'll wear a headband or a ribbon or silk scarf to keep it in place. I love hair accessories and have tons of them everywhere. I can't wear those comb thingy's either though-darn, but I do pull it up in pony's or huge barrettes or twist it wet and use those leather holders with the stick-whatever they are called. Today, it is loose and free though! :)
Ellen in MI

Great pictures Susan! You and your daughter are beautiful!

Edited by - Lavender Cottage on Jun 21 2006 06:13:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  06:23:52 AM  Show Profile
I love reading about Farmgirl Hair!!
Susan- You look so cute! And your daughter is beautiful.
My hair is short, dark brown with a lot of red in it that you can only see in the sun!! And always tucked behind my ears!! It is very thick and wavy, which is a bane and a blessing at the same time. Long, it is too much of a chore to care for, and I just don't have the time or the patience for it! My mom always said I looked best in short hair. Darn it! I hate when she's right!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile
I just got my hair cut last week. It is just barely touching my shoulders with bangs and lots of layers. I blow dry my bangs and let the rest dry naturally. I have somewhat wavy hair, it's got lots of body. Humidity in the summer helps that along. It's naturally dark brown, but I'm growing out some red and some blonde highlights.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jun 21 2006 07:32:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, I LOVE the lavender cottage name, its great! I love anything cottage!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile
My hair is naturally strawberry blonde. It gets more strawberry in the winter and more blonde in the summer. I also have green eyes and fair skin and get lots of freckles in the summer. Hopefully someday I'll get enough freckles that I look tan
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  08:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I am growing out years of wearing my hair short. Once I went out on disability I could no longer justify spending what I did to keep it short and the right color. And to be honest I had been wanting to grow it out for some time.

The longest part of it is about shoulder length but the old bangs are only to my chin. It's right at the awkward length where I want to put it up because it's getting hot but it's not all quite long enough.

It's very thick, wavy and a dirty blond color. I don't know where all that grey went that I've been paying to cover up. There is some there but it's not that bad. My mom had most beautiful silver hair and I would love for my hair to go to that color.

If I'm going to go out I scrunch it up after washing it and I use a curl releaser type gel. I will tell you that I saw my fella last weekend. He hadn't seen me since last August and he couldn't say enough about how good it looked. Wanted to know if I lost weight etc., so I guess I'm heading in the right direction. I want to be able to wear it in braids or a pony tail.

Kathy

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele!! :)

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Susan!!! You are too cute!!!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile
I keep my hair in as short of a bob I can go without having to get out the clippers for the back of my head. I had it grown out to my mid back until around last September when baby Halsey's favorite thing to do was grab and pull. I tried coloring it but I am not all that into the upkeep. I have a couple of greys coming in but I don't really mind.. I am also thinking about perming it, I have never had short curly hair.. I have only ever done long and curly.. so that could be a fun change for a while, and it would keep it even shorter without having to clip it or shave my head!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  3:35:04 PM  Show Profile
I have thick auburn hair (thanks, L'oreal)that falls almost to my shoulders. I have it in layers cuz it needs some body. I have bangs but they're a pain in the butt and thinking about growing them out. I wear it down and usually have it behind one ear or the other. Have to keep it a certain length cuz when I go to the gym I want to be able to put it in a ponytail. Hair was originally dirty blonde and then went to light brown. Grew it midway down my back two years ago, but started looking kinda skanky. I may try it again though. I really like long hair.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  7:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
This is a great topic!! My hair is a dark reddish brown almost to the middle of my back...naturally....kind of a plain brown with more gray then I would like to admit! lol....its curly but when I take the time to do it i blow and iron it straight. If I knew how to add pics to the posts I would send a pic!

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl HAIR! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page