198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

Just had to get this off my chest.

Driving home from work tonight, I was in a car accident. Pretty much totalled the car, but I'm okay. No injuries that I can tell. I really don't remember much except hitting a concrete barrier, front right tire blowing (actually, I don't know the order of events) and then driving my poor battered car off the main highway and parking on an side connector bit. Yeah, it happened on the highway with fast speeding cars. Luckily, no other cars were involved. And this proved to be a situation where a cell phone would have been useful. I guess that's just another reason to get one... So, the police came by (I guess someone called it in) and I got towed to a collision centre where I had to file a claim etc. It's been hours since the accident, but I'm still shook up. I was finally able to have a cry and I've stopped stuttering and shaking. OH, I had the shakes real bad. I'm taking the day off tomorrow. Need to deal with car things and I don't think I'm ready just yet to get back on the highway to work. The car appears to be a write-off too. I guess I'm just having an unlucky week! -Cat

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cat, that's awful! Sounds like you need a really good sleep and to just stay put. Did you get hurt?!? Take good care...thinking about you!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  7:33:03 PM  Show Profile
My goodness! Sorry about the car but I'm glad you are okay!

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  9:04:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you're okay -- while a car can be replaced, you sure can't be . I hope everything goes smoothly with the insurance company, etc.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  9:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Cat!!!
That is why I did'nt know what you were taking about..it just happened! I am so sorry but am so thankful that you are ok! Does anyone know what happened?
I know what you mean by the shakes... I got them from seeing a horrible accident...I am so sorry. Please rest and make sure you are alright!

Hope you will be feeling better soon!

Hugz!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  11:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear! I'm so happy that you're okay - don't even think twice abou the car - that can be worked out. I hope tonight you can relax a bit. How scary.... Sending good thoughts!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  06:47:32 AM  Show Profile
How scary!! I'm glad you are OK though. Cars can be replaced. I'm happy to hear you are staying home today - take a nice long hot bath and collect your thoughts. And here's a farmgirl hug from me!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  06:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Hugs to you (((((Cat))))) from Judy - I hope you're feeling well today!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  08:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the kind words. I'm still not completely over feeling shook up, but it's better than yesterday. I'm finding that just typing at the computer theraputic.

Also going through a whirlwind of feelings: stupid, angry, scared, confused. I spent a long time in bed this morning... I'm pretty sure it was a tire blowout. All I remember is a loud bang, and heading toward a concrete barrier and me scared witless. It's one of those low concrete barriers with the indent in the middle to help guide cars back onto the road. So, I hit the barrier with the right front end, the car lurches up and then bang! down onto the pavement, scraps the side of the car, and I'm back on the road. I can't just stop the car as the highway then split 3 ways and I'm there in the middle of 7 lanes! So I probably pissed everyone off behind me as I made my way across three lanes of traffic to the small exit on the far left, pulled off the side and parked. The police arrived a short time later, although it felt like forever!

Taking the day off from work, and waiting to hear back from CAA about the car. And I still have college assignments to do!

-Cat
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Cat,

These things happen and they're awful, but so glad you are alright. Thank God you didn't hit another vehicle or injure yourself badly. So glad you are okay. I got the shakes when I had an accident a few years back. Really weird. Hope the car gets taken care of quickly for you. Try to relax today.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile
so sorry to hear this. glad you are o.k. though.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Not to sound weird but it actually sounds like you are having a "good week". You where in a car accident by the sounds of it on a major road, didn't go through the barrier, didn't get hit by another car, didn't hit another car crossed 7 lanes of traffic with a car that is considered total and it made it. A police man came by to help and you didn't call him, a tow truck came which you didn't call and brought you and your car to saftey. No one killed mammed or hurt. God loves you and said it to you that this was your lucky week to be alive when you could not have been there are alot of possitives in this story. A car is an item that can be replaced a body part or life not so easy to replace. I am very glad you are safe and that is why it is a lucky week.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 06 2006 11:18:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I'd agree with Sunshine. All things considered, you definitely had a Guardian Angel sitting on your shoulder last night. Think of all the things that could have gone wrong in the chain of events. Whew! Maybe it is something in the name - don't all "cats" have nine lives???

Look at it this way: Today is the first day of the rest of your (next) life! What a great opportunity for you to leave all the old garbage behind, and start fresh! Rejoice!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  11:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Cat, It sounds like a terrible experience and I understand why you are so shook up. I know I would probably still be crying but I'm a real baby about things like that. It's a miracle you weren't hurt especially given where the accident happened. I've driven in Toronto and there is no mercy. No one slows down. Do put away the feelings of being stupid. Blowing a tire was totally out of your control and surviving a front tire blow out on a major highway going at top speeds is an accomplishment.

Treat yourself really well now. You deserve it after what you have been through.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh no!
I have only been in one really bad wreck, and it was so traumatizing!
Please take care of yourself. And rest. Sometimes adreneline keeps us from being aware of injuries until later.

I will send happy, peaceful thoughts your way.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I really like Sunshine's way of looking at this one, too. Good week - difficult time. I'm glad that you are taking some time off to look after yourself. Use it to just do what feels most nurturing to you... You certainly could use it, I'll bet!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pretty shook up Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page