Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Spokane County Farmgirls..your opinions please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Spokane County Farmgirls..your opinions please Next Topic  

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  8:57:24 PM  Show Profile
In few years, Hubby and I.. including Abigail & Peabody will be moving from Georgia back to Washington. We are seriously considering the Spokane County area.

If you live or have lived in this county, please share your serious feeling about your town (what is that town?) Why you like it and also what about it that you don't like? Your favorite places to go and eat at, shop at, Groceries, farm stands... things that you do for living here.

I would totally appreciate total forthright views .. good and bad!

See for instant, I love where I live because of my home and property, but this town really stinks as far as any restaurants, shopping, no craft stores nor fabric store... nor decent Vets for my doggies. I would highly recommend against moving here It is a very non thriving town... if you have substantial money and like to travel to other towns for your needs.. then I would say go ahead and move to here.

So, please tell me all the pros and cons.
Also if you have opinions of other towns around you, please share your insights for those too.

Many Many thanks!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile
hey Karrieann
I have a Spokane address but.... I live out between 3 communities, Cheney/Medical Lake and Airway Heights(AH),
well 4 if you count the Fairchild AirForce base.....I usually access everytihing in Airway Heights which for a town w/a Highway going through it, isn't to bad.. I live out in the country and am only 3 miles from the highway and then about another43 miles to A.H.....which has a LOT of eateries from fast food to chinese to BBQ...but if I want higher end fancy dinners i just hope on into Spokane which is about 15 miles from AH....
There is a Walmart at the far end of AH town that has a Market, and in AH there is a 'YOKES' market and they have a pretty decent sized organic food section. If you like to hang out with cowboys or motorcycle riders...check out the Buckhorn Tavern.....lol!
There are 2 very good Vet offices here in town...4 banks, 5 gas stations 1 market(not incl.walmart)every fast food known to man...9 sit down resturants and a post office...not bad got a town of 6000. I think Medical Lake has 4-5000 and Cheney has a pop of 10.000.....
Cheney is about 15miles west of us, a University town and has some fun places to shop & eat. Medical Lake is quaint, but more of a 'sleep' community.
There is a lot of open land around here...we live on 5 acres.....you can do a rudimentary search of our 4 communities on data.com
If you love having sheep. goats, horses, chickens, cows..it's not a bad area.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile
...thank you Grace

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  7:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karrieann

I live in Elk which is about 30 north east of Spokane. This is pretty rural living. The nearest small town is Deer Park which is about 15 miles. It has a Yokes grocery with a decent healthfood section, several fast food places, a couple of restaurants, a bowling alley and a couple of vets (that still do farm calls), 2 hardware stores, 2 feed stores and 2 banks. This area is mixed open and forest. The Deer Park area is mostly open field. Most major shopping or outings we go to Spokane.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann, I live in Deer Park. Sheri was discussing us. I have lived here 40 years. I have seen alot of changes. There used to be many farmlands between Spokane and Deer Park, which is 16 miles north of Spokane. There are many housing districts now between here and there. Many farms are being divided into 5-20 acres. Unemployment is about what it is nationally. I think one has to have a good firm job before moving to any area. Sheri has told you a little bit about our area stores. We have a minor emergency, and several doctors' offices. The hospital was closed by the parent company. I see physicians in Spokane. Hospital care is in Spokane. However, we have good paramedics. We have 3 parks, a golf course (transitioning), a wonderful library and although my kids are long gone from the school system, I hear they are prety good. Three lakes are within 10 miles, probably more. It is beautiful here, and what I like is that we here in Deer Park, have 4 distinct seasons. Even though we can have some stinkers of winters, we can easily go to Spokane if needed.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  5:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karrieann,
I live just south of Spokane county but work in the city of Spokane. Spokane is experiencing a sort of renaissance right now - there are a lot of exciting things going on foodwise, a new co-op opened this year, the farmer's markets are growing, a lot of good restaurants. There are lots of theatre events, one professional theatre and several civic orgazation theatres, lots of good music events - what kind of music do you like? I work at an organic/gourmet food store that has been open for 14 years - I think we do a pretty good job. There is a good independent bookstore as well as a couple of Barnes and Noble's and I think a Border's (I don't make it up north very often). We have several fabric and craft chain stores including JoAnn's, Michael's, Hancock's and Hobby Lobby, as well as a couple of really good local yarn stores and some great quilt shops and independent fabric stores.
I've lived here since 1985 - we moved here when I was 15 - and when I was younger I couldn't wait to leave for a bigger place - now I'm happy with it.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  05:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karrieann,
I am a transplant to Spokane. We moved here 8 years ago for my husband's job. We were given the opportunity to live anywhere west of the Rockies and have our move paid for. So the research began. We considered climate (4 balanced seasons), higher education (4 respected universities and a well-thought of community college system), medical care(Spokane is the tri-state center for medical care including heart, ortho, cancer and trauma), travel ease (our airtport is small enough to be easy to get in and out of. But most trips will necessitate a hop to Seattle or Denver.) and cost of living (Spokane home prices did not undergo the inflated prices that many west coast cities did, therefore we haven't undergone the deflation. But, our housing market is flat right now.)

All in all we are very pleased with our choice. We do wish the job market would open up here a bit, but I don't know other areas that aren't feeling that as well.

Both my husband and I grew up in California, together we moved to Mamaroneck NY, Freehold NJ, Liverpool NY, Burlington WI, Syracuse NY, Napa CA, Warwick NY, Paola KS and then (deep breath) Spokane! So, I have had a few places to compare against.

Good luck to you,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile
and to add to that....look, you will already have built-in MJF girlfriends!
: > )

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Love it Grace... for I am friend-less here.
Ladies, thank you for sharing... keep adding to this thread if y'all think of more
Any "cons"?

I'll be driving by and through in mid-April ...heading to the Tats Days in Spokane Valley area.

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann...so there you go...there are the "TaT Days here too. Honestly...I'm sure there are cons..I'll have to think of them, but I think through each of our responses, you got an idea of what was here. Another thing is FRIENDLY PEOPLE.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  10:43:38 AM  Show Profile
Thrift stores?

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  6:56:15 PM  Show Profile
hahaha! do we have 'em....oh yea
2 goodwills
2 salvation army
2 value villages,
2 teen challenge
and assorted other small local community type 2nd hand stores.
yep, we have lots!
: > )

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  8:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Yeah and a great NW Christian Thrift shop.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Spokane County Farmgirls..your opinions please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page