Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 ANOTHER Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic ANOTHER Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile
I recall we all seemed to really love the initial Food Revolution, set in West Virginia and I just got an update newsletter/email from Jamie's website that the new one is going to be set in urban L.A. They're wrapping up filming, now, so it will probably air early Spring, like the other series did.

On a personal note, I've been cooking from "Cooking with Jamie Oliver" for the last few weeks and I have to say, it's one of the EASIEST and BEST tasting menu's I've prepared. Most dishes have only 6-8 ingredients, seem to have little to no salt and have fundamentally basic principals we can do in the kitchen. Yesterday, I made his beef stew recipe which was chock full of butternut squash, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, beef stock, red wine and onion, and fresh sage leaves. This stew braised in the oven for 4 hours, and upon placing in bowls, you topped with a mixture of fresh, finely chopped garlic, lemon zest and chopped rosemary. The smell was absolutely intoxicating, the taste, even better.

If you can pick up one of his cookbooks for cheap somewhere, buy yourself a gift!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:06:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni for letting us know about this. I'll have to watch for it. I've thought of the one he did in WV and wonder if anyone is still using his advice.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Jonni which cook book do you have? I'd like to take a peek at it. I to have wondered if the show had any lasting effects on the school officials or the kids and their parents. I will watch for the new show too. I really enjoyed the last one. There seems to be quite a push to make school lunches more nutritcious going on right now. But, I do wonder if the kids will will eat the meals? I asked my grandson who is in 7th grade and almost 13. He said if the food is good, yes he would. Like maybe a salad with a chicken breast on it.And veggies that actually taste good instead of the stuff they serve now. He said they get a lot of nice fruit, he likes that. But, alot of the food is not very tasty. Well, I guess thats some insight !! Yes he does like those chicken nuggets too!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni. I love his show on the food network. He has a kitchen in his garden and he goes out and gets everything fresh right then. But can I come live with you? I could be your nanny. Or something. I bet your house always smells so good. That stew sounds really good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the cookbook recommendation Jonni - I'm always looking for easy with minimal ingredients. I missed the first round of the show, hopefully I will remember to set the DVR - silly to miss shows when I have it I know. I usually have to compete with college basketball if I want to watch anything:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Swweeeeet! I loved that show. Thanks for the info Jonni.

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:05:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm having no luck with his site right now or I'd provide a link for you girls.

@Mary Jane: It's called "Cook With Jamie", http://www.jamieoliver.com/books/cook-with-jamie
and the proceeds go to his foundation and "Fifteen" which is a restaurant in London, and now one in Cornwall that provides jobs for young street kids who would otherwise be in jail or the juvenile system. He teaches them the restaurant trade and many of his graduates have gone on to work in London's finest restaurants or open their own. My husband thought the purchase of that book would satisfy two gifts: my desire for one of his cookbooks, and a little philanthropy added for good measure. He knows how I feel about giving back.

It's a good question, whether the kids will eat. With my own finicky-finicky at home, I often feel that given no alternative, they will eat what's in front of them, and I think, too, it's all in how it's presented, which is the key issue with schools. If you go through the line and you can "pick", who WOULD pick green stuff?

@Kris: absolutely you can come live with us. Violet would love it and I'd love to cook for someone who would actually eat!!! My skinny minny husband and picky picky girl are tough on my food ego :) With the glorious stew, I was the only one who ate it because Justin had a stomach virus (but I had to use up my veges so it was now or never) and I relished it--it was SO good and I had only me (and Jamie, of course) to thank :)

@Amy...his newest book is called Jamie Oliver's America and that looks pretty interesting. He spent a great deal of time in the south studying barbecue styles so I'm curious to see what he comes up with.

My other favorite meal that I made from this book that I could seriously eat everyday of the week was this:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/delicious-roasted-white-fish-wrapped-in

It was, seriously, one of the greatest things I've ever eaten that I prepared at home and it took, max, 30 minutes, if that. I made it on a Monday after coming home from work, ate, had the dishes done and sat down by 7:30 or so. Incredible! I highly recommend giving this one a shot.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jan 25 2011 06:07:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:26:02 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited to see this. The first one was amazing!

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:30:29 AM  Show Profile
It really was, Sarah. I'm super excited. I'm sure an inner city school has just as much issue with eating healthily and serving healthy foods as a rural school. Can't wait!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic ANOTHER Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page