Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Cast-iron mailboxes in next MJF issue ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cast-iron mailboxes in next MJF issue ?? Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:39:06 AM  Show Profile
In the most recent MJF issue I read a little preview for the next issue about a cast iron mailbox, and how fun they were.
That made me think about a little cast iron mailbox I see every day during my mailroute! It is a cute pretty small one, real nice to see. But OOHH what a "pest" to deliver mail in nowadays with the often large envelopes lol.

Just thought it would be fun to share, what kinda mailbox do you have??. I myself have a "slit" in the door where my mail is delivered.

I LOVE those American ones you see so often,
They are not here, but have always loved those

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on Jan 24 2011 10:40:12 AM

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Dutchy,
My mailbox is like the one in the picture with the little red flag. Mine is white and many years ago I painted evergreen trees on them. It's been battered around by vandals and the snow plow, but we've beaten out the dents and remounted it. It's on a cedar tree post that my hubby harvested from our place (cedars grow naturally on our property). Cedar branches have shaggy bark and grown in interested twisty shapes. On my deck I have one in same shape and style but much bigger which is a "farm" mailbox that was what we had on the farm. It was mounted with all the other neighbors boxes on a wagon wheel so it turned around for the convenience of the mail carrier. We had to walk to the corner . . about 1/2 mile . . to get the mail when I was a kid. Anyway, I have that mailbox sitting on a bench on my deck now . . just for memories and fun.
Fun memories!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I have just the regular mailbox with the red flag. My sister-in-law has a wonderful cast iron mailbox that sits on a cast iron stand...the box is sqaure and very ornate. I have always loved that type of box.My aunt had a mailbox that was cast iron and was somehow attached to her door and whenever the mail came a bell would ring inside the house! I always thought that was neat too. This has brought back alot of memories.

"We were given: Two hands to hold. Two legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
Source Unknown
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:09:37 PM  Show Profile
boooo-hooooo....I miss my mailbox so much - I finally gave up and switched to a post office box after our mailbox had been smashed several times with what I assume to be a ball bat.....got tired of replacing it - not to mention the $$

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I feel badly that we don't have a mailbox like those listed above. we go to the post office to get our mail. It cost $60/yr. For those who don't have the vandals and have intact mailboxes...I don't thing there is a cost. Some people in our area are rebelling and getting outdoor boxes. We are thinking of doing the same thing. Would not be happy if it were beat in with a bat!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a mailbox that hangs on our house, so it looks kindof like a box with a slanted lid. The lid lifts up and the mail is inside- pretty plain. I can't wait until I have my own house and I can have a fun mailbox!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a huge mail box because I send out packages each day for my farm fiber business. The problem is on the weekends I have a temp mailman who is a very angry man.. Each time he pulls so hard at the lid that he rips the door off. When this first started I tried to talk with him, then his supervisory then the postmaster. I have replaced the door hingest I don't know how many times... All the other mailworks never seem to have a problem - just him. I have been looking to replace the box but I found that I can not find those huge boxes anymore - Anyone have a suggestion???

Oh then there is the snow plow guy who has plowed the whole post and box down and drug it down the road. Five years ago a herd of Elk decided to sharpen their horns on it and battered it up - I ran down the driveway with my shepard's hook scaring them away but not until they also trampled down my phone box too... Mail boxes here have to take a licking and keep on ticking...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

cntybuff
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Beth
Colusa California
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:22:01 PM  Show Profile
mine is just sad and ugly. Maybe we should have a spruce up the mailbox day! LOL I don't even have a red flag on it anymore..:)

Beth
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I have my red flag duck taped in the up position, the door rewired and also duck taped so I understand the Ugly Duckling look.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:23:02 PM  Show Profile
We have one like you have pictured there, except it's black with a red flag. I actually got this mailbox for my birthday. My husband had gotten tired of continually re-mounting the mailbox after the plow knocked it over, so he just had it sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with pea gravel at the bottom of the driveway. After we got a note from the mailman pleading for a new box (and one not in a bucket...) I got the mailbox for my birthday and we moved it back a foot or so from the road. He was very leary about the new mailbox, but it's been about 5 years now and it's still going strong. He had watched the plow take out the previous mailbox at least 3 times, so he had the right to be nervous! :)

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
This is mine at Christmas . . lots of snow. The evergreen trees I painted on it are on the side without the flag so you can't see them.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  01:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Mine is an ugly rubbermaid one. The maillady has hit it like three times in three years. It has been reposted so many times it is now attached to a T post, then electric wire is wrapped around it to attach it to the t-post. No famrgirl here!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Alee, the ones you have are my fave to deliver mail in lol. Easy and wonderful for packages too

Many here have a "slit" in the door like I have, Most have a green Rubbermaid one on a pole or a lovely old fashioned cast iron one. The old fashioned ones are a pain to put mail in but so pretty to see

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cast-iron mailboxes in next MJF issue ?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page