Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 In love... with a hot water bottle.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic In love... with a hot water bottle. Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have never used a hot water bottle before. I always kind of shrugged at the idea and they aren't usually on the shelves at the local department store for random buying.

But this winter has been so cold. I rarely get warm until I shiver myself warm under my covers and often pull them over my head to get warm.

So last night I took a heavy duty plastic bottle from a left over juice drink and filled it with out hotter than hades water from the tap. I then put it between my two Miss Wilma feather pillows while I got ready for bed. When I crawled into bed I just moved it around until my whole section of the bed was nice and toasty. I even played a trick on my husband since he didn't know I had it. I got my hands really hot and told him to feel them because I didn't feel well. He thought I had a fever until he felt my forehead and I was laughing so hard. LOL!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea, Alee. I bet it was nice and warm. I have some of her pillows too. And 2 down comfortors. That's how cold it is here. But it's always the feet that take so long to get warm. I may have to try that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  10:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I use the heating pad before I go to bed. Our room doesn't have any heat so it can get really cold back there. So it is so nice to crawl in bed and have it warm! It turns itself off after a few minutes so I don't have to worry so much about it over heating.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  10:46:39 PM  Show Profile
When I was litle, I would get leg aches. They would wake me up at night. Mom would get the hot water bottle.....I wonder where that is now.....run the tap and fill it, and bring it to me. I would put it on my leg, and drift off to sleep in seconds. It would stay warm for a long time! Nowadays I use a heating pad for that purpose, but it is not quite the same. Maybe becauase mom does not bring it to me with a look of love.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile
We started using a hot water bottle when we would tent camp in Colorado. It kept my feet nice and warm. I kept that thing so long it finally dry rotted. I think I will look for another one. I do remember the one we had was heavy duty and stayed warm most of the night.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  08:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am actually surprised at how long my little juice bottle has stayed warm. It's only about 12-15 ounces. I filled it up again last night and about 3 am this morning the dog woke me up to let her outside. It was still warm though not very much- probably just stayed warm from my body heat- but by the time I got back to bed, my side of the bed had cooled and I was chilled (we only have 1 source of heat in the whole house so our room, the laundry room, bathroom and back door area are very cold) so it was perfect to cuddle it again and I was warm very quickly. I am seriously going to have to find a real hot water bottle now. I am convinced!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:48:18 AM  Show Profile
I use rice filled pillows for the same purpose. They hold heat like you wouldn't believe! I make them by making a small kind of pillowcase, fill them with dry rice, then sew the end together. It gets warm in the microwave in about a minute. Then you can use them to warm up the bed, soothe achy joints, etc.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I do the same thing. I have a hot water bottle...and have used it in bed for my feet. This Christmas, my daughter made a rice "heater" for my 92 yr old Mom. Since a major aortic surgery, the feeling in her legs & feet are not too good. She sometimes cannot tell how hot her hot water bottle is, so we tested the one Nikki made with Mom's microwave, & she knows just exactly how long to "cook" it so she won't burn herself. I revamped hers by just putting 2-3 cups of rice, some broken up cinnamon sticks & lavender flowers in a tube sock. I tied the end, so I could pour it out if needed. I covered it with the other sock. With my microwave...I heat it up for about 1-1/2 - 2 minutes. It is just fine and smells good too. I love to put it up around my neck or on a shoulder that gives me fits!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  6:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I just bought two hot water bottles this year. I was in Walmart and couldn't find them. I asked a young "Walmart associate" and she didn't know what I was talking about. LOL They were in the pharmacy area. Less than $5.00 each. I made envelope type covers out of fleece. Each night before we go to bed, we fill them with hot water. They work great on our feet and are still warm in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

FG-Terri
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Theresa
Newport News VA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Love the idea about a "rice warmer" since I'm allergic to the rubber the water bottle is made out of. Is there a pattern/directions to make one or whatever size/shape you need?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Theresa- To make a rice bag you can make it any size or shape you need. One thing to keep in mind is that you will be putting it in the microwave, so no synthetic materials. It needs to be like 100% cotton. Also don't leave the microwave unattended while heating. Even though I have overcooked mine before and haven't ever had a problem- there is the smallest possibility of starting a fire.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

FG-Terri
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Theresa
Newport News VA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  02:38:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
Thanks so much for the directions!
Terri
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  05:22:04 AM  Show Profile
I sometimes warm my rice warmer in the oven if I have it on too, which is often. :)

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  07:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that is so funny that you write about using juice bottles as your hot water bottle. As I have just unpacked a vintage red hot water bottle, it is a KantLeek and does not leak. Cute Valentine gift for hubby, you can cover it in some nice warm red fleecy or flannel with a red bow! It is yours if you would like to have it.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile
I just saw the cutest knitting pattern for a water bottle, too. Had a cable knit on it. I want to say it was on Martha or something. Anyway, lol. I am thinking about getting one! They sound great.

We had an 'ice pack'. Did anyone else have one of those? The screw on lid with the accordion-looking bag?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

urbangirl11
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Erin
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:17:05 PM  Show Profile
SusanScarlet - I am so glad you mentioned that you found an inexpensive water bottle at Walmart. I have been casually looking for one, but they are always expensive ($15-$20). I know that overall it's not that much and I would get my money's worth, but I've never felt like spending that much money on it. It just seemed silly.

Alee - do you find that the rice gives off some moisture in the beginning? I made one last minute last year and I found that mine felt a bit damp, but I wasn't sure if it was the rice I used or if that was normal.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin- Most definitely. I think the rice absorbs to a certain degree the ambiant moisture level and when you get it that hot it steams a little. In fact I have always found my rice packs to have a slight damp feeling- not too bad but a bit.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic In love... with a hot water bottle. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page