Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 exercise ideas for bad joints
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic exercise ideas for bad joints Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  03:58:01 AM  Show Profile
i have a bad left knee, probably a re-torn meniscus, I've have gained a little holiday weight I'd like to lose but all the weight loss exercises I can't do because of the knee. I know a little yoga and some exercises from physical therapy but does anyone have any suggestions for working off weight without walking, aerobics, jogging etc. ?

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  05:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
My mom told me that "back in the day" (after my sister and I were born), she lost the baby weight by doing an exercise routine every morning that consisted mostly of stretching exercises. Believe it or not it worked.

Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, I have found Aqua Fitness classes to be very, very helpful. The water supports you in ways that you are not supported on land. That's why you see so many people taking Aqua Fitness classes in the communities now that are recovering from injuries and have problems with joints. It's so much easier and less stress on those joints when you are in the water. Take just walking across the pool and the water is your companion. There are many wonderful books that specifically give you ideas and recommendations for your aqua fitness. You are doing the same things that you do on land but everything is much easier and less stressful on those joints. In other words, you can do things in the water that you can't on land. Because you are working out, this is helping your body at the same time to burn the fat and tone at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  3:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Can you do the elliptical or sationary bike? I used to work in Sports Medicine and we had our knee patients do these to keep up their cardio. I also agree witht he above suggestion of water classes. Water aerobics or swimming are great!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  05:48:45 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the suggestions, I have started doing the therapy exercises and some yoga stretches that don't put too much strain on the knee. I was thinking of taking advantage of the gym facility at the college where I am taking classes to use the stationary bike, I feel kinds wierd being a middle age student and not some 18 yr old, but it is free and right there on campus. guess I should be brave and just walk in, right
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Too funny! I am in the same boat right now! Luckily I go to a school that is all women, so it is a little less intimidating.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

AmericanHwyFlower
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

A.R.
Yorba Linda CA
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  10:12:19 PM  Show Profile
water workouts are great for those of us with joint pain or arthritis or fibro.

Cherish Each Day
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile
you too Elizabeth ? just a tad intimidating, maybe I will find a time when they are all in class or too tired to work out :)
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:57:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pnickols

you too Elizabeth ? just a tad intimidating, maybe I will find a time when they are all in class or too tired to work out :)

Or at the bars LOL
I will also recommend any water exercise for sore or poor joints. You can actually get a better workout for your muscles, while protecting those joints.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile
What I love sooo much about the water therapy and exercises is that I can do things in the water that I can't do as easily at all on land. The water is truly one's best friend for exercising.

Here's the name of a book that I like and think would be enjoyed by our Farmgirl Sisters here as well....

Water Exercise by Martha White 78 safe and effective exercises for fitness and therapy

This is a super book and a very helpful one as well as to a variety of exercises and how you can plan your own regime in the pool.

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
thank syou and I am going to check out the book
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic exercise ideas for bad joints Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page