Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Celiac Disease-Gluten Free Lifestyle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Celiac Disease-Gluten Free Lifestyle Next Topic  

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals

I was just diagnosed with Celiac disease & must begin a gluten free diet. Just wondering if anyone else here has this issue?

Thanks!
Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile
laura, you will be pleased to find you are not alone here. there are several farmgirls with this. there are some posts in farm kitchen about recipes. i think MJF has even written recipes in her mag. so happy days for you. i know the life change will be difficult at first. you will feel better and be healthier through the years now that you know. someone will post soon on here i am sure. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  09:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Laura,

Let me tell you up front that the first few weeks will be hard. That said, you can handle it. I discovered a gluten intolerance around April. The hardest part is deciding if you want to continue eating as you have been or if you will eat for your new lifestyle. There are gluten free breads and cereals and crackers. I found that route very hard and confusing and much of the food not very tasty, not to mention expensive. I took the approach of needing to change for me, so I focused on eating meat, veggies, and the few grains I could. No breads, crackers etc. I have included some since and there are some good tasting gluten free items.

Since I have found an almond flour cookbook and almond meal at the health food store for under $4/lb, Like all things gluten free, it can be expensive (I've seen it nearly $10/lb).

My recommendation -- plan a few meals. Carry nuts and dried fruit with you. Eating out is tough in the beginning. There are a lot of good websites that can help you learn about doing all of this. Corn tortillas can be your friend.

Best of luck and know you are not alone.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

alpacagirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nita
Muskogee Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
I too am gluten intollerant. 1 in 133 people today are gluten intollerant and most do not know it. They just suffer from symptoms like IBS, joint pain, indigestion, etc. I have been off gluten for two years this month and am so glad. I would not go back to eating gluten even if I could. I have found many wonderful alternatives to wheat and when I eat out the restaurant people are so helpful. I would be glad to offer any suggetions and forward to you any help or names of cookbooks, etc that you would like.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Celiac Disease-Gluten Free Lifestyle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page