knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile
What are your thoughts. Our daughter is 6months old thinking it's ok to occasionally give her whole milk. In the past it was deemed ok, now I'm reading things to the contrary.

When I was a baby my mom was told it was fine for me to be on whole milk when I was six months old (this was 1972).

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Nowadays, it it thought best to avoid cow's milk in the first year.
The modern thought is that high allergy foods, such as eggs, soy, dairy, citrus, wheat- should be avoided in the first year of life, or longer.
There is so much debate about what to feed when.
My parents had me on eggs and dairy at 6 months, and now I'm wildly allergic to them.
Humans do not have the enzymes needed to digest cow's milk at early stages of development, 6 months. Some would say that only calves are meant to drink cow's milk- but thats not really my point!
Good luck as your daughter begins to eat new foods!

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:41:29 PM  Show Profile
I was nursing and lost my milk when my son was 10 months old (being pregnant again), and at that point my doctor told us to give him whole cow's milk. She in fact told us to put Carnation Instant Breakfast in it... he still at almost-age-5 won't drink milk without that extra sugar (which stinks!).

From what I've read, even grownups should drink whole milk over reduced fat... our bodies can't digest it if it doesn't have enough fat in it! Kinda contrary to what I'd heard before, but, they're always coming out with new thinking.

I would think that whole milk would be safer than formula, with all the formula scares lately... what are you considering as an alternative to the whole milk?

~TJ of Green Willow Place

www.MyWesternHome.wordpress.com

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:52:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm nursing, and pumping while at work. But Im not able to pump enough (trying to fix that). She does not like formula (I've tried a few) so this would just be as a top up for one feeding. She is also starting solids so what I am expressing may end up being enough.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
AnneMarie- Nora started sampling other foods at about 6 months as well and we gave her whole milk then. She did fine with it but what I would do is start slow. And maybe mix it with breast milk so she is getting some of the enymes and such from you and then the taste won't be as different either.

I bet you are doing a great job! As long as she doesn't get gassy or act like she is in pain after drinking cows milk then she should be able to process it fine.

I used to be allergic to milk/dairy and several other food groups but outgrew my allergy as I got older. Our bodies are all very different and can respond in new and interesting ways. I would just keep a close eye on your baby and see how she behaves with the new food. You could also try something like a vanilla soy milk. Nora liked that too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
We didn't offer whole milk until Violet was 12 months old. That was just based on our doctor's advice. We did, however, start with a whole milk baby yogurt at 6 months, in addition to her baby purees and formula and she did fabulously.

I probably wouldn't, but that's just me.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:52:03 AM  Show Profile
AnneMarie, when our son was an infant, he was really, really sick and couldn't keep anything down or in for quite a while. My ability to breast feed came to a sudden halt - the doctor said it was probably due to stress - and I was at a loss. Formula wasn't doing it for him at all. My doctor advised that whole milk was bad for babies because of the high sodium and high fat contents in the cow's milk, and that it was just too harsh on a little baby's digestive system. I wanted to cry. My aunt, the great old farmlady that she is, immediately suggested I try goat's milk, which she believed was much better on a baby's stomach as it is closer in nature to a human mother's milk. I honestly don't know if that's true, but she's always been on the money when I've had questions like that. You might want to look into it as an option. Anyhow, I wasn't able to find goat's milk here (or didn't know anyone at the time who had goats), so I did start him on whole milk. At first I started with a watered down version, but within a short period of time, he was drinking it whole-heartedly, full-strength, and he started to thrive! Although I would never recommend going against your doctor's recommendations, I well remember all those questions and concerns as a new mother, and really hope you can benefit from what I learned in some way.

One of my aunts-in-law once told me you could never love a baby too much, and Mom's have amazingly trustworthy instincts. I think that really sums it all up in a nutshell. :)

Good luck with your decision - I'm sure you'll make the one that's best for your baby! :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I put my daughter on whole milk at 10 months. I was doing organic yogurt and cottage cheese before that.

Solid food is much more important that milk after six months. You will have to talk to your doctor and start slow if the doctor tells you that it is ok.

There is a formula that is meant for the transition time. It isn't baby formula.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  2:54:17 PM  Show Profile
Another thing to try might be to talk with a reputable natural foods store, there might be an herbal "assistance" to producing more milk?? I know that when my daugher cold-turkey quit her mama at one year old, I had to take something FAST to get my milk to stop, and there are herbs for that, thank the Good Lord!!

I dunno - but maybe??

Whatever you decide, you sound like a great mama who is tuned into her baby and looking for her best - you'll make the right decisions!!!

~TJ of Green Willow Place

www.MyWesternHome.wordpress.com

"We make a living by what we get, but we build a life by what we give." ~Thomas S. Monson
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:31:00 AM  Show Profile
She's taking a bottle of formula for one feeding when her supply of bottled breastmilk runs out. The Fennel tea has kicked in so all is well and I'm able to pump more. Thanks for your input :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Anne! The Fennel tea helps a lot.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
I think 6 months is a little young for cow's milk. I understand the theory that introducing cow's milk too young can cause an allergy. But if I remember correctly it can also cause bleeding in the intestines. Do your research on this as I am not 100 percent positive. Good sources are The American Academy of Pediatrics' or Doctor Sear's websites.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that a google search should yield you a chart on the ideal ages for introducing certain foods. She is probably old enough for cultured milk products like yogurt.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Also, Fenugreek is great for milk production, you can also eat oatmeal and that will help as well. I tried fenugreek but wasn't taking enough. From what I read, you know you are taking enough when the baby's diapers smell like maple syrup!!??!!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  06:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Our pediatrician told us to wait until one year to give whole milk. However, I think milk products such as yogurt would be fine at this point. I wouldn't be worried about a dairy allergy so much though, I think it's mainly because breast milk and formula have a higher level of certain vitamins that babies need that aren't found in whole milk. If she needs to take some formula, have you tried a sensitive one? I'm a neonatal nurse and a lot of our babies that shun regular formula love the Sensitive (Similac, in particular). It's lactose free so it's not as hard on their tummies. :) I can't imagine it tastes different, but they seem to think so! If you have any breastfeeding questions, I may can be of help. I have lots of experience helping moms. :)

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  7:57:47 PM  Show Profile
the fat in goat's milk is supposed to be easier for babies to digest

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile
My first born, I couldn't produce enough milk so I had to do formula. I started weaning her to whole milk at 10 months. I mean very slowly. Although by the time she was 11.5 months she was on complete whole milk, no more formula. Then a friend of mine opened a natural foods/bulk store and I can get organic milk in glass jars and that is what my whole family drinks save for my 7 month old. He is on organic formula since he went on nursing strike after his 1st tooth at 4 months. So sad I loved nursing but once he started teething it was futile! I couldn't get enough from pumping to keep it up either.

If I had a goat I would try giving him that, but for now he is on Earth's Best Organic formula. It's a little more expensive than Similac (what I had to give my daughter since no one sold Organic formula around here at the time) but to me, its worth it! When he gets to be 10 months I will start giving him little bits of whole cows milk to see how he does on that and of course depending on how he responds would like him weaned off formula as well. It all depends on the baby, I don't want to rush mine, I will encourage them, but not rush. Do what you think is best! Parents know how to take care of their own kids better than anyone else can :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like your problems are fixed, but incase someone else is wanting info...I was a goats milk baby. I was teeny-tiny when I went home and lost weight after going home. The doctor told my Mom she was just being over protective. She new better and put me on goat's milk. I started gaining weight, never have and still have no dairy allergies and I'm doing just fine (maybe a little too fine. Ha!).

Their are studies out the wha-zoo anymore. I believe it's all about personal preference and momma knows best.
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  04:33:37 AM  Show Profile
I know they say formula or mothers milk but my kids couldn't tolerate formula well so by 6 weeks, yes 6 weeks on milk. Back then I was told 2% was fine as they didn't need that much fat but at least the amount of 2. I did use whole until a few months old though.

Funny none of us had allergies to food and now all of a sudden, mmmmm wonder if it is all the junk in the food????

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  8:12:52 PM  Show Profile
I was talking to another friend of mine and she reminded me that whatever mama eats, baby gets it too. Sure, it might be a slightly different form, but I know someone who had to quit eating dairy completely so her baby didn't get colic. While I was still nursing my 1st, I couldn't eat tomato's. She got the worst diaper rash after I ate them! I know some people who had their babies on cereal as soon as they got home from the hospital! I still think its a whole mama knows best for her kids thing though. All the research they do is on conventional foods. I had a doctor tell me goats milk is bad for kids and they should be on soy formula instead. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for me and my house, we go organic if we can't grow it ourselves! :)

Rae: I think it's the junk they have in our food too! Organic whole milk is what I get since I don't have my own cow and my doeling was too small to be bred this past fall. The difference between Organic whole milk, fresh organic homegrown milk, and store bought milk have different qualities, which I'm sure you already know :) Just the difference between organic and non organic milk is crazy! I didn't know a difference going from conventional to organic but when I tasted some conventional milk the other day it was like water!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:27:47 PM  Show Profile
One of my closest friends has had to switch to soy milk-their daughter (Almost a year) just developed an allergy to dairy. :(

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic whole milk for babies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page