Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Transition into Skilled living facility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Transition into Skilled living facility Next Topic  

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  08:00:20 AM  Show Profile
My MIL was recently hospitalized, and it looks like she will need to go to a Skilled Nursing Facility for a few weeks to gain some strenght and just get stronger. She is suddenly feeling well enough to want to fight this tooth and nail. I was looking for some advice to help make this transition smoother for her. Any suggestions or advice will be welcome. As always, you ladies are awesome and I appreicate any suggestions, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  01:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Carol, any family photos, pics of things she enjoys, etc. Surrounding her with some of what she loves and is familiar will help. Visit, call, and send cards and notes will help her to know her family is there and in her corner. Thinking and praying for your family. Blessings, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  02:45:16 AM  Show Profile
I think if you can let her have as much power as possible in choosing where she goes she may be less afraid. It would be frightening to feel so helpless and to think you have no say in where you will spend so many days/nights.

Prayers sent your way for an easy time of it.

best wishes,
marianne
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Family and friends visiting often. My mother had to stay in a nursing home to recover from a surgery and she hated it. If there is a TV, see if you can bring a DVD player and family movies. Also, for my Mom, it was important to her that we do your laundry for her, and not the nursing home. We did just that. If I have any other ideas, I'll post them. I know she didn't have a lot of room for much in her room. We took poster putty and put up pictures my kids created by hand.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:07:16 AM  Show Profile
all good ideas here. i think the lack of personal space and independents it would be hard to handle. so like marianne said. let her have some say. if shes not in yet then take pics of the place. she can see where shes going. personal stuff matters to me. i would want my own stuff washed by family too. just some support sent your way from here. happy days sherye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
I am going to se her today, she is only anout 10 minutes away. She did not get there until almost 8 pm, and was exhausted. These are all very good ideas, and I think once I see the place I'll be able to get an idea of what to bring. She has a favorite comforter and pj's. Thank you ladies

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2010 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Carol,
How is your MIL doing? It is a tough time of year to make such a move. Hope you are doing OK.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2010 :  7:00:46 PM  Show Profile
I have been thinking of you and praying that this change will go well. It is very difficult, I know, But know in your heart that this is the best for her. Maybe try some small puzzles, she could pass some time that way. We are here for you. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

LucyMae
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Lisa
Jasper Al
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I am guessing her biggest fear is you will take her there and leave her there. Maybe assure her she will not be left, that you are doing this in order to help her regain her strength and come home. This can be heartbreaking for the family, but put yourself in her shoes. I am guessing fear is her biggest issue. Try to reassure her that she will come home very soon, but you want her to be in the best of care until that can happen.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  5:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Sorry it took so long to get back. She seems to be ok, she likes the attention she is geting there and it is a nice facility. She thinks she is there for two weeks but her nurse today told us to plan of five weeks. She came over for a few hours for Christmas but it wore her out. Thank you for the prayers and kind thoughts, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Carol, how is your MIL doing? Hope she has adjusted alright. Take care ok? Know you have your hands full.

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  5:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for asking, she came home a few days ago to her apartment. I have some concerns, and not sure if coming home alone is the right thing, it may be too soon. She really liked where she was. It's harder now that she is home because I know she won't take her meds, etc. We'll just have to wait and see. You all take care, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  08:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Keeping good thoughts for you, Carol. Thanks for the update!

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Carol,

Your story sounds like my future very soon . . . I am glad you MIL is in better health, but I know how worrisome it is to have them on their own. You are in my prayers, as is she.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Havng her home has been tough, she has made some medicine mistakes and is not keeping up with day to day chores. I guess we have to wait for an accident or some kind of episode to see what the next step is. Thankyou guys for your good thoughts and concerns, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Carole...Your MIL is blessed to have you!! Keep us updated, ok? Best to you!!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  04:26:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry. My grandparents are both needing full-time care to make sure they're keeping all their meds. My aunt has a daily schedule laid out for them, along with places for them to check off when they've done stuff, down to like 20 minute increments. She makes sure that they write down their blood pressure numbers, what they've eaten, what they can/can't have, what exercises they've done, complete with pictures of how to do them, etc. etc.

Honestly, it seems to make my grandparents crazy, and they feel powerless and like they are being taken care of like children. Where you draw that line is probably very important, and my aunt has probably crossed it, but, maybe a schedule where she checks off when she takes her meds would be a good start?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:41:37 AM  Show Profile
I agree with megan.
There is a line. I recently went to my MIL and said [with my hubby], "hey we see you not showering daily, forgeting chores and so on". "We think you need a check off list or a daily routine/schedule". "So we thought you could sit down and wirte on up or we can". We gave her th option and she chose to do it. She has been doing it all alone for 6 days. She seems content with it. I think giving her a choice really helped her to do it on her own.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Well the past few days she has been back to gossiping about her neighbors and how things should be done- her way! So she sounds like normal. I have noticed that she isn't keeping her apartment as neat but will not let us help either. I am taking her to the doctor Friday and we will srr what he says.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:46:02 AM  Show Profile
I had to laugh at the -"back to gossiping about her neighbors and how things should be done- her way!"! That is so funny!
Good luck at the Dr's. I will pray for her, her drs' and your family to know what to do.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Carol,
I am with Angie. Being interested in how everyone else is messing things up is a very good sign.

Best of luck Friday,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  1:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Caarol, hope that things are going ok. The caregiving role is a challenging one. There is a caregivers chat post over on the health section of the forums. Helpful advice over there too. Take care and keep us posted.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Transition into Skilled living facility Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page