Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Looking for farmgirls with a diabetic child for...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for farmgirls with a diabetic child for... Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  10:31:27 PM  Show Profile
me! I need to meet like minded mammas with little ones that have diabetes.

Our 4yr old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 1 1/2 years. We are taking the next step which is getting her on the insulin pump.

We are doing the saline trial now and it is going great! We will be starting her insulin pump in a couple weeks.
If anyone has a child on a pump I need some ideas about how your kids wears it? We were given 2 accessories, one is a belly belt with pockets and one is like a cell phone case that she wears on a little belt around her waist.

I am having issues with the tubing.
Today she is wearing a dress, we'd like to have the pump on top of her clothes but with the dress I don't know what to do with the tube. So she is wearing it under her dress.

She sleeps with her pump in the belly belt.

Any moms on here that make pump accessories?
Please write!
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a little one but would be happy to help you design something to work. Is the tube always connected to the pump or do you take it on and off?

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi~ Thanks for the note.
The tube is connected to her at all times. Unless she is bathing or getting a new infusion site.

I am asking someone that has done some alterations for me in the past to make me one of each at this point, we'll need something to use when she gets her insulin pump in the next few weeks. I am at her disposal in a way b/c I can't afford to spend money on these things off the internet. I was told they both cost around $24.99.
She's working on them now, freehand. She saw them once and took measurements and pictures.
We'll see what she comes up with and what she charges.

This one is a little pouch and the belt part comes completely out. It's a bit firm, I think they used something inside it like what is in the collars of mens shirts.
You can see the tubing comes out the pump and then it's 23" and ends up on her lower back. Right now we just wind it around the pump and tuck it into the pouch but after an hour or so, or a bathroom break, the tube is loose and it did get pulled right out of her body one time when she pulled her undies back up.

This is just a band of something like spandex or swimsuit fabric, folded in half with (3) 6 inch long pockets that close with velcro. Nothing fancy at all. Velco to tighten it around her waist too. In her sleep it turns a lot and the tube would be wrapped around her body in the morning.

I just don't know what to do with the tubing. She's 4.

Thanks again. I welcome any suggestions and ideas.
Also the infusion site is about 1" wide. I can disconnect the tube easily to slip though a hole cut into clothes/pants/pockets. That thought crossed my mind when she wanted to wear a dress.
I just want to keep her as ordinary as possible considering the tubes and all! Also when she's in kindergarten next year people will have to get to her pump and I was wondering about that, it should be on the outside of her clothes for sure.
Thanks for listening!

Stephanie & Zoey

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:41:45 AM  Show Profile
If you can disconnect it to get her dressed, then would putting buttons holes through her dresses work? Or a buttoned flap?

What about a vest style sleeper? Just thinking out loud. If it tied on or velcro'ed on something similar to the top part of an apron with a pocket for the pump. It would be less likely to spin around on her at night.

Where does the tube actually attach into her tummy? Side? Front? Belly button area? Does that spot need extra protection?

I am going to do some researching, planning and thinking. Always up for a challenge. =)

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile
http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingforbabychildren/ss/kidsfannypack.htm

http://www.angelbearpumpstuff.com/site/product.cfm?id=74D33559-3EAB-49A5-BD95A85E6303D6DA

LOok at these two links and see if there's something you'd like to try. Then let me know and I can see about working something up for you.

Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  1:08:13 PM  Show Profile
She will have the IV type thing...it's called an infusion set and I don't know how to describe it....attached either on her very lower back or on her tummy. It's not the buns, right above so she doesn't sit on it.
Then once she is older and has some more fat areas it can be worn in more places. I know some will put it on the back of their legs and back of the upper arm.
Let me get a picture and measure it out.

Thanks! S & Z

Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  9:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of the infusion set. It's like a bandaid really. The blue part disconnects from the little bandaid part. The blue part is flat and exactly 3/4 ".

Sorry this took so long to get to you.
I will check back in here tomorrow.

Nite,
Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

sbaxter1384
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

susan
lakeland florida
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sbaxter1384 a Yahoo! Message
i just seen your post my grandson has a the pump you could talk to my daughter about it her name is brandy duncan she has a face book aurbandale fl. also my grandson bryce duncon has a sight for bryces buddies on face book can help you out a lot. my oldest daughter is 40 and is a diebetic she has c.p. and all brights sydrom. brandy never got it but my grandson did it is sad i have took caere of this since she was 11 .and still doing it she takes shots no pump. but my daughter says it is great. but get a hold of her she will help you in any way she can . just tell her , her mother talk to you on maryjanes farms. take care susan baxter i also have a facebook lakeland florida

country girl
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for farmgirls with a diabetic child for... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page