Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Whooping Cough Next Topic  

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  7:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls ~ I know you do not know me. I joined the forum in July and haven't been back on line with you ladies since then. You see I was suffering from what was thought to be a lung infection. I became very sick about a week after joining here. It turned out to be whooping cough. While whooping cough is not normally life threatening to adults it can be if you have any type of lung problems. For me it was asthma. After 6 months of fighting the illness i ended up in the hospital and almost died from lung and heart failure. I just came home last week and can still not walk through my hallway without loosing my breath.

I am telling you this because it could have been prevented had I known that adults need a secondary whooping cough vaccine. Until the recent outbreaks in CA everyone thought the one shot in our childhood took care of it. It doesn't. If you are any of your family members have lung conditions PLEASE do not take this lightly. Consider requesting the Protussin vaccine. It may save a life.

On a lighter note ~ I look forward to getting to know each of you better as I am able to be more active on this site. Blessings....

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Tammy, I had no idea. That sure is scary. I'm glad you're ok. And I hope you continue to improve as the days go by.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
howdy tammy, so glad you are getting better now. look forward to your posts. welcome to MJF a fine place to be. so glad your better now. thanks for the info. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Tammy! Thank you for sharing that. I am so glad you are feeling better now. I thought I had whooping cough last winter and had to be on some mega doses of antibiotics, but they never tested me to be sure. I felt like I was going to break a rib coughing sometimes! I can't imagine that with asthma!

Please take care of yourself and go slow in getting back into the swing of things. Do you have a resistance to it now, or is it one of the ones that makes you more vulnerable?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Whooping Cough Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page