woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile
I found out this week that I have pneumonia. It is strange because I haven't had a cough, just extreme chest pain. Does anybody have some good home remedies to make me feel better?

Farmgirl #1947

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  2:42:44 PM  Show Profile
I hope you feel better, Elizabeth! My dad was just admitted into the hospital today with pneumonia. He said they have started him on all sorts of medications he's never heard of before. He has a lot of other health issues to contend with, as well, though. Just be careful, because I know it can be bad. I don't know any good home remedies, but I'll gladly say some prayers for you to get well soon! Take care - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
I've had pneumonia twice and it really wiped me out. I had an awful cough each time too. Really baby yourself, get lots of rest and be sure to take whatever the doctor prescribed. You don't want to wind up in the hospital!

Nini, I hope your father will have a speedy recovery. He's in my prayers as well as Elizabeth.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cari Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Cari
Rixeyville Virginia
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Wool girl...please, being an EMT I can tell you, if you have pneumonia, go to a doctor and get antibiotics and let him treat you, it is nothing to fool with or try to treat yourself. I have seen it really take someone by surprise and drop them to their knees before they even realize just how bad it really is. Go in and get x-rays of your lungs as well! I hope for the best for you.

" Promise me you'll always remember: Your braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." By Christopher Robins to Pooh

www.goinggreyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  05:32:33 AM  Show Profile
I really didn't think it was too much of anything the other day. I just didn't want to get my daughter sick. So I went to the Urgent Care here (I am out of state visiting my family). The doctor there sent me to the hospital because they thought it was a pulmonary embolism, but that is where they determined it was pneumonia. I am on my fourth day of antibiotics now, and am finally today feeling a smidge better. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers ladies!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile
I am glad to see you are feeling better, Elizabeth. Take care of yourself and rest.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  07:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Floyd gets pneumonia every year in his left lung-already had it once. Of course he has smoked since he was a child. He wants to quit but can't seem to drag the power up. It makes him weak and tired a lot of the time.
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  3:27:17 PM  Show Profile
When I had pneumonia in college I did not cough either until the medicine started to break up the gunk. Get plenty of rest and lots of warm liquids. Cover your mouth and chest if you have to go out in the cold.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  7:13:05 PM  Show Profile
You do need antibiotics. Thyme tea is wonderful. In Germany they prescripe it for coughs! Many of our over the counter cough syrups contain thymanol to suppress coughing. Take 1 tablespoon of fresh Thyme (chopped) and place in one cup of HOT water. Let steep for 5 min. Add honey & lemon to taste. Also licorice root tea help coat the throat. LOTS of fluids & rest. Hope you are feeling better

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pneumonia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page