sewingwoman
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Giovonnia
Astoria New York
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  6:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever read any of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilter's series?

They are great reads. She also has two books quilting project books based on the quilts in her novels. They are put out by C&T publishing.

The thing I love most about her books is the emotional way I bond with the characters. They feel like people I know. She also gives you alot of historical data about quilts and their importance during the anti-slavery movement in early America.

If you are loooking for nice reads for the next coming months check them out.

Giovonnia
FarmGirl in Training

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile
I have read them all and wish there were more..I LOVE them!! I don't have the project books yet but plan to order them when I get more$$$$$

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  06:19:23 AM  Show Profile
I just picked up two of her books last night at Barnes and Noble and then lo and behold- here is this thread!! Treated myself to a little birthday treasure! I can't wait to start reading them, but I have to speak tonight and need to finish up my talk first!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls! I'm new to MJS site, but love everything about it! I am a longarm quilter, and of course wanted to check this out! I have always enjoyed, read over and over, give as gifts - are Janette Oke books. She has several series, about pioneer women! Not quilting, but I can tell you it's worth the reading! I do have several of Jennifer's books, just haven't had time to get into them! Quilting always comes first! Anyway, enjoy, reading, piecing, quilting or whatever makes YOU happy!

gloria g.
Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to suggest a few books I love that are perfect for summer reads. They're not quilt books, but I think you'll enjoy them.

Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series is wonderful. It takes place in Africa and you can smell the plants, taste the tea, feel the gravel crunch under your feet. His heroine, Precious, is just that - a lovely lady of "traditional" build full of compassion, common sense, and good humor. You won't be able to put these books down.

For mystery fans, of which I am one, there are several I like - the Joe Grey mysteries by Shirley Rousseau Murphy is about Joe, a grey and white tomcat, Dulcie, his tabby lady love, and Kit, a tortie kitten they adopt. These cats are descendants of celtic sentient cats and can talk, read, reason, and solve mysteries. Murphy really knows her cats and her human characters are terrific, too. You'll consider them friends after one book. There are 11 with two more in the works.

Daniel Klein has written three or four mysteries with Elvis as the amateur sleuth and these books are great, not only for Elvis fans but for everyone who loves a good mystery. The King is beautifully represented here - as the compassionate, respectful, brilliant man he was.

For those who love old Hollywood, the very prolific Stuart Kaminsky has written a series with a semi-hardboiled PI called Toby Peters. These books take place in the 30s and 40s. Peters' clients are big stars (Fred Astaire, Bette Davis, Salvatore Dali, Cary Grant, etc.) and his cronies are such a colorful group that they also become old pals.

And by the way, you can buy these books very inexpensively (I get them for as little as 75 cents!) at Amazon.com and Half. com. Or, get them from your library.

Happy Summer Reading!

Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!

Edited by - Utahfarmgirl on Jun 27 2006 08:54:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Quilt Reads for the Summer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page