CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  5:39:59 PM  Show Profile
if you HAD to choose just ONE all-time favorite AUTHOR .. who would it be and why?

my choice would be Janice Holt Giles .. i adore her writing style, her stories .. about early pioneer life .. mostlyl in Kentucky.

who is your FAVORITE .. and why?

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Great topic! Just be careful! Some online banks and computer systems are now asking for a number of security questions to reset passwords - and often "who is your favorite author" is often one of the questions...

I am particularly sensitive to this since my identity was stolen back in November. If you use the security question for some of your accounts, you probably don't want to post the same author's name on a public web site that can be associated with your email address.

By the way one of my favorite authors is Helga Sandburg.. I read a few of her books when I was a teenager and had to go buy used copies recently because the books brought back so many memories for me. Her books were about a young teenage girl who is horse-crazy and lives in the Midwest countryside somewhere near Lake Michigan (northern Indiana? Southwestern Michigan?) - I think that is where the author grew up, so her descriptions and people portraits of old Polish truck farmers have a lot of versimilitude, at least for me. Especially since I married the descendent of an old Ukranian truck farmer from Southwestern Michigan 4 years ago!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:22:36 PM  Show Profile
John Steinbeck for sure and for certain.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Frannie...just ONE? Shame on you!

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I have a weakness for James Michener. I just love the way he mixes history with the stories about the people. I just get lost in the lives of the people he writes about. It is just the perfect combination of history, genealogy, and storytelling.
His story about California, is a favorit of mine. My family has lived in California since 1845, and while reading his story I was always on the look out for names that I recognized. It helped me to really connect my family with what was going on around them.

Louisa May Allcott, is another favorite of mine. I ready many of her books, over and over and over, as a young girl.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile
jenny .. i admire you .. i have tried and tried to read steinbeck .. and he gives me a big YAWN! mayhaps i should try again .. give me your FAVORITE book by him .. and i'll get it from the library and try again!

yep! miz rhonda .. ya' GOTTA' choose jus' one for this little game! o.k. who would it be?

elizabeth .. i too love michener .. but he, too is awfully wordy and descriptive .. of course, i loved jane auel's books (i think i mispelled her name) ... Clan of the Cave Bear, etc. and lordy knows THOSE were descriptive! maybe it's the mood we are in at certain times in our lives that we love 'this or that'.

i truly love pictures books about gardens, cooking, primitive style decorating and crafts the most!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Frannie- steinbeck is hard for me to read too... just couldn't make it through Grapes of Wrath, but LOVED East of Eden. One of my favorite books.

My favorite author... Rhonda is right! one is hard! I'll say Barbara Kingsolver, with John Irving and Roald Dahl waiting in the wings.

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  08:48:08 AM  Show Profile
Probably Rosamunde Pilcher. I love the way she writes and describes everything in her unique, british way. I have read all her books more times than I can count!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  08:59:34 AM  Show Profile
if I can pick ONLY ONE (very hard) it would have to be Edith Wharton, love her writings, all of them. All my favorite authors are deceased, it's crazy but I love the way authors of long ago wrote. They took words and wove them into magnificent plots & scenarios but still kept so much to the imagination, I can't find that anymore. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or maybe I just want to keep authors like Wharton, Austen, Hemmingway, Woolf, Wilde, Bronte & Ingalls-Wilder up on my pedestal but I get "carried off" in their stories and it's so magical. Little Women is still one of my favorites and I got to experienc it all over again w/ my daughter. To me, this authors are timeless along w/ their work and I doubt that I'll find it w/ authors of today ALTHOUGH, Im open & I will still keep looking.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  09:56:32 AM  Show Profile
You all are naming so many of my favorites..I love that.
Frannie....Cannery Row is a goood one. I LOVE Grapes of Wrath..but I think CAnnery Row is less long and is more light and fun. I love them all though. Steinbeck just makes his characters so real and I can just see them..so descriptive!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Gladys Taber- I want to live like her and her stories makes me feel like I am. She will always be my inspiration for life...
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh, one of my favorite topics. Pat Conroy is my fav, with Lee Smith being an almost tie with him. My fav Conroy book is The Lords of Discipline, and my fav Lee Smith is Oral History. I also really like Diana Gabaldon, who writes the time traveling Outlander series.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  12:59:49 PM  Show Profile
If I had to pick a favorite it would be Sarah Orne Jewett. Her characters are enchanting and quirky at the same time, and her writing so richly detailed that it makes me ache to be in the place she is writing about!! My favorite- The Country of the Pointed Firs. Just a beautiful, charming book.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile
OK, Frannie...just one huh? Then I'd pick Emily Bronte. Wuthering Heights is on my top ten books of all time. Her sisters weren't slackers either.
I really love Dickens and Nathaniel Hawthorn too. Seeing a trend? ;)

Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Mine would be Janice Hot Giles also. I have several of her Books.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  05:26:06 AM  Show Profile
oh robin .. a kindred soul! i just finished her 'waterman' book .. and it was spell-binding .. i couldn't put it down! not like her usual 'land/farmer' books .. but everybit as beautifully written .. she makes you feel like 'you are there'!

jenny .. oh good grief! cannery row is the steinbeck book that made me know that i never ever wanted to read him ... light? fun? lordy! i must not have given it a chance .. i know it is around here SOMEWHERE .. i'm gonna' try and find it (or get it from the library) and give it another chance! maybe it was jus' WHERE I WAS in my life at the time where i had no patience to sit and read anything that was LONG. thanks gurlfren . .i'll give him another try! xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  09:05:37 AM  Show Profile
Jenny~ I love Steinbeck too. But I have found that if I read too many in a row, I kinda get depressed.
I guess my all time favorite would be To Kill a Mocking Bird, and for some reason I can't think of the other!!

Jody Picoult is good too, and it is fun to wait for a new book to be published.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I never usually read two Steinbeck novels in a row either. Like you said..depressing. The only one I never could finish..didn't like it I guess or just wasn't as good to me as the others was "the Winter of our Dicontent". I will finish it someday though. I am stubborn.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  10:33:10 AM  Show Profile
One author is just so hard, but I'll say Alice Hoffman. Her books are usually about women and their relationships and there's always a bit of mystical, magical things in the stories. Her writing can make you laugh,smile or cry.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile
I'll be a black sheep here, but I love something that gives me the willies so I stick with Stephan King.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Bobbi! I read a lot of Steven King when I was in high school! The book about the super-flu/they made it into a movie/can't remember the title...LOL was amazing! Scared myself silly-so I had to stop reading him! His wife wrote some good spine chilling stuff too. Have you checked her out?
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  12:45:30 PM  Show Profile
I definitely don't have just one favorite, but one favorite is Peter Mayle, with all his books about life in Provence. I really find him funny. Well, while I'm here - I also love Ann Rivers Siddons, Diane Mott Davidson, Isak Dinesen, Susan Hermann Loomis, and many more!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  1:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I have always meant to check out his wife's stuff but doesn't she use a pen name? The book about the superflu is "the Stand" but he revisits it quite a lot in his Dark Tower Series.. actually he revisits a lot of his previous books in that series. It's also just as well written as his other wtuff but not as scary, so if you ever want to check him out again I'd start with that one, or perhaps Eyes of the Dragon. He wrote it for his kids so it's pretty mellow but still a great story.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile
If I can only pick one, it has to be Willa Cather. I think I've read nearly all of them although some I remember better than others. My Antonia and O Pioneers are of course classics.

It's hard to choose just one contemporary although I could probably come up with a top ten list... Richard Russo, Anne Tyler, Kent Haruf... Hmmm, I guess I'll have to put some more effort in to come up with a full top ten list.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:47:44 PM  Show Profile
My Antoinia was VERY good. I bet I read it since you recomended it. I need to read O Pioneers..don't think I have.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
anne rice I jus talways liked Vampires and Ghoast and mummies as a kid. Funny as an adult I am diagnosed with a bleeding disorder and the symptoms are those of a vampire sort of. Pale pale skin ans sunk in eyes white eye lids on hte inside of the eye from being to enimic. My husbands makes jokes that I could just relate to well to the carracters as another symptom is easily twisting ankles and things like that so I am almost always wraped up. I just think it is funny my self al the simalarities the good part is that the real bad characterists I don't have those.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic All-Time Favorite AUTHOR Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page