Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 making Mary Jane's apron
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making Mary Jane's apron Next Topic
Page: of 2

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  07:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Great I dea, Georgeann! I think you'd get a lot of sales!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  08:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. As most of you know I have gone to funerals for the last three days.
It is amazing all the things you make Aunt George and how kind you are.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 20 2006 10:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  09:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
Just wanted to let you know that the Farmgirl Apron is a one-size-fits-all - and this really means ALL (well, most anyways) sizes! If you'll look at the photo that comes with the pattern in the Farmgirl Budget Mix package, you'll see that all the girls at the farm have one on - from Megan, on the left who, judging by the size of her waist, must be about a size 0, to me, next to her, a 22-24! Of all the aprons, both vintage and new, that we have here at the farm, this apron is the only one that fits me and looks nice. The only thing that you might want to adjust is the neck piece. While it fits most people (including me) just fine and is made to lay a little way down on your back (not up against your neck), for smaller sizes it sometimes doesn't stay put there. You might want to try it on when you just have the pieces pinned together to see how it works on you. Then you can take an inch or so off the neck pieces if need be before you stitch the pieces together and put the bias tape on.

Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Carol..I will have to try it for sure now. I am about a size 18 but very big on top so I have a hard time with thing fitting right.. I am glad to know this one may not need a ton of adjustment to work on my "sturdy" body.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  12:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Aunt George -- I love the name! It is not corny at all. And I will be in line to be a customer even though I can sew!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile
The Everyday Apron ran too small for me when I made a muslin of it first. I posted a question on the on the other apron thread on page 39, about the size. I made the changes that someone else did to make it fit... using 1 1/2 yards of fabric, changing the layout and increasing from the center fold. It worked and fits. The link is below. I hope this helps.

As for copyright, Kinkos did check for it and at first said no. I challenged that she wouldn't have included "Make a copy of this page, then enlarge it 400% for your life-size MaryJanesFarm pattern." if she didn't intend for us to do just that. They made the copy.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29&whichpage=39
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Susan, I'm glad you posted this. I was going to start on making that apron and now I think it's not going to be big enough. I read the post you put a link to about how to adjust it but I'm not sure I get it. I definitely can't wear an 8, at my skinniest I can wear a 10 but I'm up 15 pounds since last summer (mostly gained when my husband was on strike and was home for six very long weeks). I'd say I can wear a 12 comfortably. The 1940's apron is plenty big enough, think it's for a 10-12? When I had the print place in town (no Kinkos in this small town) enlarge the pattern they barely were able to do 400%, not so sure they could do 500%. Should I copy the page and then cut out the pieces and have each one enlarged 500% and would that be too much?
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  10:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I would guess that would be your best bet on enlarging. I don't know if that would be too much or not but if you cut the pieces apart then that should work. If one piece is the entire length of the page cut it in half then blow up that then tape the two big pieces back together

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  5:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I haven't seen anything posted here in 1 month on this topic. So I was kinda thinking some must have made this apron. As I have not purchased this book yet, I do plan to, would the ladies who have finished these post them here a sort of fashion show we would get to see lovely you and your lovely aprons. Please I oh so want to she what it looks liek after all the discussion about blowing the patterns up and copywrites and all.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 30 2006 09:42:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine posted to this thread and made it active, and I see someone referenced my previous post. Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I normally wear a size 22 or 24 (ample) so it sounds like maybe the directions I gave would be way too much for someone who wears a 10 or 12!

I added four inches to the front of the apron by moving the pattern fold line over 2 inches. This would probably be way too much for a size 12 or 14, maybe 1/2 an inch at the front fold would do for you (giving 1 inch more coverage) You probably don't need the extra inch at the shoulder for the bust, therefore you probably don't need the darts at the side of the apron either (the purpose of these is to take up the extra material formed by folding flat fabric around my curvaceous bustline!) You may want to add a small amount at the back, maybe 1/2 inch again. Just cut 1/2" away from the edge of the pattern, and then "connect the dots"

Heck an apron is adjustable, it is supposed to fit a little loose.

You might be even be able to get by with the 1 yard of fabric.

I didn't go to Kinko's, I just measured the lines on the page with a ruler and took a heavy black marker and drew it out on newspaper. If the line in the book was 2 inches long, to blow it up 400%, I drew a line 8 inches long. I didn't want to tear the page out of the book.

Hope this is a little more clear.

quote:
Originally posted by CFlohe

Susan, I'm glad you posted this. I was going to start on making that apron and now I think it's not going to be big enough. I read the post you put a link to about how to adjust it but I'm not sure I get it. I definitely can't wear an 8, at my skinniest I can wear a 10 but I'm up 15 pounds since last summer (mostly gained when my husband was on strike and was home for six very long weeks). I'd say I can wear a 12 comfortably. The 1940's apron is plenty big enough, think it's for a 10-12? When I had the print place in town (no Kinkos in this small town) enlarge the pattern they barely were able to do 400%, not so sure they could do 500%. Should I copy the page and then cut out the pieces and have each one enlarged 500% and would that be too much?
Cheryl

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making Mary Jane's apron Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page