Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Button holes from Heck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Button holes from Heck Next Topic  

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  8:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Am I the only one who can't make decent button holes on my sewing machine? I've gone through 3 machines since I started Button Hole Quest and after years of trying, I've finally given up.

I've used the one with the long piece that you fit the button in and it always pops out. I've had two machines that use the 1-2-3-4 up and back dial and I can never get the right length OR width. One side is tight and going back up is loose.

Am I missing something? I've read the manuals until I know them by heart but still can't figure it out.

Anybody have any ideas? thanks in advance.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  9:47:43 PM  Show Profile
That's a tough one. Some things in sewing are really frustrating and you certainly have my sympathy. My White sewing machine has a buttonhole attachment and makes the buttonhole for me....I think I'd be alot like
you if I had to to do one just zigzag. However, if I had to do it just zig zag, I guess I'd lay the button on the cloth and mark the length,
then get a ruler and make a straight line between it, then zigzag the left side of the line first, then move over and starting at the same end as the first side, do the right side, then
move my stitch length to "0" and do each end about 5 times and see if that works. Sorry I haven't had that problem. My mom brings all her buttonholing to my house to do with my attachment. Wish you luck.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Jul 29 2006 9:49:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  9:59:19 PM  Show Profile
I finally gave up on buttonholes and do them by hand. I would gladly take a "buttonhole making class" if it were offered. I think they stink to make. Zippers arn't my favorite either..but those I CAN do if I have to.
Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  03:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I stink on buttonholes too. And I even have a machine that does it automtically. You just put the button in the attachment and it doe the correct size. I still mess it up!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile
I love my buttonholer....they come out perfect every time.....but, I suffered for years with my old machines! Same problem tight on the way up and loose on the way back, so I started holding back the fabric on the return trip to shorten the stitches and went very slow. Always do a practice buttonhole for the length first, then mark each spot with a disappearing marker.

My new machine is a Kenmore made by Janome. But I still, from old habit, look for patterns with few buttonholes! LOL

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  08:40:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. Some good tips here. At least I'm not alone!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Button holes from Heck Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page