Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 making Mary Jane's apron
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making Mary Jane's apron Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile
I want to make the full-size apron in Mary Jane's book, but I can't figure out how to enlarge the patterns 400 percent. Will a regular copier do that and how many pieces of paper will you end up with? Or should I take it to some place like Kinko's and get them to enlarge it (will I have problems with copyright?)?

Thanks-
Kim in NC

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  1:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you would probably be best to go to kinko's as for copy write there is a thing called fair use. Meaning you bought the pattern to make and you need it adjusted so you can make said pattern. This does not mean you can go out make it larger and sell the enlarged version that is a copywrite problem. But if you are making it just for your own personal use there should be no problem as you are not profiting from it nore are you claiming it to be your pattern after you inlarged it. You are still crediting the original designer. I have not seen mary janes book so here is another issue. If the page in question has a picture of the apron and it tells you to order the item then there is a copywrite issue if you enlarge the pattern. If the pattern is ment to be enlarged to use ( it usually states this) then no problem have fun making the pattern free use.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 16 2006 3:01:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  2:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sunshine. The book actually has the pattern really tiny and then tells you to enlarge it to make the apron.
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  3:05:24 PM  Show Profile
I love that apron! I don't know why I didn't see it in her book before. I have to go into town so I'm going to take the book and see if I can get that pattern enlarged the 400%. I like the clothespin apron too that's in the book but you don't need a pattern on that one.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I became a "True Blue Farmgirl" today with my 50th post.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  3:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I hope that helped you and that you have fun making the apron

p.s. what book is this that you are talking about

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 16 2006 3:17:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  4:48:20 PM  Show Profile
I want to make it too!! I'm going to try to draw it out by hand, I'm actually pretty good at that. Also I would have to make enlarge it 800% to fit me as compared to Mary Jane! LOL

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  5:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
aunt george what book is this what does the pattern look like

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, the pattern is in this: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=103&ProductID=73040001

And it's pretty cute. It's kind of fitted, with a full bib kind of thing. I'll see if I can find one online to show you.

Georgeann-
I try and draw the patterns out too. It seems like a pretty easy one to do, and it may be that it is the same shape as something else I have in my idea file. I like to look at the ones on Dorothy's HomeGoods, A Stitch In Time... and I just ordered one from the Paisley Pincushion. Can't wait to get that one.

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile
I enlarged the apron pattern I got with the farmgirl tote I ordered.
I used freezer paper and drew a 1" sq grid and just re-drew the 1/4" squares on the pattern. It went fast and enjoyed it.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  7:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine...the BOOK they are talking about is the book MaryJane wrote!! It is a wonderful lifechanging..must have book!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  11:32:44 PM  Show Profile
The book is MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook. I took the book with me into town this afternoon to a print shop and got the pattern enlarged the 400%. I hadn't thought about whether it would fit, I don't think it says what size. It only cost $1.25 to enlarge it. I took the book with me to JoAnne's too to try and find some material kind of like what was in the picture of the apron. The girl's in JoAnne's were asking what I was making and I showed them the picture and they really liked it too. Can't wait to start making it but my husband is on his way home from Seattle so it's clean-the-house night. During the week when he's in Seattle I'm a bit relaxed about house cleaning. I spent too much time this week searching the house for the sewing machine my Mom gave me that she bought 35yrs ago, it's a Morse. I found the manual to it today so I know it's got to be here. It's driving me crazy! Better go finish cleaning.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  05:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Be sure to snap and post a photo of the fabric that you chose! I love old timey prints, but alot of the apron sites are showing wild, modern prints and they are really pretty too!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  12:15:24 PM  Show Profile
You can see two different aprons from this pattern in my shop, here:
http://www.etsy.com/view_item.php?listing_id=97686
http://www.etsy.com/view_item.php?listing_id=90280

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  12:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I love your aprons and other items on the etsy site! Thanks for the links. I especially love the calico apron. I'm curious how you applied your bias edging. Did you do the one step method or did you sew it to the back side, then flip it around and topstitched it to the front? There is alot of bias tape application on this lovely apron!
Thanks,

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  01:37:25 AM  Show Profile
OK, I took MJ's book to Office Depot and got it enlarged 400% for 87cents. I am in the process of taping together the papers from the enlargement, cutting them out etc. I placed the cut out pattern pieces up on my sewing manaquin...Andrea..she is about a size 8 to 10 and the pattern pieces look like they will fit her perfectly. So I am now in the process of altering the pattern to fit a plus size farmgirl (me). I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on cutting them out later on Sunday after cutting them out in paper first and fitting them, then I will redo a permanent pattern. Are there any other plus size farmgirls out here besides me?

Auntgeorge
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  12:21:19 PM  Show Profile
uh...yep!!! I am for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  12:30:01 PM  Show Profile
AuntGeorge,

I do a one-step application for bias tape. It IS a little akward to do at first, but it really looks great when its done. And yes, there is a lot of bias tape on the apron. I use two packages of storebought bias tape, and (what feels like) miles of "home made" bias tape.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  3:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Jenny....me too. I guess I should have read your tag line a bit closer! Love your blog and your etsy site!

Thanks Annie, I've done it bothways with different degrees of success. I did find something that works really well. I have had it for months, bought it in a markdown bin, I'm sure glad I did! It is a Clover bias tape maker. It is fabulous! I'll never be without one now that I have tried it!!

Thanks for the bias tape tip, because yours looks fabulous...looked at your etsy site too.

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  4:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, ladies. The average size in the US now for women is 12 or 14. Don't get me starated on how Hollywood shapes our ideas of what is beautiful and acceptible and what is not.
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  6:20:23 PM  Show Profile
It's funny. I tell my husband I am completely happy if I am in the bare versus clothed. Nothing fits right. It all binds and pulls and shows lines and bumps. At least nekkid I am not bound up like a sausage. :)
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  2:11:02 PM  Show Profile
I got a package today from Georgann with 4 different colors of vintage rickrack, pink, red, lavender, and purple!! Thank you so much Georgann!! You are just the sweetest!! I want so badly to work on my aprons (my husband went back to Seattle today) but I have to take my 16yr old son over to my parents house to help them with their lawn, etc and my Dad is going to help me throw together a little chicken house. When I get back home though I'm working on aprons!! I got a new camera the other day, haven't had a chance to use it, but I will take pictures of my aprons and post them!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  5:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Georgann -- plus size farmgirl here!!!!! I wear a size 22 -- thus the reason I have not made that apron. In fact -- most aprons are sized for small gals. Let me know how the alterations go. Would love to see a picture after you're done. Hmmmm -- maybe we should start an apron business for plus sizes?!?

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes..be sure to post a picture. I havn't made that apron for the same reason..although I should for others..it IS cute! I am in such a rut for my own aprons..found a pattern I like and my aprons are all from that one pattern. But I love them!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  9:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Will do! I am going to sew up the smaller size that the pattern enlarges too. But I am going to work out a muslin prototype in the 20 to 24 size range. I think that it will be very lovely when done. I really like the shape of it and the drape. I was thinking of trying to start a homesewing business for the plus size aprons. I kinda like this name for it: Abundant Blessings {Heavenly aprons for the big hearted farmgirl.} Is that a little too corney?

*g*

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  9:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I love it! I am sorta corny though..so you sure can't go by me!! haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making Mary Jane's apron Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page