Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 New Year, CSA's and Farm Fresh Delivery!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Year, CSA's and Farm Fresh Delivery! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I've always put in a garden since my husband so graciously put in my raised beds for me, but the last 2 years have been challenging--working full time and the little one, now almost 2, has really limited my time and the weather we've had the last two years has really limited my patience with the garden and the small yield.

Just one of my new year commitments is to eat better food, and to revamp my beds. I'll grow herbs and peppers to keep on hand but I'm not commited to anything larger because I want to "feed" my beds.

I'm so excited, though, because today I signed up for a CSA which is just down the road from our house (they farm for 15-20 families) and have goats milk products, too, and I also signed up for a bi-weekly delivery from Green Bean Delivery, a regional company that brings midwest farmers and artisan breads, cheeses, etc. right to your door. http://www.greenbeandelivery.com/
My sister in law has used this service for several years in surburban Indianapolis and I was always REALLY envious. Now, it's in our area, too!

There is no fee to joint Green Bean and you can set up a "standing order" that can be amended at any time as long as it meets the $35 minimum. Which, honestly, I go OVER when I shop at the green grocer, and this service includes local organic dairys, coffee roasters, breadmakers, cheesemakers, meat, poultry and even organic flower gardeners. With gas about $3.15 a gallon here, buying the milk, eggs, cheeses and breads through this service, rather than driving 30 minutes to Whole Foods, seems like a no-brainer. We long ago paired down our "convenience food" shopping, and our meat shopping comes from one location, once a month. I feel SO excited about this opportunity!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  06:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I think that is smart of you to join the CSA and the delivery system sounds wonderful. Not only are you gaining more time to raise your family, but you are supporting local farmers and business' and eating healthy. Sounds like a win win to me!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile
what a fine system you have for feeding your family. mom always said where there is a will there is a way. also like diane said you are supporting local folks too. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  07:21:54 AM  Show Profile
We're really excited. My husband (who, seems to have never ending faith in my garden-supermom-superworking woman-prowess) wasn't too thrilled with the idea a few years back--why pay someone for the same thing we can do ourselves? This time, though, I think he sees how little time we actually "do" have and that we still accomplish much, if not all of our goals with both of these services at a fraction of what we'd spend if we were doing it ourselves and supplementing with farm markets and shopping organically at grocers. He also really liked that we're supporting local farms and businesses. And he said, "this gives us more time to pick Violets for our wildly popular Violet jelly!"

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
I saw this on Groupon a few months ago, but of course I am outside of the delivery area. I may check to see if Jim could receive the delivery at his work in Oakley. I was planning on breaking the news that I would be asking him to stop at Whole Foods a couple of times a month in Rookwood, & I am SURE he would much rather just pick up a box. If I asked him to find quinoa, I can already feel his panic.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile
He can, Lisa. They deliver to offices and Oakley/Hyde Park is on the map. It just makes sooooo much more sense for us, and now I can actually get Snowville Creamery milk delivered TO my door without having to orchestrate a whole evening to drive north and buy it and turn around and come right back home so it doesn't go bad on the way!

For Thanksigiving, my sil actually ordered her organic free range turkey through Green Bean producers. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the pork and poultry folks offer around Eastertide.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, that sounds so good. Do they deliver to your door? That's even a bigger savings as much as gas is now. Good for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 29 2010 08:59:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Green Bean delivers right to my door. The CSA is 10 minutes from me as the crow flies, and it will be a nice trip with the wee one each Saturday--the same as going to the Farmers Market, only without the hassle of the clueless yuppies carrying their little dogs. With the headline I read a few days ago about gas being $5.00 by 2012, this seems like a good move in more ways than one!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I'm envious. I'm currently working at a Whole Foods type place so I can shop at work but would love to have the GreenBeans concept in our area.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  04:51:15 AM  Show Profile
I sure wish we could get the green bean end, with fresh cheeses and such. We grow all our own veggies, and I bake most of our breads, but the rest would be great. I also have a very small 'direct farmers market', where I hand deliver the extra veggies we grow. We've been trying to expand it, but our garden just didn't want to cooperate last year. So now, we're revamping, and hopefully, it'll go better this year!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
I talked with my mom about the Green Bean Delivery last night and she is going to give it a go if I really like the service. It would be worth it for her--she hates driving to and from the store all the time, especially when she works retail full time. After 17 years in retail, she hates any kind of shopping!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  7:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I can definitely relate to that!! I hate shopping, except for thrift stores and then only in small doses.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Year, CSA's and Farm Fresh Delivery! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page