Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

7 apples
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Ronee
Hazelwood IN
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be in this group!!

~barefoot farmgirl Ronee,wife to one amazing apple and mommy to 5 baby apple's..
God, family and my garden are all I need in life <3
Farmgirl Sister #3103
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=538005128
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 7 apples

I would love to be in this group!!

You've been added! And BTW - what a cute name!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

7 apples
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Ronee
Hazelwood IN
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:01:12 PM  Show Profile
:) thank you and thank you <3

~barefoot farmgirl Ronee,wife to one amazing apple and mommy to 5 baby apple's..
God, family and my garden are all I need in life <3
Farmgirl Sister #3103
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=538005128
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  11:07:07 AM  Show Profile
Is there a formal way to join this group? Was there already a book selected to read? I'm guessing that the questions at the end of the thread dealt with the first book? Sorry to be off the thread--I just joined a bit ago!

Thanks,
Kathie

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Kathie, consider yourself 'joined'. I'll add you to our member list........and welcome!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen, am I right to think the book Sail is June's book? I just want to be sure I'm up to date! Thanks for being so welcoming and let me know if you need anything by way of using my book (possibly, if it's okay with everyone).

Kathie

quote:
Originally posted by missusprim

Kathie, consider yourself 'joined'. I'll add you to our member list........and welcome!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi kathleen, I am not Karen, but I can answer your question. Sail is June's book.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  2:26:25 PM  Show Profile
I finally got my hands on a copy of Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I was on the waiting list at our library so long that I forgot I had requested it. ;) Am about halfway through and, as with all of his books, it's one that is hard to put down. I'm a sucker for a 'sniffer' (a book that requires a box of Kleenex nearby!)

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  11:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Spoiler to Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why?

Although Jo was fictional in this book, I liked her the best. As a Mum myself, my heart ached for her loss of life and her love for her kids and Alex. Course, I disliked Kevin the most. I kind of wished that the book gave more of a glimpse into his upbringing that might have led to his spousal abuse.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you?

Katie said "Maybe I don't want to be defined by what I do. Maybe I'd like to be defined by what I am."

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?

Katie's need to find that comfortable niche in life.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before?

No

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book?

No

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book?

No

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you?

Sadness for Jo, Alex and the kids.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not?

When Katie first was at her cottage, and the turmoil she felt regarding the life she left.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite?

I love 'sniffer' books, so I knew going in that it was a love story. Nothing I liked the least.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why?

I'd change nothing.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional).

I'd give it a 9.

I wish I had had the fortitude to have done what Katie had done at what I deem a young age. No abuse in any way in my past, just a longing to have done a few things differently had I known how. Also, Southport sounds like such a quaint little town and I liked the laid back attitude it presented. Katie's little cottage down a gravel side road sounded as cute as heck.

One more thing: I didn't see Jo's being a ghost coming at ALL. It kind of threw me for a loop, but in a nifty way. I small twist in what was a good read!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Edited by - missusprim on May 29 2011 11:35:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile
*******Exciting news*******

I'm honored to announce that our newest member, author Kathleen Shoop, has graciously given me the green light to allow our group to read her book The Last Letter. And if this isn't exciting enough, she's offering some goodies (giveaway) too! What a hoot!

Here is her link if you'd like to check it out: http://kshoop.com/

Now I know that summer is just beginning and we all have loads to keep us busy - so if I get a majority thumbs up from you gals - I'd like to postpone reading The Last Letter until fall when life has slowed down a wee bit.

So ladies, whatcha think?

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to read the book! It sounds really interesting. Waiting until the fall sounds alright to me, currently I have a busy schedule for the summer.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join this group.
Tammyb
sisterchick 541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Tammy!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  6:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ! Now what book are you getting ready to read?
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile
I am behind the idea of taking the summer off. Will we start back on September first or so? And will we be voting on other choices along with The Last Letter?

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful summer!!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  06:34:34 AM  Show Profile
We'll continue to vote throughout the summer for those that still want to read. I'll let the group know which month we'll be reading The Last Letter. Additionally, I'll give the group the option of reading Kathies book or reading the book that was chosen for that particular month as normal.

I'm very excited that Ms. Shoop has given us the opportunity to enjoy her book. I am equally excited about what good(ies)
she will be offering!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  08:37:13 AM  Show Profile
********** July's selection **********

Here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/163.Best_books_of_July_2008 Please remember to chose from only the first five. As for me, let's just say that I didn't have to go too far down the list to pick mine! ;)

Well ladies, I hope you're all enjoying summer as much as I am! We don't have any wedding, graduations, etc. to go to but we've got plenty around the farm to keep us busy.

We planted our garden the day before Mother's Day and I'm sad to say that other than the potted plants - nothing survived all the rain, cold and 'stuff' Momma Nature doled out since then. This was an odd spring here in NW Ohio..... Anyhoot, DH is going to till and replant and see how it goes (it may be too late but we're willing to try.)

On that note, enjoy the outdoors and be safe.

Karen
Once Upon a Book

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Edited by - missusprim on Jun 01 2011 08:38:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I vote for Tribute. . .

It's not too late for your garden. Mine is just going in this week, too. I've had to replant so many times lately that I just hold off now until 6/1. It does make a short season, especially for tomatoes. Good luck!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  7:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, we did replant and everything is coming up. I am so excited! We've got to get that trellis up for the beans soon though. Also, we finally staked the peppers and maters. We may do as you do and wait to plant later in the spring next year. I always hold my breath for weeks hoping that the weather holds out.....

And hey there fellow chapter farmgirl, Tammyb! Glad to have ya here and hope you enjoy yourself. June's book is 'Sail' by James Patterson. I love this author so I'm sure it's a good read. Hope all of us chapter ladies can get together soon - I'm so anxious to meet everyone and put a face to a name.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information. I will head to the library and pick up the book. A get together sounds like fun... keep me posted.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  1:44:06 PM  Show Profile
karen,

so glad to hear your persistence paid off! Now comes the waiting. . .
Marianne

If you ohio gals meet up, be sure to post a photo!
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Tribute by Nora Roberts is the winner for July! I must confess, I already had it. ;)

Local farmers did get the corn and beans in but the corn in our garden looks sad sad sad. Several rows but only a handful (literally) coming up. Oh well, rest looks pretty good.

Let's hope the old adage 'Knee high by fourth of July' rings true for our farm friends! We had a good rain today so that should give them a good squirt of growth.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

Wheeza
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Colleen
Monterey IN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:24:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm an avid reader & would like to join the group. What are you reading now? Currently, I'm reading "the beach club" by Elin Hilderbrand, but I'll probably have it finished by Wednesday. I've read just about everything Nora Roberts has published. I read her most recent release, "Chasing Fire" a week or so ago. It was really good. I'm always looking for something new, reading is my #1 favorite thing to do.

Farmgirl Sister #3055 ~ "because I'm supposed to grow vegetables in the dirt & wear funny hats!"
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  05:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Colleen, we'd absolutely love to have you in our group! I apologize for the delay in responding to you.......gardening, mowing, work, etc. takes up more time than I think this time of year.

At the moment we're reading Tribute by Nora Roberts. I have the book and started it but got caught up with - well - see the above! Have you read any of her books in her other name, J.D. Robb? I don't think I have as I believe they're more suspense/mystery. But I do like her writing style.

I also just 'read' The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond. What a hoot! Not sure what I like better - the pictures or her recipes (which aren't for the faint at heart).

Again, welcome to Once Upon a Book's little corner of the world! As soon as I send this I'll add you to our list!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

countryteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Deanna
Jameson Missouri
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  11:18:42 AM  Show Profile
I would like to join the reading group. I love to read and have read many of Nora Roberts books. I'm going to see if the library has the book.
Happy 4th,
Deanna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page