Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  12:38:37 AM  Show Profile
I have not been able to get the good reads web page either by clicking on the link or typing the address. I've been trying for several days and I just get that darn hourglass! Last month it came up w/ no problem! Can anyone give me any advice? MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  01:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Mary

I had trouble too. I really can't tell you how I got there, but I am sure Karen will double check the address now that you have pointed out the problem. Sorry I am not more help!

Karen,
I vote for Chasing Harry Winston . . .
marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I vote for Chasing Harry Winston. I couldn't stop reading the excerpt........

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Sorry you're having problems Mary! Below I've listed the five books on the list along with their author:

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger
The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
Careless in Red (Inspector Lynley #15)
Steampunk by Ann Vandermeer
The Mirrored Heavens (Autumn Rain #1)by David J. Williams

Or try this - copy and pasting the following into your address bar: http://www.goodreads.com/list/best_of_month/2008/May

Hope this works!

Karen

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the list, Karen! I vote for Careless in Red, with Chasing Harry... as a second choice. I'm not sure if mentioning a second choice helps in the event of a tie, or if it just complicates things, lol! Anything is fine w/ me! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  04:34:47 AM  Show Profile
*********May's winner**********

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger!

Hope everyone is getting a nice dose of spring wherever you are. Forsythia has been coming out, daffodils and the like are out now and so nice to see.

We've got our garden mostly tilled and will get our veggie plants very soon. As always, we waited too long to start our own from seed. ;)

Happy reading!

Karen
Once Upon a Book

Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  8:20:59 PM  Show Profile
I am about halfway through reading Hold Tight and I am really enjoying it. I was doing taxes until 2 this morning but still I read for about an hour. AND i still had a productive day today.:)

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  04:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Tee hee, it WAS a hard one to put down! Glad you enjoyed it!

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  9:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I have neglected the book club! But May's pick is actually one that I have read. I'll be able to participate in discussion!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  9:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I have actually read May's selection! I'm sorry for neglecting the book club:( I will definitely post on Chasing Harry Winston though!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  06:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Megan, no big'un! It's spring and I'm sure we'll all be busier than normal with various things - myself included.

Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  4:00:28 PM  Show Profile
"Hold Tight" questionnaire
I finished this last night, so I want to do the questions while they are still fresh.
1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why? I like Mo the best as he was the trusted best friend. Not a big part of the story, but always there when needed. I liked Anthony too for mostly the same reasons.. I disliked the punk kid Carson because he reminded me of some of son's less appealing associates when he was younger-I refuse to call them friends.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you? "Vox clamantis in deserto" When Mike met Anthony the bouncer and they discovered they both went to Dartmouth

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? Since my son had some run-ins with the law and drugs and such when he was younger, all of the activity with the kids made my heart hurt and reminded me of those days. i could feel so much of what Tia and Mike were feeling.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before? No

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book? No, my convictions that people are looking for a profit even at the expense of kids still holds true. And, I am mad about it all over again.

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book? No

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? Anger and fear for children

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? Within the first chapter.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite? I liked the range of stories within the story, but it did get a tiny bit hard to keep up with.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? I think it needs no chage

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional). I rate this at a 9.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  4:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey I just put Hold Tight on my paperbackswap.com list, but if anyone here wants to swap something for it, lets talk.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  6:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia, it's always interesting to hear how a book reminds others of their past. Glad you enjoyed the book.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Busy, BUSY month April was. Gardening, yard work, work and last but not least......staying warm, dry and safe from all that Mother Nature has dealt us. I finally got my hands on Chasing Harry Winston, though, so all is not lost.

I'll reiterate that I'm not going to send the police to your house if you don't vote, read or participate. It's summer after all ladies, and we've all got things to do that most likely don't include sitting inside when we've waited through Old Man Winter to be outside!

Soooo.......

********June's book selection********

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13.Best_books_of_June_2008

Once again I noticed that so many of the books listed were of a series - so I'm extending the list choice from 5 books to 10. And pay no mind to the sites inability to know their numbers when they were putting them in numerical order! We're all human.....

My pick is a no brainer.......Sail by James Patterson. Okay, I'm a big fan of his.

That said, enjoy the warmer weather out there. It's warmer but not necessarily warm here in NW Ohio yet......but we're getting there. I have high hopes for next week!

Once Upon a Book
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile
I hate to admit it Ladies....But I am having a hard time keeping up....Life gets in the way sometimes, so I may have to do some catching up as I can!! Blessings to you all...DebbieSue
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  06:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Global Sense is my vote.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile
I have already read Harry Winston, but I will vote for one of the few james patterson books I haven't read and choose "Sail" for June. I have read a lot of his earlier books and then kind of got out of the habit of picking them up when they came out. He has written SO many!

Marianne

Our warm week has already disappointed us here in the NW. We are stuck at about 10 degrees below normal. . .
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile
I just got a copy of "Harry" and will be starting to read it soon. For June, my vote is When You are Engulfed in Flames. I have to admit that part of the attraction is that I can get it at my local library! Hee hee!
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:01:03 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Harry Winston right now, and as far as June goes, I have already read Sail and it is well worth the read.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi...I would love to join this book club. How can I join?

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173
http://chicken-merry.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  04:40:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rebekahj

Hi...I would love to join this book club. How can I join?

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173
http://chicken-merry.blogspot.com/

Rebekah, consider yourself joined! I'll add you to our list on page 5, and there is a post on the simple guidelines of our group on page 2.

Welcome to Once Upon a Book - we're glad to have ya!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  6:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Questionnaire Chasing Harry Winston

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why? I liked Emmy the best because she was the most down to earth. I liked Leigh the least because she seemed kind of wishy washy and whiny.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you? "if you think its too big, you don't deserve it" I didnt realize until I read into the chapter that the phrase was talking about a dimaond-my mind went on a TOTALLY inappropriate jaunt! LOL

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? I had a period in my life where I acted a lot like Adriana-not the wealthy gorgeous part, but the dating lots and lots of men part. This was after the divorce from first husband and my friends were amused by it at first but then began to suggest I pick one and settle down again.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before? no

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book? no

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book? no

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? amusement

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? I liekd it from the beginning, but it is not a book I would rave about and not the first book I would suggest to a friend. It is cute, but just cute.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite? It was set mostly in NYC, which is my favorite city but, it got a little silly at times.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? N/A

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional). 6

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  05:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, got a dang good laugh out of your response to question number 2. I must admit my mind would've traveled the same direction as yours.......

I know this book is from the author of The Devil Wear Prada, and although I liked the movie, it wouldn't have been a book I would've read first. That said, I'm having a hard time with this one. But I like the story line so far so I'll keep chugging along.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  2:47:10 PM  Show Profile
******June's winner******

Looks like Sail by James Patterson is our June book!

I feel as if May is just flying by. If I'm not working - I'm home put-zing around the house/yard/barn. So many things to do this spring and so little time. Only time I get to read is when I'm snuggled up in bed if I get to bed early. Operative word here is 'if.' Seems I'm so tired by the end of the day that I end up falling asleep on the couch and stay there all night and don't actually get my old carcass to bed.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page