Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  05:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, I wondered the same thing. It must've been a man who compiled the list........

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  11:05:16 AM  Show Profile
My faith in my farmgirls remains intact since we didn't choose it!! Hope you get Safe Harbor soon, Karen. I think you will enjoy it. I did, although I thought everything wrapped up a bit too neatly at the end! It seems that sometimes real life has some "strings hanging" at the end of the day. Not quite so tidy.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I just couldn't get into The Last Time They Met. I really and truly tried......it just wasn't going to happen. I could list the reasons but I don't want to criticize the author nor deter anyone who IS reading it. So.......

I started reading Hold Tight and I am hooked. It's even taken precedence over my crocheting! My son will be coming up tomorrow for a visit on his college spring break so the book will be on hold unless I can sneak in a few pages before beddyby time.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  01:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
Thanks for your honesty. I gave up on the book much earlier than you did. I just figured I would catch up with our group with Hold Tight. I haven't started it, but now I have a great reason to look forward to it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  10:03:47 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Hold Tight, and also having a hard time putting it down! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  07:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Whew! Thank goodness someone else couldn't make a go of that book, Marianne!

Maggie, I know a really good part is coming up but I want to wait until I can have a good block of time to absorb it all. But I am also looking forward to filling out the questionnaire and also to see what others thought of this great book.

Harlan Coben is an author that I'm going to really look into. He has several books (14?) out and I truly like his writing style. Makes you want to just keep turning them pages.........

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:35:59 AM  Show Profile
It was hard for me to determine who was talking by the writing style for The Last Time They Met.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Valerie, I felt the same. I have learned my lesson, though. From now on I will do more research on a book before I choose. I think Amazon has excerpts from a book so I can read the first several pages to know if it's doable for me.

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  07:10:04 AM  Show Profile
I have never seen a writing style like that before. I did not even make it past the second chapter once I skimmed the other pages and realized the whole book was like that. I only then knew I would become more confused as to who was talking. lol

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Karen, thanks for being willing to take the extra time. I appreciate it and I know the rest of the club does, too. You are doing a fantastic job of moderating the book club!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  06:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Many thanks, Marianne, for your kind words - they're appreciated more than you'll know.

I'm about halfway through Hold Tight. It just keeps getting better and better. Wish I had a 'do nuthin' day so I could sit and read it 'til the end.

Go to Top of Page

hiscountrypumpkin
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Debbie
Myrtle Creek OR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello..I'm interested in joining your book club..From what I'm gathering it's Hold Tight?!..And have you picked the next book yet?..Thank You..Debbie
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  6:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, hello and glad to have you here in Once Upon a Book!

In a few days I'll post the link for everyone to select May's selection from.

Happy reading!

Edited by - missusprim on Mar 27 2011 6:18:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

katnip05
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Katrina
Norfolk Nebraska
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  7:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, I wasn't able to finish The Last Time They Met before it was time to return it. I got my copy of MaryJane's Ideabook in the mail and wasn't able to even think about anything else until I'd read it cover to cover...twice! I think I'm ready to move on now, but it's going to be with Hold Tight. I really had a hard time getting involved in The Last Time They Met.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  05:45:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I can imagine... When I got it from the library I was so busy that I didn't get to really look at it and had to return it. Mary Janes book, that is. I think you'll like Hold Tight, a breath of fresh air after the last book.....

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile
"Hold Tight" questionnaire

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why? I like Mo the best as he was more of a background guy, very intelligent, kind of a loner but trustworthy. I disliked the murderer the most for obvious reasons.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you? "If you can't trust, you can't be trusted."

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? Dr. Goldfarb and her relationship with her husband Herschel and how the path their marriage took over the years.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before? No

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book? Slightly. The author made doctors more 'human' when it comes to their patients. I think most are like that, but we as patients might not think of them in that light.

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book? No

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? Compassion

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? First page!

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite? I liked how the author made everyone from the murderers to the doctors more understandable as far as what they were feeling. Not really a gripe, but there were a lot of characters and elements to keep track of. (My poor brain!)

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? As above, fewer characters maybe.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional). I rate this at a 9.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

hiscountrypumpkin
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Debbie
Myrtle Creek OR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  2:31:27 PM  Show Profile
My library has a copy coming available..So will catch up..Thank goodness I'm a quick reader..
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to share some thoughts about Hold Tight. I found it to be really riveting- it held my interest from beginning to end. Like Karen, I liked the way the author makes you understand what the different characters are thinking and feeling. What would you do to protect the people you love? Most of the characters in the book had to make decisions based on this question. All in all, a good read!
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Mary, good point regarding what someone would do to protect your loved ones and how so much depends on the situation at the time. Makes me think of the various things in my life that I've chosen to do and how if things were different I might've chosen another path altogether.

And I do like this author, too! I see where he has a new one out.

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  12:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I'll definately try to get my hands on a copy of Harlan Coben's newest book. I've read a few of his older books over the years, and found them to be well written and entertaining, but I think he has reached a new level.
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  4:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Hello all-I am interested in this book club, and I have just ordered Hold Tight. What everyone has said so far makes it sound very good, so I look forward to starting it. I am a very fast reader so i will catch up with ya'll soon:)

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  06:40:28 AM  Show Profile
*******May's book selection*******

Okay ladies, below is the link to next month's book list. Please remember that we're choosing from the first five. So let me hear from ya!

www.goodreads.com/list/best_of_month/2008/May

FYI, once you've brought up the page for the individual book to see what it's about - you'll notice the button 'Google Preview' under the 'Add to my books' button along the left hand side. Clicking on that will take you to a page that has an actual excerpt from the book. Very useful, indeed!

Happy reading,

Karen
Once Upon a Book

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, we'd love to have ya! And don't worry if you're lagging behind in what we're reading at the time, everyone has their own pace.

I also am a pretty fast reader but I imagine with spring, garden planting, yard work, etc. I will be a wee bit slower. lol

On that note, welcome!

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile
I vote for the reapers

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen!

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page