Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile
I vote for "The Dressmaker" for March and "Lavinia" for April!!

Edited by - DebbieSue on Feb 23 2011 4:02:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow Karen, all I have to say is....YOU GO GIRL! Thank you so much! Not only picking the books ahead of time, but choosing from an older selection will be SOOO much easier. I can't wait to start in April with you ladies. My vote is also for "Lavinia."

Thanks again to all you ladies for being understanding.
Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  5:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for going w/ the books that are a little bit older! I would like to get back w/ the group in April, and my vote is for the Harlan Coban book. I already checked my local library's web site and can get that book or Lavinia through inter library loan.:-)
Go to Top of Page

latepmcreations
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

juddaca
high point north carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Please add me to you book club! I'm a new Farmgirl & this like so much fun! If I don't have a book for at least 15 min. before bed, I have to go downstairs & read a cereal box!
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  7:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Lol Juddaca! I can totally identify w/ the desperate measures of late night cereal box reading!
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Vmfein and latepmcreations you're in! Hope you enjoy yourselves once we really get rolling.

I just checked my library website and I'm in line for Safe Haven at 426! Whoo hoo.....maybe I'll get it by the end of the year? LOL At this time I see no point in even staying on their waiting list. Dang it. I'll be so glad to start April's when I know the book should be available.

And thanks everyone for voting on the upcoming selections - I'd like to hear from more of ya. Let your voice be heard!

Even though I'm learning to crochet (3 scarves and two potholders) - I'd much rather have a book in my hand.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  01:31:09 AM  Show Profile
I would choose Hold Tight for April's selection.

Thanks again!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  06:13:18 AM  Show Profile
I see where I had a senior moment and chose two books for our March selection on two separate dates. I'll have to be true to myself and go with my first choice of The Last Time They Met. Too many books and too little time.........I wish I could read them all!

In hindsight, another downside of choosing from a list of recently published books seriously restricts the amount of reader reviews as they're so new. I depend a great deal on these reviews. I see where two of the books for March's selection has no reviews yet. So glad we've changed that!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  09:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Which book are we reading for March?

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  05:56:20 AM  Show Profile
The Last Time They Met will be for March. I've got my book coming but my library might be flooded by now what with all the flooding in Ohio! Yikes

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I am on the next on the list to get that book. =0)

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  5:53:39 PM  Show Profile
My copy is waiting for me at our library. I know, I am so lucky. What great timing! Whatdid everyone think of our last book?
marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  06:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, I was never able to get my hands on Safe Haven. But I love the author so I will definitely read it at a later date. Am sure I'll need a box of tissue nearby when I do........

I'm anxious to hear the answer to Marianne's question from others! (Even if it does spoil it for me.......I'm a big girl!)

Also just checked my library in Findlay. They're temporarily closed due to flooding. Sniff, sniff!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  12:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Still flooded at the library. Aaaarrghhhh I'm getting so frustrated. Makes me wonder what kind of summer we'll have.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  06:13:55 AM  Show Profile
Yeah! Library is back in business and my book is waiting for me to pick up. Saw Safe Haven at my local Kroger but resisted the temptation to pick it up - I'll just wait for it's availability at the library.

I'm so excited, I've been holding off reading ANYthing.

Someone let me know what you think of the book so far? I know, I know.........spring is so close and maybe some of you are plotting your gardens, etc. <sigh> I keep hearing that it's (spring) is right around the corner. But we've still got snow on the ground here and there.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile

I picked up my copy of The Last Time They Met and started right in. It is beautifully written, but I am having a bit of trouble getting hooked . . . anyone else feeling that way?

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

latepmcreations
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

juddaca
high point north carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Need clarification: I thought we were reading, "The Last Time We Met", but others are talking about, "Safe Haven". Soooo, which one please? I haven't bought either yet.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  06:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Safe Haven was last month's (February) selection. But because it was a newer book, it was hard for most folks to get their hands on it. Hence, the reason for my opting to go with an older book list. The Last Time They Met is this month's (March) selection.

Hubby and I are going into town today and I'm going to pick up my copy - finally. I have the next few days off so I can't wait to see what this book's all about as it's a new author for me. But I think it's exciting to branch out to new things. Makes life interesting and it's how I've stumbled upon authors I wouldn't normally have chosen.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile
Finally got my copy yesterday. Started reading it while hubby was in picking up his car from the repair shop. I, too, am finding it hard to get into her style of writing. It's not the kind that one can skim through, one must read each and every word so as not to miss something.

I guess the best way to put it is that it goes into too much detail on - well - every little detail from past to present. However, on some points she hits the nail on the head on mundane things that occur in everyday life.

BUT, I'll prevail as I'm only on Chapter 2 and haven't gotten into the meat of it yet on the couple's history together.

Go to Top of Page

katnip05
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Katrina
Norfolk Nebraska
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  3:57:57 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join your group! My library even has a copy of The Last Time They Met and, amazingly, it's available! Must be meant to be.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  12:40:31 PM  Show Profile
You're in, Katrina! Glad you were able to get the book. Hopefully we'll be having some nice days soon so I can get outside to sit on the swing to read.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  5:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Be sure to read each and every paragraph, word for word, of 'The Last Time They Met'. Important tidbits to be had here and there. I'm still not used to her style of writing. Characters spoken words are in italic, so often I read it as if the character(s) are thinking to themselves.

The style (yes, there's that word again) of writing is heavy. Even though the story has a serious undertone, it sometimes feels as if the author is describing the characters feelings, etc. rather than the character his/herself. Kind of like third party. Impersonal.

Would really like to hear what others think of this book, too. Still, it's different in a good way so it's nice to step out of my box once in awhile.

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  7:17:28 PM  Show Profile

Questionnaire "Safe Harbor"

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? I enjoyed Jo,because she was strong and spoke her mind. I was surprised at the way theh book ended with Jo....!! The least and why? Kevin!! Mean and abusive!

2. What passage stood out in the book to you? Can't think of a particular passage.

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? I used to cook some for the public....so I think the cook in the little store.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before? Listen to your dreams!

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book? no

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book? no

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? determination to finish the book!

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? I liked it alright...

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. The new family forming...Your least favorite? My least favorite was of course, the way Kevin was!

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? Maybe the ending...was rather strange.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). I would rate it about a 5 or 6 Discuss (optional).

Edited by - DebbieSue on Mar 13 2011 7:19:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  06:44:20 AM  Show Profile
******April's winner and minor update(s)******

April's selection is Hold Tight! We had a tie so hubby flipped a coin.

Just checked my library and I'm down to 262 in line to get Safe Haven. I think I should just purchase the darn thing, I know my Mom and SIL's would like to read it so it's not like it'd be a waste of money. After glancing over DebbieSue's questionnaire I'm more interested than ever to read it!

Was thinking that, for the above reason, I'm going to keep past book selections open. Some people just can't get their hands on books (yes, me included!) in a timely manner, but may still want to read the selected book and participate in the questionnaire/discussion.

Now off to my library website to put in my request for Hold Tight.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I would have asked for a recount if you told me we were reading "Men Are Better Than Women." lol How did that book get on a book club list???

Marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Mar 16 2011 12:01:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page