Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  08:52:17 AM  Show Profile
I tried to get "Safe Haven" from the library and it was checked out! My sweet daughter in law heard me talking about it.......and she BOUGHT it from Amazon for me!! How sweet is that!! I think I'll keep her! :) :)

Edited by - DebbieSue on Feb 04 2011 08:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow I just finished the last one. will have to get on the ball for this one.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Maybe our book club name should acknowledge how many of us are trying to use the library to save money. It also makes us green to be reusing! Also, the gals who are using the kindle or nooks are saving fuel for delivery, too!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:26:49 AM  Show Profile
Feel free to come up with some names, rough start farmgirl, and I'll certainly add it/them to our list! Never thought about how the women who utilize ebook technology are saving money on gas - both to go get a book or to have one delivered. Smart thinking! February 14 is the big day to see which name 'won!'

How lucky you are DebbieSue to have a wonderful DIL who thinks of you that way. I imagine I could buy it, too, but dang if I don't have to watch our $$ for awhile. Shucks!

Gramadinah don't worry if you get behind in your reading, some of us don't have this months selection yet anyway (myself included.) The only reason I was able to read The Recipe Club so fast is that DH and I were on vacation, it was such a treat to be able to sit down with a good read and not have to keep an eye on the clock and have to go to work!

Karen

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Finished the book this morning. It really kept my interest. I am unsure if I like the ending or not. No spoilers. But whoever else is finished, please email or start another subject so we can discuss . . . or are there other rules to follow? I am being too impatient aren't I. I apologize.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
I finished it last night . . . that's the problem with some books, you just can't put them down! It's not often that an author can SO transport me that I feel a bit dazed and confused when I set a book down and try to remember my REAL life! This book did that to me.

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

cathymark4ever
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Catherine
Friendswood TX
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Send cathymark4ever a Yahoo! Message
I would love to join in as well - any subject!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile
I encourage one and all to discuss to your hearts content in this thread, that's what book groups are all about! Remember that in the rules/guidelines it's suggested that people include additional thoughts on the book when they've finished the questionnaire (or in a separate post if that strikes your fancy). I only ask that you put the word 'SPOILER' at the beginning of your post so someone doesn't inadvertently read it prior to finishing the book. For example 'SAFE HAVEN SPOILER'.

cathymark4ever, you're now added! We're currently reading Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. Welcome!

Marianne, I too am very impatient. It's killing me to have to wait before I can get my hands on the book from the library. If memory serves me right - it should be checked back in tomorrow or the following day. Based on what people have said so far on here about Safe Haven, it's going to be one that I'll read cover to cover in one sitting.

Also, I want to remind everyone that you've only got a few more days to choose a name for our reading group (listed on thread page ). Either post or email me your selection.

Happy reading,

Karen

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Edited by - missusprim on Feb 10 2011 12:15:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  11:55:02 AM  Show Profile
And the winner is......'Once Upon a Book' for our reading group name!

Everyone have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Below is March's selection to choose from. There is only four books, but I'm liking each one for various reasons. So get those votes in ladies!

http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9780743294423?id=4979532413491

Also, our member named 'buzzn bee' had what I thought was a wonderful idea of having a bookmark swap. And, considering that we're farm women (or wannabee's!), it makes sense that they're homemade. Re-purposing, recycling, etc. from what we've got around the house (barn?). I know some of you ladies must have caught the scrap booking fever and have some extra materials laying around you could use up. Squirt me a line or two if you're interested.

February sure has gone by quickly so far. Here in Ohio the snow has been melting steadily the last several days. We can finally see the ground after many, many weeks.

Lastly, I'm STILL waiting to be notified by the library that Safe Haven is in. Hubby and I are going to go into town to the library to see if they have it in but just haven't been able to get ahold of me. What a hoot it'd be if I found it on the shelf!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  1:59:08 PM  Show Profile
I vote for The Last Time They Met!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  2:01:46 PM  Show Profile
SAFE HAVEN SPOILER

For those of you who finished it, how did you feel about the ending, Jo's "existence" and how neatly everything got wrapped up so that they could live happily ever after?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile
My vote's for The Last Time They Met, it looks like a fabulous read!

Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  09:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies I have a question. I desperately want to be apart of the reading group but having problems getting my book from the library in a timely manner. I placed a hold for "The Recipe Club" on January 4th and still haven't gotten it. Is there any way we can vote and decide on the following months book more towards the middle of the month? Buying the books just is not an option for me, I must depend on the library. I may only get to join you on occasion when books are available, but at this rate I don't know if it's even possible.

Thanks
Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  12:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Tommie has a good idea. I will be depending on the library exclusively, too. And having a few days to wait on a request would be helpful to be able to keep up with the group.
marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  5:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Tommie and Marianne, you both bring up a valid point. I, too, am still waiting on Safe Haven from the library. I'm also in a position where I have to rely on the library for my book as money is rather tight at the moment. I generally don't reread a book so buying it isn't something I'm interested in doing unless there is a point of reference - such as a recipe, etc. (hence, my buying The Recipe Club).

I've noticed that the BAM book club selection are books that are relatively new. Most books I checked on were published just last year. Given this, it makes it harder to get an available book at the library. This was a concern of mine but I wanted to see how it goes. Now I know, yikes! Most times, as you have found out, it isn't available for many weeks. Our library has a four week period that you can have a book out. That's a long time.....

I'm going to look into a source for book club lists that offer books that have not been published so recently. This should help tremendously in book availability. Also, knowing next month's book selection mid month beforehand is a great idea. Makes perfect sense (insert me slapping my forehead with a resounding "duh!".

In the meantime, if you can't get your hands on a current book, don't sweat it. I know there are extenuating circumstances that dictate whether we can read or not. You aren't required to participate each month, it's really optional.

So - (big breath) - I'm going to do some tweaking and hope to get this all figgered out before too long. I appreciate you ladies bringing these things to my attention. Sometimes it's the obvious things that we overlook!

Karen

Edited by - missusprim on Feb 20 2011 06:33:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  03:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

This is my first experience in a book club and so far it has been completely positive. I hope you understand that is because you are knocking yourself out to respond to every idea that our members have. You are doing a tremendous job and I feel confident that I can speak for the rest of the members on that point. So, please accept my heartfelt thanks for the time and the effort you are putting into Once Upon A Book!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Awwww, shucks....thanks for the compliment! It's nice to be appreciated - it certainly made my day to read your post. I'm so glad that your experience here has been a good one, and I strive to make it that way for all the ladies.

Now if I can just come up with a source for a book list that works for everyone. Ideas anyone?

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  7:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen, if you are a member of Goodreads, they have lists of books that are good for book clubs, and they are not all recent bestsellers. That way the ladies who depend on a book store can read them!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  05:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I was also thinking we could use a book list from a year ago. I googled "book club book lists 2009" and there are loads of choices. Or would that be too old for most of the members?
marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile
I think I've got a solution. As Megan suggested - I checked into the Good Reads website. There are monthly book lists for 'Best books for (enter month, year)' that go back fairly far. What I found were lists that weren't too long and with a good variety that should appeal to our Once Upon a Book readers. I do think, however, that picking from the first 5 books will make it far easier for voting purposes. Imagine getting 10 votes for ten different titles........aaarrrgh....... KWIM?

I went back to 2008, with the mindset that I didn't want to go back too far, yet recently enough so that what was offered might be 'new' to most of us. Given that, these books should be more readily available from the library. Or, if you're a paperback buyer, there's a good chance they'll be in paperback by now. Yeah!

Marianne, I don't think going back to 2009 is too old. So to be on the safe side, and to ensure book availability purposes, I'm going to go back to 2008. Below is a link to the April 2008 selection. Hopefully this is far enough in advance for April that all our members can have plenty of time to review, select and notify me of your pickins'. As Tommie wisely suggested, I'm going to have the selected book posted two weeks prior to an upcoming month so everyone can have a much better chance of getting our farmgirl hands on them.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/24.Best_books_of_April_2008

Please let me know your thoughts. And a big thanks for being patient and giving me room to tweak things until I get it right!

Karen

Edited by - missusprim on Feb 21 2011 09:03:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I vot for Hold Tight by Harlan Coban!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  9:01:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm the slightest bit confused. The March picks are The Dressmaker, Major Pettigrew, The Last Time They Met,or Dead or Alive. RIght? When I clicked on your link, those were the four books...

If yes, I vote for The Dressmaker.

Thanks for putting this together. I can tell it's a lot of work, and you are doing fabulous responding to everyone!!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Denise, you would be correct. Thanks for your vote!

As explained above, starting in April we will be choosing from titles from the Good Reads website rather than Books A Million. Hope this clarifies it for ya.

For March's selection, I too opt for The Dressmaker. I haven't read a period book in a long, long time.

For April, I'm going with Hold Tight.

Let's get those votes in ladies!

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join the club. My choices are below;

March - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (I was actually torn between this one and the dressmaker)
April - Lavinia

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page