Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  7:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Missusprim,

A few names you might want to add to your list:

" Bookworm Beauties"

" MJF Bookworms"

" Literacy Gardners"

Not much, just my 2 cents worth. LOL!

I will be happy with whatever you select. When I was thinking of
bookworms, I thought it might be fun if each of us were to design a bookworm bookmark to swap with another reader. Just a thought.

My 34 year daughter likes the Literacy Gardners.

Deborah
Buzzn Bee
Farmgirl Sister #1185
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Deborah,

Glad you enjoyed the book! Interesting point you made regarding the well kept paternity secret. I know it attributed to the ending of the book, but in hindsight it makes one wonder why it was kept in the closet for so long. Surely someone had to suspect something along the line. Say, the adults at first - followed by Lilly and Val as they grew into adulthood. Or was this something the author intentionally omitted to keep us wondering?

Thank you for the suggested names, too! I'll keep updating the list as I receive them. It's rather fun to see what we can come up with.

Karen

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List

Edited by - missusprim on Jan 21 2011 10:18:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join this group too - I will give the first book a miss now and join in with the next selection if that is OK?

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I think either Safe Haven or Little Bee, but whatever everyone decides will be fine with me. :)

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Sue,

Anyone can join at any time, and we'd love to have ya! On page 5 is a link in my one post that takes you to the BAM (Books A Million) website and the list of books for next months (February) selection. Just pick a book from the first 10 listed and let me know what your choice is. I'll post the winning book on the Feb. 1.

Also, there is a list of guidelines as well as the questionnaire itself to be answered when you've completed the book.

Again, welcome!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Got me thinking of the saying '....get my hands on a good book.' Although DH has a Sony Reader, I guess I'm old school and still desire having the real deal in my hand. The real McCoy. To ogle the jacket cover that tells a story in itself, to the well-worn pages that harbor a diverse array of smells unique to each and every book (and yes, I smell the little buggers sometimes.) There is something about the whole experience, and I just can't get that from an e-reader. I've tried, I really have, but it just doesn't work for me.

I don't knock the e-readers; I was thrilled to get ours and thought it was the next best thing to chocolate. But it is just not the same - chocolate is better. Just kidding. But, if I'm finding myself unable to secure a book from the library in a timely manner, or it's too expensive to buy.......I will resort to uploading a free ebook from our library. Sure hope this doesn't happen!

Okay, I'm done showing how old fashioned I am. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of the ladies who are reading The Recipe Club. Take a gander at next months selection and let me know which one catches your eye.

I'm trying to stay warm here in Ohio, and am stealing myself for the dreaded propane bill that is sure to come in a day or two. Yikes! DH and I think it'd be best to view it while sitting down with a good stiff drink in each hand. (No, we don't drink - but it might help with the shock.)

At the moment, though, I'm desperately trying to learn how to crochet while watching the snow come down. After several weeks and countless tries at trying to work stitches into that dreadful thing they call THE CHAIN, I think I may be getting somewhere.

BRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile
1. Which character do you like the most, and why?
I liked Val the best…She was more serious and real to me. I could relate to her character better, maybe because I am more like her.
The least and why?
I did not care for her mother, because I have a hard time understanding anyone staying so sick for so long with this type of illness. Maybe because I have seen a bit of this type of thing?

2. What passage stood out in the book to you?

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?
I have had a couple close friends …… and we grew apart though the years…and at times we still touch base with each other, and we know we love one another, but I is still different somehow as time gets away and we all go on with our lives. Reminds me to give them a call and say hello!!

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before?
Never give up on a treasured relationship! Think I will call an old friend tomorrow for sure!

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book?
Yes, I have realized I can read a different type of book, than I normally would. Usually, I will just pick up biographies.

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book?
Can’t say that I have, other than to call a couple of friends and say hello! That would probably be a good thing to do!!

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you?
I felt a bit angry with Val’s mom….being so stuck in her room!
This story reminded me that time really does go by fast, and if we are to do something, do it today, before it is too late!

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not?
I liked it immediately!!

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book.
I liked the fact that the friends reconnected at the end!!
Your least favorite?
The loss of the baby and the some of the language

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why?
I guess I would change the recipes….not that they weren’t good….just that I never read a single one!! I was in too big a hurry to read the story itself!
Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional).
For sure I would give it a 10.... I liked the way they struggled to keep their friendship going though the years. That can be hard to do when you are growing in different directions.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen! I will continue to read The Recipe Club, but just for pleasure for now. I will definitely join in on the next book though!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Hhhhmmmm, the link on page 5 led me to one specific book, not a list. Am I missing something? Anyway, I'm interested in joining up!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd add my thoughts on our next book selection. Water for Elephants, Half Broke Horses, and Little Bee, all look interesting. Of course, I'll be happy to read whatever is chosen! I finished The Recipe Club and will answer questions as soon as I master "copy and paste"! Lol! Maggie MB
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  05:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hang in there Karen! You'll get that crocheting down. It took me three or four attempts before I finally got it and I'm still only on easy projects like dishrags and scarves. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to vote for the name of our group .... "Once Upon a Book"
Also, I vote for reading Jeanette Walls book called, "Half Broke Horses".
DebbieSue
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  07:35:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheresaB

Hhhhmmmm, the link on page 5 led me to one specific book, not a list. Am I missing something?

Theresa, hello and welcome! I'll update our group list to include you ASAP.

When you click on the link, you'll find that the remainder of the list is towards the bottom in a separate box titled Recommendations. Click on the numbers in the top of that box to get to the other books.

Glad to have ya!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  07:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Updated our group list, and made note of next months choices that I've received so far. Also made note of who likes what for our group/club name so far. I'm so excited, and just want to give us a name so we can be 'official!'

Melanie, I bought some yarn last night called Spa from Caron. It's a VERY soft and silky bamboo blend. I think I've got the basics down enough to where I can start a simple scarf pattern. This stuff is THE softest yarn I've ever felt - it would be heaven to feel this against my neck on a cold winter day!

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Last day to vote on February's selection, ladies! I'll post the selection tomorrow morning, EST. If there's a tie I'll have my daughter pull one from a hat. Don't know about you but I'm sure pining to start a good read.

Buzzn Bee, I like the idea of a bookmark swap! If you have any ideas on the guidelines let me know. One can never have enough bookmarks!

Also, please let me know of any more book group/club name suggestions. I'll tally the votes on Lovey Dovey Day (Valentine's). If I have no votes I'll have my handy dandy daughter pull one from a hat.

For anyone who is or will be in this upcoming storm.......PLEASE be safe. Hope you have all your bases covered and a game plan in place if worse comes to worse. We're to be in the freezing rain side of it but one never knows how the storm will track. You'll all be in my thoughts.

Karen

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  05:57:34 AM  Show Profile
And the winner is........Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks!

Please be safe out there for those who live in the Eastern US, what a storm. I can handle the snow - but ice? Oye

Happy reading,

Karen

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  06:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

I would love to join!! Just requested Safe Haven from my library. Hopefully I will get it in time! What agreat idea. Thanks for all your work. . . now to pick that name!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Marianne,

Thanks so much for joining! I also had to request the book from our library, but I may not get it until the 11th. It'd be awful easy to just go and buy it, but I can't keep doing that every month. (sigh)

I'll add you to our growing list of ladies!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

fairlee
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Fairlee
Hamlin Texas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:41:49 PM  Show Profile
I m new but would love to be included if it is not too late. Thank you have a great nite and God bless-Fairlee
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've download the book to my nook (yes, oh so dangerous . . . )!!!! I'm ready!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  5:21:41 PM  Show Profile
I am going to have to take my name off the list for our reading group right now as I am not going to have much time right now to do this with some family things coming up over the next months. Sorry!

Blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  05:12:31 AM  Show Profile
Fairlee, we'd love to have ya! This month's selection is Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks - sure to be a good read for a cold February. I'll add you to our list pronto.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi there,
I'm interested in a reading group too...and only because I'm part of a face-to-face bookclub that meets monthly, can I offer a couple suggestions that have worked for our group?

* Allow people to "hostess" for the month - meaning that person gets to choose the book of her choice, start the discussion, and be somewhat responsible for keeping the discussion going by finding online discussion questions or using the ones at the back of many books. What is wonderful about the hostess idea is that I've read so many books that I loved that I never would have chosen on my own. It's probably the greatest gift of my F2F book club.

Keep me posted (and don't feel obligated to my suggestion!! )

Oops - new here and didn't see the seven pages already dedicated to this topic...Forgive me!!

Edited by - DeniseMGM on Feb 02 2011 08:17:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  8:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karen, I can definitely join in this one! My Mom owns the book, she is a huge Nicholas Sparks fan! I am so excited now!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  08:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Denise, welcome! I'm excited as well to read books of a genre that I normally wouldn't have read. I'm willing to try anything and step outside of my box. This is how I got onto Jodi Picoult from a coworker of mine.

I'll add you to our group list, and I hope you enjoy this months selection 'Safe Haven' by Nicholas Sparks.

Karen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page