Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile
I have almost finished the book. It is on my nook and finally my hubby reminded me I had to get up to work this morning...Great questions Karen. LIke the name for our group too.

blessings
TAmmy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Book questions:

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why?

I loved Lilly as she seemed the most delicate. I disliked Katherine for her eccentric behavior, lifestyle and inability to be a warm 'Mom.'

2. What passage stood out in the book to you?

".......anger is the teacher, and forgiveness the lesson........"

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?

Val, for her lack of self confidence.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before?

That stepping out of one's comfort zone in the type of book they normally read can be very enlightening, and enjoyable.

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book?

That even people that are labeled 'bad' can sometimes find it within themselves to redeem their faults and make things right. That even if they're unsuccessful, they found the gumption to try.

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book?

No, not really.

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you?

Lightheartedness.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not?

It had me from the first page. At 48, I'm in a similar situation with a friend (?) of 30+ years.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite?

Most favorite: The recipes! Who can resist food?! I had no least fav's about it. Absolutely nothing bad to say about the story line, the author's, their style, etc. Just a good read that I couldn't put down.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why?

I wish it had a list of characters. No, there wasn't a lot of characters in this book, per se, but their individual personality traits were so diverse that it was a bit hard to keep track of who was whom. Hence, this is why I spoiled the book for myself looking for this list in the back of the book - when I inadvertently saw the wedding menu for Ben and Lilly!!!!

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional).

I give it a 9.

Karen (Age 48)

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List

Edited by - missusprim on Jan 14 2011 6:48:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile
Karen, maybe instead you can see if anyone has any ideas about naming this reading group that they might like to submit to you. Then like with the current selection of the book we are to be reading, we can select with the entries our favorite. Tally up the votes and then go from there.

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:05:56 AM  Show Profile
I haven't even started as I had to order it and it is still not here so I will be away from here till I can catch up. See you soon I hope
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Jan 13 2011 09:06:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile
I am still waiting for my book to arrive..... so I am having to skip all the questions and answers at this time.... in the meantime I will think about any name or names that might interest me even more. Your title idea is nice for the 3 B-B-B hooked up together. I'd just like to play around with something more than the barynyard and the babes though. I'd like something that goes beyond the barnyard and gives me a view of the farm that stretches out on the land in the sunlight's rays and warms my heart.I want to sit outside in the sunlight and read under a tree with the leaves shimmering in the gentle breeze.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Glad I asked for your thoughts - I was coming up dry on just the right title for our group. Among other things, I'd like something classy, catchy, a wee bit witty, and doesn't demoralize the strong farm women that we are - all with a farm, outdoorsy, country slant. Feel free to throw me your ideas, ladies. Of course, if we get enough names, we can take a vote.

SantaTeresita, your vision of reading under a tree sure makes me pine for spring......sigh.

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Karen, you can just call me Teresita.

Yes, I love spring and summer. Those are my two favorite seasons of the year. I like it sunny! So I can't wait for spring and all the gifts that nature brings our way for us to appreciate and enjoy.

Sometimes we get so busy that we don't see all the beauty that is all around us every day. Spring is a wake-up call to take the time to look around and see the beauty and the miracle of being alive. That's how what spring means to me. My step is a little lighter too and of course when the sun shines, that's tops for me. You'll see me with a bigger and brighter smile on my face.

Reading wisks me away to meet new people, revisit old friends, and to places that I know and don't know and stir feelings. I might cry and laugh at the same time. I love reading and did come up with a few name ideas to submit that may interest some of our readers here....

"Sunshine on MJ'S FARM Reading Circle"

"Booking Along on MJ'S FARM"

" MJ'S FARM Fabulous and Friendly Readers"

"Book Chatter for Booklovers on MJ'S FARM"

Edited by - SantaTeresita on Jan 14 2011 3:47:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  1:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Guess what I got in the mail today??? I can not wait to start reading later tonight.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:30:44 PM  Show Profile
I could not figure out to transfer the questions, but here are a few thoughts. I remember as a young girl having friends that grew away from meand I know people that had that done to them. Of the characters, I really didnt like them to much. I have known girls like to two in the book, so they were pretty real. I identified with Val about self confidence. I was out of my comfort zone reading about them. For some reason I was irrated. I felt sorry for Val often, but she was the "normal one and the most likable to me. I deceided within a dozen pages I didnt like the book very much. I rate the book at a 3 for my interest, however, the book rates at least an 8 for story and presentation.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile
I want to add that I am 69 yrs old and have read a lot of books with losts of plots. I think a woman in her 20s or 30s or 50s might see the book in differents lights. I think it would be interesting to know the ages or approx( 20s-30s-40s-50s etc) to see if there is a difference of opinion based on age and experience. Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  6:17:34 PM  Show Profile
1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why? I liked Valerie probably because I saw a little bit of me in her. I didn't like Katherine at all. She was very selfish and not motherly and only thought of what was in it for her.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you? ".......anger is the teacher, and forgiveness the lesson........"

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? Valerie being very involved with her books and studies and feeling uneasy about fitting in.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before?no

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book?not really

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book?no

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? kindness and love for others. We need more of it and this story really showed what happens when it is lacking in life.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? I was hooked right away.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite? The recipes...who wouldn't like to cook and least was the use of some of the bad language. I don't really care for bad language.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? Have more information about Val's father. He seems to be a character that is in the story but not. I would have liked to get to know him better.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional).
I give it an 8.

I enjoyed the book a great deal. Being 45 I remember wanting to fit in like Valerie and writing letters to my best friend and so it reminded me of some of my growing up times.

Blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gentlewoman farmer

I want to add that I am 69 yrs old and have read a lot of books with losts of plots. I think a woman in her 20s or 30s or 50s might see the book in differents lights. I think it would be interesting to know the ages or approx( 20s-30s-40s-50s etc) to see if there is a difference of opinion based on age and experience. Just a thought.

Judy, that is a wonderful idea, and I couldn't agree with you more. Knowing our groups age would give us insight into what's behind their answers.

On that note, I'm going to revise the rules and give our readers the option to include their age (or age group?) when they post their answers.

Also, in a separate post I'll list who is in our group so far.

Happy reading!
Karen

P.S. I'm 48!

Edited by - missusprim on Jan 14 2011 10:18:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Here's our group so far!

missusprim (me)
knittinchick
knittingmom
gramadinah
classygram
Cindy Lou
melanie47601
cntrygrl
buzzn bee
CountryLisa72
redwater
SherBear
newheart
DebbieSue
Mommyswanson
Breanna
graciegreeneyes
TexBetsy
MaggieMB
gentlewoman farmer
MazieKay
sue5901
TheresaB
rough start farmgirl
Fairlee
DeniseMGM
cathymark4ever
vmfein
latepmcreations
katnip05
hiscountrypumpkin
SylviaE
rebekahj
7 apples
kathleenshoop
Tammyb
Wheeza
countryteacher
osagegypsy

Welcome one and all!

Karen

Edited by - missusprim on Jul 14 2011 12:59:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  3:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I think a reading group is actually more fun when we don't know our ages. We are focusing on our thoughts and not our chronological age. It tends to have people make assumptions that aren't always the case. I think it's our thoughts and sentiments that are most important.

Young and young-at-heart...... just let the thoughts glide across the page. What's age got to do with it anyways! It's a just a number. Age tends come along and type someone. We have to deal with age information in our daily lives. all the time .... for important papers, filling out surveys, going to the dentist, the doctor, all kinds of matters. To read a book, that should be the one time we can sit back and let our thoughts and sentiments just free-float like the gull soaring over the waves. No need to contain our wings and get hooked up on age.

Go to Top of Page

CountryLisa72
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Lisa

58 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  5:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Can I join>?
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:38:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CountryLisa72

Can I join>?

Absolutely! You can read the rules, etc. on page 2 of this thread.

Welcome!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

Maziekay
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Mary Kay
Concord Ca
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  7:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Sign me up too! I just finished the book this _morning and loved it! I finished it in two days. What's our next book lol! :-D

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Got ya down, MazieKay! Looking forward to reading your answers to the questionnaire.

Welcome!

Karen

Edited by - missusprim on Jan 17 2011 06:01:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why? I probably liked Arthur the most. He was a gentle, caring, loving, and forgiving father and husband, even though it seemes like he had his head in the sand at times. Least liked? Katherine the Great or Isaac. I'd say I disliked them both the most. They seemed entirely comsumed with themselves with little thought given to those around them.

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? Valerie some. Her shyness, feeling invisible and awkwardness.

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? anger and then love.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not? i liked it in the beginning, then I hated it, then I liked it again

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite? My favorite thing was Lilly and Valerie finally made up and became great friends and sisters. My least favorite- Val giving up the baby. :(

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? Val would keep the baby.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional). I give this book about a 7. I liked it but can't say I loved it.

I may come back and answer a few more of these questions. I've got some sinus stuff going on right now so my head is still a bit foggy.

Melanie

PS. I'm 32 years old.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  05:58:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
........Lilly and Valerie finally made up and became great friends and sisters. My least favorite- Val giving up the baby. :(......

Good points, Melanie, and I'd have to say that these two were among my top likes/dislikes as well. There didn't seem much mention (other than once if memory serves me right) that refers to her regretting her choice later. Their becoming 'sistahs' made the ending sweet.

Hope you get to feeling better - this seems to be the winter of particularly bad colds with the added 'bonus' of hard-to-tame sinus issues.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
.......kindness and love for others. We need more of it and this story really showed what happens when it is lacking in life.......

Reading this book was a longer, more detailed example of this. We got the past, present and future extended version of this. Am sure many can relate - myself included.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  06:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Judy (aka gentlewomanfarmer) -

Hope you received my response to your difficulties in copying and pasting. I emailed it to you, but if you'd like I can post it here. I'd be glad to walk you through it.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Okay, ladies! A few important updates here.

Firstly, I'm thinking of canning the idea of waiting until Feb. 1 to post the BAM selection for next month. I'm thinking that most of you are avid readers and would like to, at the very least, lay eyes on the all important list to chose February's book. So I'm simply going to post February's (BAM's JANUARY) selection NOW. Below is the link, and please remember to make your selection from the first ten. If I get enough interest in doing more than one book a month, we'll try that!

http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781416586296?id=4924233875027

Also, below is a suggested list of names I've received so far for our little family of readers here. Any more out there? We need a name :)

Barnyard Babes Book Club
Red Rooster Reading Room
Novel Cultivators
Once Upon a Book
Bookworm Beauties
MJF Bookworms
Literacy Gardeners

Hope you're all staying warm and dry!

Karen

Edited by - missusprim on Jan 21 2011 08:21:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  11:28:10 AM  Show Profile
I like Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks and I love the name Once Upon A Book. Just my two cents worth.

Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Questionnaire

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why?
Katherine ..UGH! To self absorbed. Sadly, she made me think of
what my own mother must have been like at that age. Always thinking
of herself and no one else. Real dram Queen!

" Anger is the teacher, and forgiveness the lesson"

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?
I would say Valerie. Always looking for and wanting approval from
others, but not in a "Look at me, Aren't I wonderful attitude.
When younger, I think books became my "escape" if you will. Also
wanting to trust others when sadly they proved to be untrustworthy.

In lifes journey, kindness to others always wins the prize!

Meaning of true friendship.

I have taken a big long hard look to see where I might improve
myself and be a better friend.

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you? Sadness, but yet,
hope.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not?
It took a little bit to comprehend the style of writing.
At first, I thought UGH! but by the 10th. page, I found I could not
put the book down. I even begged off for my husband to fix dinner,
so I could continue to read. There were many moments of keeping me
on the edge of my seat so to speak.
9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite?
The creativity which held my attention span.
Least favorite. I did not see any reason to use inappropriate language. The coarse talk did nothing to entice the reader to continue. Also,I do not like to hear my God's name used in vain.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why? I would have the truth about Isaac and his being a father to
Lilly and Valerie come out a little sooner than it did.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional). I would rate the book a 9 for its creative
witing and the contrast of how two individuals think. Without the coarse language, I would have given it a 10. Unfortunately, I would feel compelled to warn others of the language before reading. I do not like to spend money on books that support inappropriate language.

I will be anxious to read the next book.
Happy reading ladies!

Karen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - missusprim on Jan 14 2011 6:54:59 PM

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page