Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mean people Next Topic
Page: of 3

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:31:47 AM  Show Profile
I think it's interesting that so many of you have had bad experiences working with other women. Personally, the worst work situations I've been in have been when I'm working for male managers. And I was always bullied by boys, not girls, back in school.

I think the general work "culture" makes more of a difference than the gender of the people you work with. When I worked for a large bookstore chain, my specific store was a very good place to work. There was no big divide between managers and workers. We all went out together, some of us were roommates or started bands together. I heard from people who worked at other stores in our chain that this was very unusual. When I started doing office work, I found myself in the opposite situation. The managers treated us secretaries like dirt, and the secretaries were suspicious and resistant to any of the managers' innovations. Interestingly, most of the managers were male and all of the secretaries were female. In this situation, I found these women to be the most supportive and understanding bunch I had ever been around. I think adversity was bringing out their good side - too bad that doesn't happen every time.

Regardless of gender, working with good people makes your whole life better and working with mean or self-centered people is the pits. I hope all of you who are in bad work situations will find better ones soon!
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jerri, welcome and I have lived my life by that - avoid negative people. I gave my children that same advice when they were still in school. My middle son got picked on a lot cuz he was a little different than the others, more sensitive and very thin (and people "peers" always ask him if he is gay...geez) So I told him that as much as he possibly could, avoid those people. I don't tell my children things that I myself don't do. But it isn't always possible to avoid them, especially when the office is small. But thanks for the extra bit of advice. As soon as I can, I will move on to another job.

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Not everyone is as nice and forgiving, and understanding, as the MJ FARMGIRLS. Little minds, cause big problems, just keep putting out the honey and hope it wins over the vinegar.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  03:24:16 AM  Show Profile
My mother in law used to say you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!! And ain't it the truth what you said Nancy!! MJ Farmgirls are the best!!

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mean people Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page